Author Topic: Boom to non boom wing comparison  (Read 20702 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boom to non boom wing comparison
« on: April 09, 2021, 01:33:01 PM »
I own the original Duotone 4m and 5m with booms and one Unit 6m no boom, so it’s hard for me to compare.  The Unit has a lot of power and wondering how much more power an inflatable strut adds versus same sized wing with the boom set up?

I ask because I am thinking of buying a 5m Duotone Unit for travel and wondering how the power would compare to my Duotone 5m with boom?  Hopefully it will be more powerful with that inflatable strut catching a lot more wind.  I don’t want to travel with 2 wings if I can help it

Thanks

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Boom to non boom wing comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 03:54:57 PM »
Strut or boom has nothing to do with power. The power changes come from design generations. The newer the design, the more power. So Slick basically makes Unit and Echo obsolete. Although marketing would like you to believe something else so they can unload what’s in inventory.

When the market is mature, the power increases will plateau

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:56:53 PM by Dwight (DW) »

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:59:15 PM »
The Unit is an incredibly powerful wing. Newer generation wings hopefully have more power, better low and top end but you know from windsurfing and kiting that newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Plenty of next generation sails and kites have turned out to be dogs compared to the previous generation. R&D gone bad. Still waiting for a review comparing the Slick to the Echo and Unit. Hopefully the draft is moved a touch aft IMO. The unboxing videos of the Slick are a good look at this exciting wing though. Dwight- Hundred bucks says you will have a quiver of Slicks as soon as they come out and you will drop those heavy Ensis wings like a hot potato. Your poor wife's arms!! She must be pissed....jk. Everyone get ready for half price Ensis wings on The Zone.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »
The Unit is an incredibly powerful wing. Newer generation wings hopefully have more power, better low and top end but you know from windsurfing and kiting that newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Plenty of next generation sails and kites have turned out to be dogs compared to the previous generation. R&D gone bad. Still waiting for a review comparing the Slick to the Echo and Unit. Hopefully the draft is moved a touch aft IMO. The unboxing videos of the Slick are a good look at this exciting wing though. Dwight- Hundred bucks says you will have a quiver of Slicks as soon as they come out and you will drop those heavy Ensis wings like a hot potato. Your poor wife's arms!! She must be pissed....jk. Everyone get ready for half price Ensis wings on The Zone.

Nope. The next generation Ensis wings ship to me May 15th. A full quiver.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 08:34:20 PM »
Strut or boom has nothing to do with power. The power changes come from design generations. The newer the design, the more power. So Slick basically makes Unit and Echo obsolete. Although marketing would like you to believe something else so they can unload what’s in inventory.

When the market is mature, the power increases will plateau

But Dwight it feels to me like the strut catches wind that the boom would allow to escape? Maybe it’s my imagination, but the Unit just feels to have more power. I know at 6m it’s larger than Duotone 4 and 5m, but something about the design/construction has me  thinking a Unit 5m with the strut is more powerful than the Duotone 5m with boom.  I hope I am right
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »
Everyone get ready for half price Ensis wings on The Zone.

So do we pm him now or do we just furiously refresh? Or does he throw one in the box when he ships you a board like a Willy wonka golden ticket?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 04:34:39 AM »

But Dwight it feels to me like the strut catches wind that the boom would allow to escape? Maybe it’s my imagination, but the Unit just feels to have more power. I know at 6m it’s larger than Duotone 4 and 5m, but something about the design/construction has me  thinking a Unit 5m with the strut is more powerful than the Duotone 5m with boom.  I hope I am right

In the order Ken designed them

1) Duotone wing foil
2) Duotone Echo
3) Duotone Unit
4) Duotone Slick

Also in the same order of power. 1) being least.

1) Naish wing surfer
2) Naish s25
3) Naish s26

Also in the same order of power. 1) being least.

It’s 1999 all over again in the kiting world. The first few years...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:36:51 AM by Dwight (DW) »

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 06:46:47 AM »
Awesome thread.
I have several sLing wings and on the V2s there is a handle slot missing in the middle. It makes me have to do a huge quick reach in order to get to the back handle (as I am standing up quickly)... I argue with Dawsup on this topic. So much so that he built a middle handle to fill the gap.

Anyway.. those of you who are are learning and or experienced know that there is a quick series of steps that need to happen in order and accurately, in order to get up on a smaller board. (foil or no foil)

I have always wanted a boom and will most likely try one next. I can see doing little one handed slidies across the boom to get the wing in the right position

I am mainly thinking the boom works better with one hand. (yes one hand)

Without ever trying one I am guessing that the freedom to put your hands anywhere on the bar is great. 

-red

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:07:57 AM »

Without ever trying one I am guessing that the freedom to put your hands anywhere on the bar is great. 

-red

You nailed it. It sets you free.

That’s why, even with handles, I’m only interested in wings with long handles. No more small loop handles that make you do the finger walk from handle to handle.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »

-red

You nailed it. It sets you free.

That’s why, even with handles, I’m only interested in wings with long handles. No more small loop handles that make you do the finger walk from handle to handle.
Agree Ensis is at the moment leading the charge with there long strut length handle it is the best handle for all weights and sizes and styles everyone can find there sweet spot! Just hope on the new Ensis gen the 6m gets a little revise as all my Ensis 5.2 4.5 3.5 are all just excellent wings especially when flagged out waveriding.the 6m was odd wing out it needs a little work on pulling wingtips in less span to minimize wingtip drags next time around
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 01:19:38 PM »
The handles on the Takuma look very similar to those on the Ensis.

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/takuma-wing-ride-iii/

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 11:48:38 PM »
I have the echo's for jumping, and the slingshot v2 for surfing.
I wish I can always use a boom, as there is a huge difference in control and handling.
I tried the slingwing with a carbon miniboom, (Armstrong stile), and the weight was noticible  when surfing.
I'm tempted with the new duotone slick, but I will wait until I can test it; or to see what the tarifa duotone guys do.
Some of these duotone riders went back to the echo after testing the "unit" for a few weeks, so that was a big NO for the unit.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 07:33:07 AM »
Cut down kitebar miniboom. Haven't tried it yet because all I want to ride are my Darts.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 05:25:42 AM »

I have always wanted a boom and will most likely try one next. I can see doing little one handed slidies across the boom to get the wing in the right position

I am mainly thinking the boom works better with one hand. (yes one hand)

-red

Team see Alan do One handed "slidies" on the Duo, exactly where I thought I would use it.. its the in water get up where you need a one arm pull up from the center/center front of the boom.

see second 8-12 from one of the bests guy out there IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGubw9qsHQ&feature=youtu.be

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
Cabrinha Mantis (and others) great long stiff handles. Great compromise. Light wing (to me) and relatively well priced.

As usual DW is sensible about the progression. I’m betting that while there are better/worse. The gen 3+ wings are all pretty dang good going forward. I’m looking for a gen 2 used wing but might actually just hold off til supply chain fills in since so much of my local wind range is covered by a 5 right now. I’ll live, especially as the summer comes in.

The future is bright.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal