Author Topic: Black vs Red Axis  (Read 4550 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Black vs Red Axis
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:32:08 PM »
So are people hanging into their Surf Series(red) after getting into the Black series?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black vs Red Axis
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:20:32 PM »
Yeah, there's red fuse wings that are still super fun, and do somethings better than the black series...IMO.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:28:23 AM »
Califoilia, what is your combos? The 880 I was talking a bout just showed up and now I have new foil fever. Thinking of selling my 900 and 1010 but replacing them w a 980. The 900 on a shorty is such a sik surf setup though...1010 I don't get on with so well.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 03:37:16 AM »
Califoilia, what is your combos? The 880 I was talking a bout just showed up and now I have new foil fever. Thinking of selling my 900 and 1010 but replacing them w a 980. The 900 on a shorty is such a sik surf setup though...1010 I don't get on with so well.

Try the 880, the answer will be obvious
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 03:42:50 AM by Dwight (DW) »

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:03:13 AM »
I just had a side by side Black and Red comparison (83K/183lbs)just went out yesterday with 2 boards rigged on beach
#1 Gong HIPE 5'3" strapless 110L Axis 110cm mast US Red fuse 1010/460
#2 moon buddy 5' 80L 2 straps Axis 86cm mast US Black fuse 1050/390
Used SS Dart 4.5 with both wind was 15-20mph

Started with #1
First I will say that I am loving more every session with the 110cm mast. It is really fun flying almost 4' above the surface. I feel like there is noticeably better wind the higher I go. This mast doesn't flex at all as far as I can tell. The 1010 and the 1050 are almost the same outline and very similar foils. This foil has a nice carviness and flow to it. It requires a slightly different turn when driven by the 460 stab. I feel what people say about skidding but I am able to press it into a solid carve.

#2 I have been wanting to get on the Dart and start hucking all winter and it finally came together today. I have perfected the stinkbug start. I struggled with it for months but it clicked. The Dart plays a huge part in this. The extreme dihedral in the wing lets me crawl under the wing and hold the more aft front handle and grab the back handle before my front elbow (stabilizer) ever leaves the deck of board. Then its a gentle straight up to knees. Once standing, I then go into the front strap only with rear foot fore of the footstrap. I ride all around in this position until it is huck time. At that point I slide my rear foot back and into the strap which gives me a wide and stable athletic stance, ideal for sending. Jumping is easy once I get past all those steps. I jumped maybe 20 times and landed and rode out of 3 or 4. It is easy to get all back seat in the air and explode onto my ass. It reminds me of snowboarding off of cliffs before I knew how to stick landings. Anyway, the 1050 with the 390 felt loose and carvy. Like suttle  ankle and toe inputs to turn it. The 2 different setups were surprisingly similar due to the 2 super different tails. I think that I will try the 110 cm mast next time with the same moon buddy set up. Spring is here in Reno!!!!!!!!! Send It..........

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 09:49:08 PM »
If you look under my name, I'm fortunate to have a bunch of different options at my disposal, and don't have to try to choose maybe just a couple wings, tails, and/or fuses (of either color) for my needs.

That said, I still ride both colors, because I like to do different things at different times just to change things up. I was just on the 860 the other day because I like the way it carves, the 910 a few days before that, and was talking to a guy today who's loving his 900...and I truly meant that I almost have too many choices, because it's been months since I've ridden the 900/390/ultra short combo that has always been one of my all-round conditions kit favorites.

As far as the black series wings, as DW said, the 880 sits right in the prime position size and style wise for a sup foil...but that was before I rode the 810/420/crazy short today for the first time, and had my socks blown off with how sweet a wing it is. Popped right up on takeoffs in 2-3' windblown chop and slop (my previous unfounded concern was that it'd be too small to lift a sup), turned amazingly (gives the 860 a run for its money), and was a speed demon that was easy to fly high w/o breaching. The only negative - because of its smaller size - it didn't pump very well...but that was something I had expected anyway.

So if I had to choose just two wings right now, it would be the 980 for smaller days (it pumps great, and also turns surprisingly well for it's larger wingspan), and the 810 for bigger days (and just surf the crappola out of it). But since you already have the 880 (which is still a great choice), I'd sell the 900 and 1010, and use that money to buy either a 980 or 1050 for smaller days when the 880 might not stay in the air as easily as either of the other two do.

If you have any money left over from your foil sale, use it on a shorter black fuse than whatever one you got with the 880. I'm having any absolute blast on the crazy short fuse with the 980 down to the 810, and with red the 910 (going to try it with the 900 soon and maybe the 860). But if you have a short, get an ultra short...a true all-araund fuse that's I still really like when the crazy shorts are loaned out (which they are a lot :(:) ).

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 10:19:58 PM »
Right on Cali! Sounds like I'm on the right track. No swell or wind atm so I can't get out there to try out my 880, but you have alleviated my "lack of lift" concern. In the red series I've got crazy short up to short. In the Black I picked up an Ultra and will probably get a short for winging stability. I love trying to build the ultimate quiver. Now the question is 980 or 1050 like you say. Just in time for our surf season to die lol.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 10:38:21 PM »
wait until you try the 1300. Holy crap, why does this work like this???
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 11:07:11 AM »
Right on Cali! Sounds like I'm on the right track. No swell or wind atm so I can't get out there to try out my 880, but you have alleviated my "lack of lift" concern. In the red series I've got crazy short up to short. In the Black I picked up an Ultra and will probably get a short for winging stability. I love trying to build the ultimate quiver. Now the question is 980 or 1050 like you say. Just in time for our surf season to die lol.
Yes, you're definitely on the right track...and since you've been able to try the red crazy short you have, you already have a feel for how it can change a "long wheel based" setup, into somewhat a Ferrari...sorta speak...so once you get the 880 in the water, you'll know whether you might want/need one in black for your "ultimate quiver" possibilities. ;D

The choice between the 980 and 1050 is pretty much just your break's definition of "smaller". Where I'm at 95% of the time, the 980 works on pretty much everything below waist (maybe chest) high, but as I wrote here, the 1050 is much more "surfy" than I had expected for such a long wing.

IOWs, I wouldn't fret too much over your decision between the two, they're both super fun in small stuff...and it might be more of a choice between which one you'd like to have for your general wind conditions to go along with your 880 and your wing foil needs. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:09:09 AM by Califoilia »

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
Couldn't ask for any better words about the options I'm looking at. Thank you sir!

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 11:01:58 PM »
Good lord the 880 is better than I imagined.  Had it winging with an ultrashort and 420. What a weapon.
Surfing it tomorrow to see how it is DTL. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep  tonight lol.
980 otw

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal