Author Topic: What to do when caught inside?  (Read 10974 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: What to do when caught inside?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
Hi,

I've supped and foiled up to 10 foot waves on big boards at spots that pack a punch, if the leash is breaking in 3-4  foot surf something is amiss...

My leashlock waist belts are 2+ years going strong, can't speak for their leashes.  Sticky bumps full coil have worked for me, no breaks, cut one on a mast trailing edge.

Currently testing Kaohi leashes
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »
Here is a video I made of the tail handle in Action.

You have to make sure the tail handle stretches, and will allow you to release your grip.  Otherwise it will pinch you fingers to the board or rip your fingers off  . . . which is nice.

These tail handles keep the board close and will perform in up to ~ 5 feet of whitewater 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »
Lots of support for the tail handles on the previous page including the 19 pages that taught me or convinced me to use and make them.

Here was my version with some stretchy leach material attached by 3M stick on mounts.  These mounts STAY ON.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 06:41:48 AM »
I have to disagree Beasho. Tail handles don't need to be stretchy. I use my NSI handle in overhead surf all the time. It will never pinch or grab as long as you hold it with just your fingers and an open palm. Even in fairly big whitewater, my arm never gets pulled out straight and the board always stays right side up. Only in extreme whitewater slams does the board ever get pulled from my grip which is what you want to happen. It works perfectly with bare hands as well as gloves or mitts.

Stretchy handles might have some usefulness at Mavericks but for everyday surf conditions, the NSI is the way to go.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:09:46 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 06:21:27 PM »
Okay, I've got to figure this out and could really use some help.

I'm just starting my 2nd year SUP surfing and am more confident in getting out in surf up to 4-5'. However, if I blow a wave, or get caught inside, I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to recover my board quickly enough to get back on before the next wave hits. As a result, I end up taking 4-7 waves on the head with my board banging on the end of the leash. The board flips upside down 99% of the time and gives a terrible pull on the leash. I at least get back to the board and flip it right side up, usually...

Today, with an almost brand new 9mm and 9' leash from leashlock (5th day of use) I didn't make it back to the board in time (Starboard 9'8" blend element). The wave (3-4') grabbed the already upside down board, yarded it horribly, and snapped the leash quite violently with a nasty recoil that struck me hard, and sent my board dangerously loose back to shore.

Still being somewhat new, I try to avoid paddling out when anyone is around me, to make sure if I do lose my board it doesn't hit anyone, but this leash breaking issue has to stop. This is my second broken leash and it's putting myself and everyone around me in danger when it happens.

#1 How do I control a board like this when caught inside. If you cannot get back on in time, do you try and hold the tail? Do you try and push it forward over the wave (seems wildly dangerous).

#2 This leash was not cut by the fin. It broke near the attachment to the board, a few inches away from the swivel where it couldn't have reached a fin. Is this not a suitable leash? I was assured by the sales team "this is the best leash for the most extreme conditions" but having it break after 5 days of 3-4' surf seems absurd.

#3 Is this board just too big for the leash? I'm getting a new board soon, 120 or 130L which will be a drop from the 146 on this board. Is the decrease in volume going to help here?

I really need to figure this out, for the safety and enjoyment of myself and everyone around me.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Wow : last time i broke a leashlok was in 10 foot faces  with a year old leash. But my board at that time was just 110l.

My 90 liter board barely gives a tug except in really powerful surf.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 06:27:14 PM »
instead of the tail handle i usually just put pressure on the kick pad. in anything under 6 feet that usually works. Above that and i dpnt want the board near me

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »
instead of the tail handle i usually just put pressure on the kick pad. in anything under 6 feet that usually works. Above that and i dpnt want the board near me

I've done that too and it works. It's a good alternative if no handle is available.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 06:57:19 AM »

Are you normally pushing down on the tail a good bit? I've tried to hold the tail pad, but it gets ripped away fast for me. I'm wondering if I should be trying to push the tail down and underwater?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 07:26:48 AM »
Yes, pushing down on the tail is key. You put your back to the whitewater, point the board toward shore, and the last second before the wave hits, you push down on the tail. The nose of the board will point up and the wave should pass by without taking it. Having a kick pad helps. It works best with smaller to medium sized boards.

I hold the paddle with one hand put one hand on top of the other as I push down.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »
I have one little wrinkle that I picked up from lonboarding. My log is probably nearly 90L, with a wide nose. My SUP is 135L. I have done this with both of them in all sizes of surf.

One thing I like to do whenever possible is turn the board nose first to the white water or breaking waves and give the nose a side hug. Gripping the board as hard as I can under my arm. Just before the wave hits, sink the nose and yourself as deep as possible, basically trying to get the tail out of the water. It is the reverse of using a tail handle, but you can get prone on the board a lot faster, headed the right direction if you think you can escape the impact zone. It also keeps you away from the fins.

I haven't found too many waves where this didn't work, and when it did rip the board out of my hand, it was a lot closer than if I was dangling at end of my leash.

The next key is to try and wipe out without your board squirting away from you. Usually just pawing at the rail as you fall is enough to get it under control before the next wave. With a sup you can use the paddle to paw at the board.

Also to the other points, the harder you can push down your nose or tail before the wave hits the easier it is to hang on. I have always just used my tail pad and pushed down and it works pretty well.
Make paddleboarding great again!

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
Yes, pushing down on the tail is key. You put your back to the whitewater, point the board toward shore, and the last second before the wave hits, you push down on the tail. The nose of the board will point up and the wave should pass by without taking it. Having a kick pad helps. It works best with smaller to medium sized boards.

I hold the paddle with one hand put one hand on top of the other as I push down.

Being relatively new to the sport I've never seen this handle topic.  So I have few questions.
 I remember I had a few situations when I fell off and and recovered board but had no time to get on the board  before next wave in a set came. So, while I'm holding the leash close to the leash loop, next wave pulls the board, twisted it and wedged my fingers to to the board. 
- would it happen if I hold the handle?

I use mostly larger boards. Curious if this method (trying to make the board vertical) would work on boards with large displacement.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 07:58:27 AM »

Being relatively new to the sport I've never seen this handle topic.  So I have few questions.
 I remember I had a few situations when I fell off and and recovered board but had no time to get on the board  before next wave in a set came. So, while I'm holding the leash close to the leash loop, next wave pulls the board, twisted it and wedged my fingers to to the board. 

I use mostly larger boards. Curious if this method (trying to make the board vertical) would work on boards with large displacement.

If you hold the handle with just the fingers and an open palm and push down on the tail, there should be very little pull on your arm and no twisting of the board.

It doesn't matter what size board you have. I had handles on my JL M-14 (290 liters) and M-12'6 (237 liters). I surfed both those boards quite a bit. Also the Tom Carrol Outer Reef 10'6 (165 liters) and more recently my 10'6 Hypr Gun (148 liters).

The main thing to remember when mounting the NSI handle is to turn the pads 90 degrees and place them 2.5 inches apart which gives the handle a comfortable curve.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:29:13 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »

If you hold the handle with just the fingers and an open palm and push down on the tail, there should be very little pull on your arm and no twisting of the board.

It doesn't matter what size board you have. I had handles on my JL M-14 (290 liters) and M-12'6 (237 liters). I surfed both those boards quite a bit. Also the Tom Carrol Outer Reef 10'6 (165 liters) and more recently my 10'6 Hypr Gun (148 liters).

The main thing to remember when mounting the NSI handle is to turn the pads 90 degrees and place them 2.5 inches apart which gives the handle a comfortable curve.
I have a tail handle on my 14' Hobie, but... with a big displacement touring / race board  that has a long pointed bow it's a little different. I can jam / power straight into the white water even paddling on my knees and just pierce thought it. Even if it's breaking on me I'll just keep the hammer down and tuck under it. The momentum of the displacement board and shape of the nose helps you go though even some really big surf. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:33 PM »
Tail handles work the same way leashes work--as a convenience. When you start looking at them as a safety feature you're wandering down the wrong path. Gear won't save you--YOU save you. Stuff breaks. You don't. You lose all your shit two miles out, you swim in. Simple as that. You keep going. No panic, no surrender. You just plug along and get back.

If you don't accept that, don't go out.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 04:24:02 AM »
Most spots I surf tend to be more forgiving at medium to high tide where as low tide especially on bigger days dump much harder.  Maybe consider going out during favorable tides until your more comfortable. 
Depending on how many waves come in a set, let a couple waves pass before taking your wave taking that first wave of the set means more on the head if you fall.
While I’m riding my wave sometimes I’ll look quickly out the back to see what’s coming and I’ll kick out to quickly paddle back to the lineup if I see more waves coming I’ll ride the wave as far as I can; from there I’ll decide whether the set has ended and paddle out or I’ll get out and walk to the paddle out zone if there is one.  Where I live there are jetties all along the beaches it’s physics that a current flows out to sea right along the jetty so that’s the spot to paddle out.  You do need to time this right on bigger days with current but on medium smaller days it’s no problem.
I don’t have the tail handle on my sup’s so the board is at the mercy of the waves while I’m going under.  When it’s smaller I’ll hold the board close or sometimes I’ll hold the flat strap(rail guard) of the leash, I don’t recommend this when it’s big.
Finally, on smaller to medium days I quickly get back on my board and I’ve learned to punch through the white water, as the wave approaches I paddle a couple strong strokes to gain momentum then I quickly go to a surf stance compress my body by crouching this pushes the nose down then when the wave hits I uncompressed a bit and shoot thru the wave, I quickly go to parallel stance and dig hard preparing for the next wave.
Happy SUP surfing.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal