Author Topic: Footstraps  (Read 5473 times)

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Footstraps
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »
pafoil, I see what you are saying. I will try that. Yes please on the vid. One thing that the straps have changed for me is the stability (just front foot in) during lulls in the wind when my board goes deep. I have been able to sink it up to waist deep and maintain balance where I couldn't do that as well before straps. This has me thinking of your waterstart technique. Thanks!

re: waterstarts- after a gentle crash from a jump I have been finding myself sitting in water, strapped in both and wing in hands very reminiscent of a kitefoil waterstart. The Dart with mad dihedral is much more inviting than flatter wings for this. I am able to maintain this position and begin to pull/roll myself up ontop of the board still strapped. Well I haven't pulled off yet but I have gotten close enough to see that with more power in the wing, this will work a treat(aussie speak)

Hi
Here is a video of a direct start straped on a 89 litres board. 4,8 by 26.

I hope this helpshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdYwadRJ7fM

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 01:22:43 PM »
pafoil, I see what you are saying. I will try that. Yes please on the vid. One thing that the straps have changed for me is the stability (just front foot in) during lulls in the wind when my board goes deep. I have been able to sink it up to waist deep and maintain balance where I couldn't do that as well before straps. This has me thinking of your waterstart technique. Thanks!

re: waterstarts- after a gentle crash from a jump I have been finding myself sitting in water, strapped in both and wing in hands very reminiscent of a kitefoil waterstart. The Dart with mad dihedral is much more inviting than flatter wings for this. I am able to maintain this position and begin to pull/roll myself up ontop of the board still strapped. Well I haven't pulled off yet but I have gotten close enough to see that with more power in the wing, this will work a treat(aussie speak)

Hi
Here is a video of a direct start straped on a 89 litres board. 4,8 by 26.

I hope this helpshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdYwadRJ7fM

It would be great to see a non-POV version of the start since the wing fills the frame, not your fancy footwork ;) Great to hear of other ways to get going on smaller boards. Does this technique feel like it works in all winds? Is it a high or low energy start physically compared to other methods?
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 03:30:35 PM »

Back in the day, we’d have to switch straps out from stock, to Dakine, because Dakine being Hawaiian based, had straps sized for bare feet.

Dakine sounds Hawaiian, and yeah, Rob founded it in Haiku, Maui at the Cannery, but he moved it to Hood River in the early 80's.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 09:27:32 PM »
I hope this one it's better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmFokIvYIus

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 03:19:07 AM »
NSI and Armstrong have straps you can step on. For me, the NSI is softer and easier on a bare foot.
You can see the NSI straps I’m talking about here. Dimitri is using them. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdeui_LKPf/?igshid=ijgig3w3ydqn
These NSI v-straps look good , they are less then 90 degrees I hope?
I have an AXIS V-strap that is 90 degrees that doesn't work with the footstrap inserts of my wingboard.
But NSI is hard to get in Europe I suppose...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 08:54:14 AM »

Nope, they are industry standard of 90 degrees.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:06 AM »
The Takoon V strap is less than 90* ,might suit you.
Out of stock now though.

https://takoon.com/products/copy-of-straps-de-planche-de-wing

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 12:08:42 AM »
Nope, they are industry standard of 90 degrees.
I suppose the foot strap inserts my next board have to be 90 degrees, might be easier to switch stance with a 90 degree setup instead of a sharper angle?
I just hope my foot will not be too close to the windward rail (too far from the centerline)?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:11:13 AM by soepkip »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal