Author Topic: Considering Foiling  (Read 2396 times)

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Considering Foiling
« on: April 17, 2021, 03:21:53 PM »
Technology has come a long ways and I'm considering giving foiling a try this year.

I live in Portland, so the Gorge is available for wind assisted foiling but I'm more interested in foiling out at the coast with a paddle. For learning to foil: is the current recommendation a boat rental and tow rope? or should I consider learning with my kite setup? I assume just going out to the ocean and trying to catch swell would be extremely difficult to learn.

Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Foiling
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 06:09:17 PM »
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but the easiest place to learn SUP foiling is the Gorge. Continuous swells, steep faced, and if you get up and run out of the strong swells you'll need as a newb then you sit down, put your feet down, and the escalator takes you back.

Honestly, I think getting dragged behind a boat teaches you to foil when you're being dragged behind a boat. I'd say my foiling progressed the fastest when I learned to wing foil, but I went to San Onofre a few times last winter and felt like I had to learn sup foil surfing all over again. I've sort of got it going again, but I suck less at winging than SUP foil surfing.

The coast is fine once you have the basics in place, but it's a tough place to learn. Probably the easiest spot is Indian Beach, but it gets crowded, and I imagine it's solid wavestorms now--because it's easy, and because everyone that ever surfed, or ever took a few lessons, is surfing now.

I SUP foil at Manzanita and Pacific Beach, but it's hit or miss. I don't bother with short sands or the cove--too many folks trying to act like Mickey Dora. The coast is going to rock with wing foiling. Manzanita is perfect for it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 06:51:28 PM »
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but the easiest place to learn SUP foiling is the Gorge. Continuous swells, steep faced, and if you get up and run out of the strong swells you'll need as a newb then you sit down, put your feet down, and the escalator takes you back.

Top 3 spots you'd recommend to practice/learn in the gorge? I tend to kite Stevenson a lot but as I'm sure you know that's not a spot for swell.

Am I better off going to the east? Arlington and areas out that way?

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »
Foil SUP is my favorite! Any chance u get to foil will help, I’m not a big fan of behind the boat but some people like it. I would just get out there with someone who can give you a lesson. Just make sure the conditions are good for learning and stay away from epic surf.
Kite foiling really helped me with the SUP.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:41:06 PM by supfoo »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:52:25 PM »
Well, since I really can't manage to downwind foil, I'm perhaps the wrong guy to ask. I can catch the waves when they're big, and ride them a little way, but I don't get far. But most folks start off at the Hatchery or Swell City. I like Stevenson a lot for wing foiling, but I've never seen anyone try to ride swells there. The best guys at this in the gorge, as far as I know are TJ at Big Winds, Rod Parmenter, and Chris Anderson. Of the three, Chris is the most likely to spend time teaching you how to do this. Both Rod and TJ are working too much to spare any precious river time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 07:44:29 AM »
I get all my SUP and kite gear from TJ so I'll get in touch with him. Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal