Author Topic: Southside Wingding  (Read 1477 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Southside Wingding
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:23:50 AM »
Today was a nice day to have a harness. I did a couple of super long reaches out to Maalaea harbor and back. Ken Winner went past me like I was dragging a sea anchor, but I was a happy boy. Then 2/3rds of the way to the harbor, almost to the power station, the wind started quitting. I blew the jibe, crashed, but then got a little gust to get up and did the loooooong way back milking every bit of wind and pumping like a lunatic.

Stephen Ross was complaining about the pull on his arms but I just cruised as soon as I could get into the hook. All the pumping did me in though, my knee is killing me tonight. Of course, as soon as I packed up the wind came back up, but I was done.

Ken Winner was hauling. He stopped as we were packing up and came across the street to say hi to Stephen and me. He told us his speed, but I'm not sure I heard him right. 2:38 for a mile is what I thought he said, but that sounds crazy. That would be 25 MPH. I was on a stupid setup--Axis 1150 wing and a 76CM mast. I was constantly luffing to keep the thing from leaping out of the water. A longer mast and/or a smaller wing would have been fun, though I was glad to have the 1150 when I had to pump back.

I thought Stephen was really ripping too since he kept appearing in places I didn't think he could get to so fast. It turns out that Dan Taylor was also out with a yellow Duotone. I'm easily confused.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:28:01 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Southside Wingding
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:34:06 AM »
Pono- Did Ken Winner mention what foil he is riding or did you happen to see? I saw on a Duotone Slick video that it appears he is riding a Mike's Lab. Some of the latest foils are amazingly fast. I've been riding a Delta foil HA 1450 lately that is just smoking quick. Like windsurfer speeds. And it turns great. Much different that the Axis 1300/1150 that I have been riding mostly. The Axis gliders are sure fun for what they do though.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Southside Wingding
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:19:56 AM »
I think he said Mike's. With the traffic noise and wind plus a little deafness I couldn't say for sure. He did say it was the fastest wing he's been on.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal