Author Topic: Footstraps  (Read 5472 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Footstraps
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:40:05 PM »
I just started riding strapped for jumping on the wingding and am wandering what others have found in they're strap fiddling. I started with them tight and low so just my toes would go in. I then loosened and made more of a bulge in them and think I like this better. I ride with my front foot in all the time and back foot just in front of rear strap. When I want to jump, I get in the back strap as well and then send. I don't ever switch my feet so I like the freedom of moving my back foot around when I'm going toeside. My concern is tacoing and being trapped in the straps. So far it seems like a Know When To Say When situation. I  kicked them off more often in the first few sessions but now I am tending to leave my feet strapped and powering thru landings. My board will often touch down when landing an air and go completely underwater and I have been riding through some of these. It seems right on the edge of when I should bail. I have heard that some think it is safer because you are less likely to hit your foil. Too loose and they fly off in the air. I had just the front foot come out the other day on a jump. That was scary.
What are your favorite type of straps? I have some semi-flimsy Gong straps now. I do like that I can kneel on them when I do the stinkbug start. I have heard that Armstrong straps are nice and minimalist. I have some heavy duty kiting straps from my twintip that could work. I wish my Moonbuddy had more holes to work with.
Thanks

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Footstraps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »
The straps with the most board control and least likely to trap your foot, are the stiff Dakine windsurf straps. That’s why windsurf wave riders and loopers use them. BUT, they certainly suck for foiling, as far as not being able to step on them, and being a general nuisance, and in the way, anytime you’re not locked and loaded.

NSI and Armstrong have straps you can step on. For me, the NSI is softer and easier on a bare foot.

You can see the NSI straps I’m talking about here. Dimitri is using them. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdeui_LKPf/?igshid=ijgig3w3ydqn

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 10:11:43 PM »
I made my own with a 4cm wide old roof rack strap and some dual density EVA foam(6mm thick) i got from Amazon(it comes in strips for decking motor boats etc...).  https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07SBMHNB2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_2S35QSD9TD7KAX4KBBN5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I had to remove the adhesive as it was very weak,some solvent and it comes off.
I then glued the foam to the strap with good contact glue,cut the excess foam and radiused the edges of the foam with a dremel for easy in/out.

It stays glued really well,you can lay prone or step on them easy as they have a very low profile and they pop back open every time.

I have tried Gong and Dakine but for the Wing i prefer this ones way better.

Cannot post pics directly,see them here:
https://mega.nz/folder/lDwkmRAI#3vw0O4v3DCGknwhdR5Xpyw
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:18:02 PM by Dontsink »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »
I'm generally going with no straps these days, but I tried a lot of them, and the NSI was what I liked best--by a huge margin. I could get my foot in firmly, but when I wanted to get out I could pop right out. I'm not sure how they did that. I liked the DaKine and Naish, but NSI was so much better I gave away all my other straps.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 12:18:24 AM »
My advice, go for a rigid version; you will get trapped in soft straps.
Don't mess around with knee starts, go strait into the straps.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:29:55 AM »
With the Armstrong straps i got trapped every time (i use boots) so i had to change them.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »
This is a conundrum I am still trying to work out. I primarily ride heel side, toe side with my front foot strapped all the time. I move my rear foot a lot for board control. I hate standing on a rear strap and also don't like a rear strap set too far back. I would like to start learning to jump. The answer I am presently trialing is a rear foot hook, with the open end facing forward, but would like the strapped in feel of a rear strap for confidence. I don't think there is a simple answer here apart from man up and get on with it?  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
I've tried several hooks, in fact, I have three different styles on my workbench right now. I haven't found any that really are worth having.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 09:26:01 PM »
My advice, go for a rigid version; you will get trapped in soft straps.
Don't mess around with knee starts, go strait into the straps.

Pafoil-What do you mean "don't mess around with knee starts"?  I don't see any other choice to get up on my 80L. I have gotten close to a waterstart in high winds but that will be rare in my spot. I suppose a true sinker(40L) would allow me to get in straps without kneeling.

DW- thanks, those NSI straps look good. I haven't thought about Dimitri since 2005. That board you made him looks dope!

Pono- I tried Slingshot hooks on my kitefoil and broke them on the first outing. The only thing worse that getting trapped in straps is being trapped in just one because the foot in the hook just blew out 10' up.

Supunk- I agree with "Man up and get on with it" - Now that I have repeated the sequence of getting up, then putting my back foot in, then sending it has become easier each time.

Dontsink- That sounds like a good project. I do appreciate the idea of being in control of my destiny by creating my own straps. Thanks

Wingedsurfer- I am in boots a lot and I almost wander if there should be a different strap for booty riding and barefoot riding.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 11:37:19 PM »
"Pafoil-What do you mean "don't mess around with knee starts"?  I don't see any other choice to get up on my 80L. I have gotten close to a waterstart in high winds but that will be rare in my spot. I suppose a true sinker(40L) would allow me to get in straps without kneeling. "

I use the same technique for sinkers for my 89 L,  just lay on the deck, insert your back foot sinking the board a bit and then pull up and insert your front foot. The secret is stay very low , with your ass almost touching the board. Use the wing leading edge for support. I will try to get a video today.
Regards

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 11:37:34 PM »
Daswusup, I now your pain. I am riding in boots all the time, which makes the strap issue more technical. The man up comment was not aimed at you bro. It was aimed at myself  ;D

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 01:29:19 AM »
"Pafoil-What do you mean "don't mess around with knee starts"?  I don't see any other choice to get up on my 80L. I have gotten close to a waterstart in high winds but that will be rare in my spot. I suppose a true sinker(40L) would allow me to get in straps without kneeling. "

I use the same technique for sinkers for my 89 L,  just lay on the deck, insert your back foot sinking the board a bit and then pull up and insert your front foot. The secret is stay very low , with your ass almost touching the board. Use the wing leading edge for support. I will try to get a video today.
Regards

Ok,but that is not a "waterstart" as in windsurf...
It is more like a surf popup no?

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 06:56:55 AM »
pafoil, I see what you are saying. I will try that. Yes please on the vid. One thing that the straps have changed for me is the stability (just front foot in) during lulls in the wind when my board goes deep. I have been able to sink it up to waist deep and maintain balance where I couldn't do that as well before straps. This has me thinking of your waterstart technique. Thanks!

re: waterstarts- after a gentle crash from a jump I have been finding myself sitting in water, strapped in both and wing in hands very reminiscent of a kitefoil waterstart. The Dart with mad dihedral is much more inviting than flatter wings for this. I am able to maintain this position and begin to pull/roll myself up ontop of the board still strapped. Well I haven't pulled off yet but I have gotten close enough to see that with more power in the wing, this will work a treat(aussie speak)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »
...... I almost wander if there should be a different strap for booty riding and barefoot riding.

There is. Many windsurf brands supply extra big straps on their boards, because most of their customer base is in cold climate countries.

Back in the day, we’d have to switch straps out from stock, to Dakine, because Dakine being Hawaiian based, had straps sized for bare feet.

Wander around some windsurf shops. MFC straps are big.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »
If the booties have some rubber above the sole (and most of them do) they can grip like crazy on the strap lining.
I am using Solite booties now and the thermoformable material does not grab on the footstrap nearly as much as rubber.They are not as warm as standard neoprene booties though.

Neoprene lined straps are a lot grabbier than ultralight windsurf or specific wingfoil straps with the bare EVA foam as liner in my experience.

I set them different than i used to when i windsurfed, with wider distance between the screws and flatter strap (less arch).This also gives you some fore-aft foot movement and allows for twisting out in a fall...sometimes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal