Author Topic: Has anyone taken a Paddleboard on Jet Blue? It says no Paddleboards or paddle  (Read 3953 times)

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
Just checking, because it say’s no paddleboard or paddles on Jet Blue, but I know a couple years back they were allowed! Bag with board and paddle inside less than 8’6” as it's a 7’11” board! Heading to CR February if traveling there is still a go!

Thank you 🙏🏼

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Fan'er...  Always read/print the Contract of Carriage.  You may get a temp at the counter who may default to: "No ..Next." as an easy out.   Here's the first bit that will weigh on your wallet.

(4) Baggage in excess of sixty-two (62) inches but less than eighty (80) inches (sum of outside length plus outside height plus outside width) is subject to an oversize charge of One Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($150) per piece, with the exception of a standard hard-sided golf bag of up to eighty (80) inches which will not be subject to oversize fees. Baggage in excess of eighty (80) inches will not be accepted as checked baggage.

...but, there's a second bit.

C. The following items are excluded from the baggage weight and size limitations set forth above, except that items weighing one hundred (100) pounds or more, unless otherwise noted, will not be accepted as checked baggage. These items shall be acceptable for carriage upon a Passenger’s compliance with all special packing requirements and payment of applicable fees:

(1) single seat, non-motorized bicycles will be accepted as baggage if packaged in a hard-sided, padded bicycle case. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and stored so as to not create a risk of damage to other baggage;

(2) surfboards, with a single surfboard packed in each surfboard case and properly packed to prevent damage to the board and other baggage; or

(3) windsurfing and kitesurfing boards, when properly packed to prevent damage to the board, sail, boom, related equipment and to other baggage.

This also appears to affect your wallet but gets your board loaded.  Make sure you have the most recent date of the contract.  Let us know.  'Wish we were going also.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Thank you 🤙🏼

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
It looks like you should be referring to it as a 'surfboard'.

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I flew with my 8'7" Jimmy Lewis a couple of years ago and had no problem.  I have also travelled with windsurfers which were even a little longer.  Maybe they revised their rules.  For a while there JetBlue was really surfer friendly and waving board fees altogether.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I know this is not an answer you are looking and it's probably not going to work for lot of folks but it might work for some?
 To avoid situations like this I've got in inflatable board.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Inflatable doesn’t really work for surf, no matter what people say (other than Uli RIP)

Rental, however, is how I deal with this. Adapting to a new board is part of the game for me now. But I will say, I’m loving wing foiling and never having to carry anything over a 5’ board again... until I’m older. lol (they get you in the end!)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I'm thrilled not to have to sweat getting a long board onto airplanes--always a stressful experience. Will they take it? An I going to be able to get on the plane?

But yeah, the Uli was good in the surf, and most inflatables are not, but there are a few that look OK. Red isn't really into surfing, they only have one board, the 8'10" X 29" Whip, but it looks really good. I paddled one of their 14' race boards after the guy using it beat me at a race I happened across on Lake Chelan. I was on my ancient 12'2" and expected to kick everyone's ass since I didn't see any racing hard boards. I was shocked at how rigid the thing was--they slip wide carbon battens into pockets on the rail. the damned thing was fast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Ooooo. "I was shocked at how rigid the thing was--they slip wide carbon battens into pockets on the rail."  Thanks for that Bill.  I'm still playing with making a wing mount for a foil.  I have a SS plate but battens are something I can easily add to my 'Corset'. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
We ended up on United. Went out from LAX so it was free going, just regular bag free’s $40 & $50 second bag etc. flew back into NJ and was charged $130 and $140 two bags with 2 boards in each, so not to bad for riding your own boards!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Glad it worked out for you. Where’s the trip report?!

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
We ended up on United. Went out from LAX so it was free going, just regular bag free’s $40 & $50 second bag etc. flew back into NJ and was charged $130 and $140 two bags with 2 boards in each, so not to bad for riding your own boards!

United's free california surfboard rule is so enticing for anyone living in CA.   Its amazing it will cost $150 buck each way to get a board to Florida from NY  But EWR to LAX is free (or $40 with no credit card or status)

I had a pre covid trip to LA last Feb and brought my 6'4 shortboard for no other reason than it was free and surfed three great mornings at El Porto before meetings!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal