Author Topic: Surfing Quotes  (Read 5128 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Surfing Quotes
« on: April 15, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
I was looking up a surf quote for another thread and came upon this list of quotes. If you know any good ones tack them on.

Bob

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the-best-surfing-quotes-of-all-time

"The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun."
Phil Edwards
"Out of the water, I am nothing."
Duke Kahanamoku
"My passion for surfing was more than my fear of sharks."
Bethany Hamilton
"Surfing is attitude dancing."
Gerry Lopez
"Surfing to me is like playing music. You play different melodies with different boards."
Skip Frye
"We're all equal before a wave."
Laird Hamilton
"Never drive away from good surf."
Roger Sharp
"Being spat out of one of those giant, roaring Hawaiian tubes is the most amazing sensation I've ever experienced in my life. It's joy, fear, and accomplishment all rolled into one experience."
Shaun Tomson
"Foam is your friend. Don't be scared of it. A little bit of extra foam here and there is good for the soul and your surfing."
Rob Machado
"Surfing's one of the few sports that you look ahead to see what's behind."
Laird Hamilton
"A big wave is like a beautiful woman, exciting to look at and thrilling to ride."
Buzzy Trent
"The biggest sin in the world would be if I lost my love for the ocean."
Laird Hamilton
"There is no one right way to ride a wave."
Jamie O'Brien
"There are a million ways to surf, and as long as you're smiling, you're doing it right."
Unknown Author
"Surfing in crowds is like mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Brodus Rogers
"Wiping out is an underappreciated skill."
Laird Hamilton
"It's like the mafia. Once you're in - you're in. There's no getting out."
Kelly Slater
"I don't see any difference between bodyboarding and surfing - it's all surfing."
Tom Morey
"Your surfing can get better on every turn, on every wave you catch. Learn to read the ocean better. A big part of my success has been wave knowledge."
Kelly Slater
"Style is a natural extension of who you are as a person."
Mark Richards
"Sometimes, I feel like a two-bit version of Mickey Dora."
Phil Edwards
"It's all about where your mind's at."
Kelly Slater
"I invented localism."
Miki Dora
"The joy of surfing is so many things combined, from the physical exertion of it to the challenge of it, to the mental side of the sport."
Kelly Slater
"I think when a surfer becomes a surfer, it's almost like an obligation to be an environmentalist at the same time."
Kelly Slater
"I don't need sponsors. I surf better when I'm broke anyway."
Dave Parmenter
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer."
Jack O'Neill
"I took off on a wave, went down the side, popped out the other end, and went, s--t, I'm still alive!"
Greg Noll
"It's a culmination of your life of surfing when you turn and paddle in at Mavericks."
Jeff Clark
"I surf to get tan."
Shane Dorian
"If you're having a bad day, catch a wave."
Frosty Hesson
"If in doubt, paddle out."
Nat Young
"I am not famous. I am a worker."
Adriano de Souza
"It's not tragic to die doing something you love."
Mark Foo
"Eddie would go."
Mark Foo
"I've committed to surfing the rest of my life."
Lance Armstrong
"I think you could build a couple of humans with the amount of skin lost on the reef at Pipe."
Martin Potter
"I try changing my surfing, which is the absolute worst thing you can do. Everyone surfs their own way. If I try to surf like someone else, I look like a dork."
Andy Irons
"Waves are not measured in feet and inches. They are measured in increments of fear."
Buzzy Trent
"Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you've done it."
Paul Strauch
"Surfing is for life."
Bruce Jenkins
"When the surfs up, your life is too."
Wilhelm Sverdvik
"If there were no such thing as barrels, I probably wouldn't even surf."
Clay Marzo
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."
John Kabat-Zinn
"The three most important things in life: surf, surf, surf."
Jack O'Neill
"One drop-in is an accident, two is rude, three is a twatable offense."
Roger Sharp
"Sometimes in the morning, when it's a good surf, I go out there, and I don't feel like it's a bad world."
Kary Mullis
"Surfing soothes me. It's always been a kind of Zen experience for me. The ocean is so magnificent, peaceful, and awesome. The rest of the world disappears for me when I'm on a wave."
Paul Walker
"One of the greatest things about the sport of surfing is that you need only three things: your body, a surfboard, and a wave."
Naima Green
"I've tried body surfing. It's nice."
Ziggy Marley
"It's funny, 'cause you think surfing is your whole life, but then when you make a family and it seems like it's not at all."
Joel Parkinson
"Surfing is almost a way to fly."
Jeff Hakman
"Surfing is the most blissful experience you can have on this planet, a taste of heaven."
John McCarthy
"There is nothing, nothing, more sad than a surfer who used to surf."
Unknown author
"I love surfing more than cricket. It's more interesting, and you meet great people."
Hansie Cronje
"There's nothing quite like surfing by yourself in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but unpredictable weather patterns, below deck accommodation, sea snakes, coral cuts, and packs of reef sharks make it a trip for the committed seadog."
Mark Thornley
"I wanted to be the best shaper in the world - except, you later realize, there's no such thing."
Al Merrick
"Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life."
Matt Warshaw
"As for my own surfing, let's just say that when the waves start pushing 10 feet, I get this tremendous urge to make a sandwich."
Bruce Jenkins
"Surfing is such an amazing concept. You're taking on Nature with a little stick and saying, 'I'm gonna ride you!' And a lot of times, Nature says, 'No you're not!' and crashes you to the bottom."
Jolene Blalock
"If it swells, ride it!"
Unknown author
"I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea."
Captain James Cook
"Live to surf, surf to live."
Mike Doyle
"What I love the most about surfing is that it's my first love. It's the first thing I can remember being consumed by."
Stephanie Gilmore
"Surfing's the source. Can change your life. Swear to god."
The Surf Shop Kid (Christopher Pettiet) in "Point Break"
"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true."
Patrick Swayze
"The only one whom can whisper to you the ways of the surf is the wind."
Wilhelm Sverdvik
"Waves are toys from God."
Clay Marzo
"Charlie don't surf."
Lt Col William Kilgore
"Thank God for a few free waves."
Miki Dora
"It's a cakewalk when you know how."
Gerry Lopez
"Surfing leads you through life, especially when you're young and with hope in your heart."
Tom Blake
"The reason he [Duke Kahanamoku] didn't like me was that I liked him too much."
Dorian "Doc" Paskowitz
"You can take a surfer out of the surf, but you can not take surf out of surfer."
Bob McTavish
"Sliding a wave removes our brains out of the ordinary and slips us into the extraordinary of being there now - no more worries about mortgages or strife of being poor or rich. When you enter the domain of an ocean cylinder, that moment, those split seconds belong to the Zen part of just being. Period."
Bill Hamilton
"I don't want to be connected with surfing in a business way. I'd like to be a plumber."
Butch Van Artsdalen
"Climbers have Everest. Surfers have Nazaré."
António Silva
"Our lives are clickbait."
Albee Layer

“When the wave breaks here, don't be there.” Ever since Turtle broke it down to Rick Kane the sentiment has been repeated after every flogging.......
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing Quotes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »
Anything from Spicolli

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 11:16:45 PM »
Thanks. A fun collection to read n

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 12:33:13 AM »
The Lance Armstrong quote is just weird ??? That guy doesn't surf. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:01:35 AM »
First rule of surfing: when there's surf - surf
Second rule of surfing: never leave surf to find surf

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 11:07:36 AM »

Something tells me you've never seen him surf. I haven't either, but what else has he got?.

Here's my quote:
"You should have been here yesterday".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:19:35 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »
Surfer magazine caught up with him taking a beginning lesson.

"First thing you have to do is figure out whether you're goofy foot or dopy foot. Looks like you're a natural doper."

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:32:31 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:36:49 PM »
Here's mine.
"Yes there are sharks, but I never think about them."
It's not overhead to me!

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 06:45:36 PM »
Anything from Spicolli

I had no idea who this was! Found a Spicoli (Sean Penn) quote "Surfing is not a sport. It's a way of life - no hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying: 'hey bud, let's party!" "Oh, gnarly!"
https://youtu.be/sKrpl-KBTzQ
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:49:39 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:07:42 PM »

Something tells me you've never seen him surf. I haven't either, but what else has he got?.

Lance can surf.  He's a damn good paddler too.  He's fearless on the north shore.  He loves Maui. 

What's he got?  Oh yeah, the social pariah thing.  That's old news.  He was a dick.  He agrees and has been talking about it for years.  He's not proud of his behavior and has moved on.  He was a star at 18.  Some wealthy backers saw the potential, groomed him and turned him into a - well - you know the story.   

The cliffnotes version is that pro cycling was - and remains - a black sport.  Lance Inc. got a belly full and fought back.  They had a plan, financed it and it worked.  He kicked their teeth in for years, got rich, banged countless broads and flamed out spectacularly.  He's fine now.  He hit it big in the market and got his generational wealth back. Big family, fit, articulate and wise beyond his 49 years.  He's had one hell of a life.

Check out his podcast interview with Charles Barkley.  They chat a bit of how they deal with the people that turned on them when they were down.  Sir Charles, he's a straight shooter.  So is Lance.  Astonishing athlete.         
Support your local shaper

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »
I'll dislike the guy because he's a perpetual liar. Astonishing Doper. Survived the shame with a bunch of money. I guess Maui loves him?
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:52 PM »
I'll dislike the guy because he's a perpetual liar. Astonishing Doper. Survived the shame with a bunch of money. I guess Maui loves him?

Not me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 05:49:45 AM »
I had no idea who this was! Found a Spicoli (Sean Penn) quote "Surfing is not a sport. It's a way of life - no hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying: 'hey bud, let's party!" "Oh, gnarly!"

When you mentioned Turtle and Rick Kane the other day, I had no idea who they were.

I've known Spicoli since the early '80s.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 08:00:59 AM »
And don't forget
Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 02:21:23 PM »
At every beach there is a pack of locals, mostly older guys. All of them with vans. Some moderately employed, some moderately retired. They love to stand on the bluff, car park, trail head, or pier entrance and drink coffee. Stand close enough and you can hear these same quotes from LaJolla to Tofino:

"Can't believe the number of kooks in the water today" - Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"If the tide was right this would be a good day to go out" - Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"There's so many groms in the water its not even worth going out today" - Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"Can't believe how many fuckin' pansies show up when the weather is warm, where were you when it was 38 degrees and raining?" Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"Look at this kook, trying to go right on a left" - Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"Wind is going to pick up in 20 minutes or I would be out there"  - Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"Didn't even put on my suit Saturday it was a zoo" -  Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"Doesn't anyone work anymore?" Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

"This pier/jetty used to break perfectly until (insert agency) built the (insert object), mother fuckers." Old guys with arms crossed on the bluff

Never hear this stuff in Hawaii, the old guys all actually surf there.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal