Author Topic: KeNalu Paddle Catastrophe  (Read 2911 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
KeNalu Paddle Catastrophe
« on: April 15, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »
Okay, just kidding. My beautiful KeNalu Mana got a little smashed and serrated on one of the edges. (See pictures.) Not too bad but it feels like it could cut my face in a wipeout and maybe the hydrodynamics or structural integrity are a bit compromised? I wonder if I should maybe try to clean it up, sand it lightly, apply some special resin or epoxy..., buy a new blade...? Any advice is welcome.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:24:12 PM by zacksc »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: KeNalu Paddle Catastrophe
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:24:44 PM »
Just add resin you'll be good for a hundred more sessions.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:27:42 PM »
Is it important to try to maintain that interesting curvature of the thin edge of the KeNalu Mana? It has a very thin edge that kind of recurves backward. I don't what the theory is, but the Mana blade has a great feel in the water. I think maybe somebody knew something.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:29:19 PM »
I am just noticing now how different it is in terms of the edge details from other paddles I have owned such as quickblade or Kailoa.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:26 PM »
Send a picture to Lane. He'll probably offer you a reduced price on a replacement blade. and yes, you can still sand it and fix it. At one point we did a "forever paddle" warranty that sold replacement parts for damaged components at cost of production plus shipping no matter how the damage occurred. Blades are the highest cost component, but not expensive to ship. That was a long time ago, but the idea was simply to keep the cost down for repair and encourage continued use.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 01:41:25 PM »
Thanks Bill. Is it pretty important to maintain the detailed curvature of the edge? Those paddles have a beautiful feel in the water. Want to explain the rationale of the edge curvature?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »
I don't know--I sold my interest in the company long ago, before the Mana's were designed. Lane Mead was the paddle designer, I was in charge of marketing, sales, and building the tech to test the paddles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »
what happened to cause this? reef?

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 07:14:49 PM »
cause unknown.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 09:58:35 PM »
I don't know--I sold my interest in the company long ago, before the Mana's were designed. Lane Mead was the paddle designer, I was in charge of marketing, sales, and building the tech to test the paddles.
Well, I think it is a pretty great paddle design. Lane must know what he is doing. I will send him an email. What paddle do you use for wave riding?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal