Author Topic: Headed to Hood River ( Advice needed )  (Read 3205 times)

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Headed to Hood River ( Advice needed )
« on: April 13, 2021, 09:54:34 PM »
Well it may be time to get off the island and see something new. We are thinking of going to see my daughter who lives outside of Seattle in Issaquah. Planning to go sometime this summer most likely in July but still unbooked at the moment. We will probably spend the first week in Issaquah and the next In Hood River. We’ve never been to the river but want to try foiling there too as Maui is the only place I have done it. Sooooo... looking for advice on the best location to stay and such. Someone at Big Winds said the viento run ends near the event center would be a good place but I’m sure others have opinions too. I am only planning to Downwind on a foil sup. I see there is a best western near there that looks like it could work. I welcome any ideas or suggestions in advance.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Headed to Hood River ( Advice needed )
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:22:51 PM »
The Best, Best Western is a shockingly good hotel and an excellent restaurant. When family comes to Hood River we put them up there. We take friends to dinner at the Best Western--fantastic food, and the outside dining is right on the river. Great place.

The easiest way to start playing in HR is at the event center. I assume you're talking about winging. The event center gives you a civilized start even when it's nuking since the big sand bar mellows the swells out a bit. Once you've figured things out there are about 160+ miles of world-class places to try. It's overwhelming.

It's you're considering downwind foil, then the easiest place to start is Swell City or the Hatchery. You're probably expecting little swells like Kihei. Think again. Steep faces, short period, and at the peak places--mast high on a windsurfer. But it's all wind swell, so the power is only down low.

PM me when you're coming and I'll hook you up with the right folks.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:25:51 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 02:47:02 PM »
Well hell, thanks for the post wrt going to Hood River! My kid moved to Vancouver, WA in Feb.

We're planning a two weekend trip in mid May, and never realized he's only about an out away from HR, and we were looking for some places to go see and visit during the week, while he's working, to then go bug him again the following weekend before flying home. I think we just found our weekly spot, and I can play while the wife does whatever. 🤷‍♂️

PB, anyone renting sup foil stuff up there, or do I have to bring my own? I ask, because we were planning on packing light, and I really don't want to buy a board/foil travel bag if I don't absolutely have to, since I very rarely ever leave SoCal to surf or foil (like never, this would be the first...lol). 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Yes, WindDance rents foil boards and foils. for that matter I can lend you some stuff but I doubt my boards would work for you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »
Hood River will make you totally nuts. It's one of the most intense places I've ever been. So much going on, and most of it focused on having fun or having great experiences. I get so spoiled.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:43:50 PM »
Thanks Bill. Best western it is. I’m not doing anything but downwinding on my sup. No winging for me. I too wondered about renting gear versus bringing my own. A bit of a pain traveling with gear but will do it if need be. Bill, will you be back in hood river by then or still here on Maui?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
I'm headed back about May 25 and will stay until November probably.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 03:38:42 PM »
I actually just booked flights to head back to Seattle for the first 2 weeks of July, and am planning on spending a few days in the gorge as well.  Already excited!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal