Author Topic: Downwind board size and shape. Using a paddle.  (Read 8360 times)

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downwind board size and shape. Using a paddle.
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:34:33 AM »
Hi all,
I'm thinking about ordering custom downwind board.
Does anybody has experience or recommendations?
Size, volume, weight?

Regards

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind board size and shape. Using a paddle.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:32:15 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM6zkHJLTKM/?igshid=1o5o2rd1koce2

Not Personally but I’ve seen the designer riding the smallest of bumps on this design.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:22:20 AM »
Good question for a board designer who does foil downwinders. Anyone else will tell you what works best for them, designers know what works for customers. You might also try Mark Raaphorst--he does them constantly. www.oneflyingdutchman.com
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:23:59 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:58:44 AM »
I think for dw you don't need ultra short and wide. You need to go as narrow as possible but able to paddle strong. The reason why is you don't want something that stick. I think double concave help for take off and also for stability while paddling.

For exemple I went from 5'2 x 26 - 100L to 5'5 x 24.5 - 96L to now 5'7 x 22.5 - 91L (with more volume at the nose).

I think you need to put the fin box more forward than sup surf foil or wing board.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 03:11:54 AM »
Downwind SUP
https://shop.indiana-paddlesurf.com/foil-boards/wing-sup-foil-boards/indiana-6-3-sup-foil-110l-carbon.html

This is their specific DW sup foil board.
Compare it to the other wave sups in their line and the differerences are easy to see.

Wave SUP:
https://shop.indiana-paddlesurf.com/foil-boards/wing-sup-foil-boards/indiana-6-2-sup-foil-105l-carbon.html

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 10:58:23 PM »
I think for dw you don't need ultra short and wide. You need to go as narrow as possible but able to paddle strong. The reason why is you don't want something that stick. I think double concave help for take off and also for stability while paddling.

For exemple I went from 5'2 x 26 - 100L to 5'5 x 24.5 - 96L to now 5'7 x 22.5 - 91L (with more volume at the nose).

I think you need to put the fin box more forward than sup surf foil or wing board.
Thanks for the information French foiler. How much do you weight?
What about the tail? are you in favor of square or a pin tail?
Regards

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »

Thanks for the information French foiler. How much do you weight?
What about the tail? are you in favor of square or a pin tail?
Regards

I'm 1m70 and 75kg

Regarding the tail, I like the round tail

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »
Frenchfoiler, it looks like you are on a similar page to KD Maui with regards to longer and narrower. The box in the pictures you showed seems very far back (or it could be the angle of the photo) and the rocker is flat behind the mast? Don't you find the flatter tail rocker a problem wrt take-offs the longer the board gets and how do you compensate for that?

Would you say this design would double up as a decent Sup-wave foil and wing board?

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 09:15:42 AM »
Frenchfoiler, it looks like you are on a similar page to KD Maui with regards to longer and narrower. The box in the pictures you showed seems very far back (or it could be the angle of the photo) and the rocker is flat behind the mast? Don't you find the flatter tail rocker a problem wrt take-offs the longer the board gets and how do you compensate for that?

Would you say this design would double up as a decent Sup-wave foil and wing board?

There is another angle so you can see more the bottom of the board.

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 06:41:05 PM »
Getting the right DW foil board can really depend on the level you are at and your SUP ability skills.
 We make a downwind foil board line up which really suits a pretty wide part of the market https://www.oneoceansportsaustralia.com/shop/foil-downwind These are really nice and easy DW foil boards that lift of super easy that were very well tested before molding by me and Designer Ben.

We also have been working on the narrower and for the more experienced paddler, these are also a great option. For us, these are still in the prototype stages and until we have the sizes perfect for production we will make these as Customs. For sure going nice and narrow can have its advantages but if you can not get 4 to 10 good power stokes in then it will be better to go wider.

Nice and light boards also help so riding a heavy slug like so many out there will also make life hard. When getting into DW foiling you want to make life as easy as possible as it's hard enough without riding shit gear. It really is worth the learning curve and for me I find it the pinnacle of foiling and as much fun as foiling in the waves or wind wing foiling is nothing really compares to the feeling of just riding the ocean bumps on just your foil with just you and the ocean!!

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
Hi Jacko,
Thanks for the information. I have a Kalama 6,0 by 29,5, it's a good board but just too wide. I always ride with straps, which helps to position yourself in the right spot.
May I ask you two questions:
What is the weight of these boards?
What is your recommended wide for an intermediate-advance rider?
Regards

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi Jacko,
Thanks for the information. I have a Kalama 6,0 by 29,5, it's a good board but just too wide. I always ride with straps, which helps to position yourself in the right spot.
May I ask you two questions:
What is the weight of these boards?
What is your recommended wide for an intermediate-advance rider?
Regards

I would say you should be able to pop up DW on the board you have no worries. Weight on our boards is something we are always working on but lets say the 5'10 x 27.5 x 107L is 6kg maybe a touch under.

What board right really depends on your balance and what you can get good power down on. Our 27'5 production board is something I can pop up on super easy DW so that has been our baseline for quite a while.

My new narrow DW prototype boards which are still 5'10 x 23 x 92L are 5.4kg but most important for us are to keep the boards strong so as much as we can go lighter we like the fact the boards are still bombproof and light.

Jacko

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 04:48:50 AM »
 ;)

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 09:51:26 AM »

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal