Author Topic: Do foils have better or lesser upwind ability?  (Read 3185 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do foils have better or lesser upwind ability?
« on: April 04, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
Just got back from a session on a recently iced out lake, 15-20+ mph wind, 5M V1 wasp. New foil being tested.  Never have I made so much ground to windward.  I can’t say my upwind technique had changed.  After a slow winter season, I would have expected it to get worse.  I’ve used V1 WASPs before, but not the 5M.  In only 7-9 tacks/jibes I was able to gain 3/4 mile upwind.  Unheard of for me.

My question being,  can foil design make that much difference in upwind ability? 
I’m stumped.  Could have just been some really good wind?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Do foils have better or lesser upwind ability?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 04:32:24 PM »
yeah, front wing makes a massive difference. Like 25 degrees higher into the wind than older foils.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:55:15 PM »
I was trying out the Axis 1300 today with a 5.0 F-one Strike. It's one crazy wing--1300 CM wide and 1700 sq. cm of area. It points so close to the wind that I couldn't wrap my head around it. It feels and looks like I'm going straight upwind. Very weird. The strike points closer than the swings to start with, and then there's this mega high aspect wing.

I blew every jibe even though I had all the time in the world to turn--glides forever. But I was ending the jibe too soon--I had to rotate so far that I thought I was overdoing it. I should just tack it, it's got to be easy to tack. Just about every point of sail except mega-close hauled felt like I was going downwind.

WINGSPAN: 1300 mm / 51 inches
MAX CHORD: 180mm, 7inches
ASPECT RATIO: 9.94
ACTUAL AREA 1712 square cm / 265 square inches
PROJECTED AREA: 1700 square cm / 263 square inches
VOLUME: 1895 cubic cm / 116 cubic inches
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:17:11 AM »
yeah, front wing makes a massive difference. Like 25 degrees higher into the wind than older foils.

25* higher?...compared to which older foil?.

I once measured one of JB's upwind tracks.
He was making 60* degrees off the wind (if wind North, groundtrack was 60*).
Cannot remember the average speed (10-12kt?) but i got a ballpark figure of 5kt VMG.
Naish HA foil wing.

A comp kiter driving a 15m race hydrofoil kite can do about 43* from upwind in 13kt,and speeds are way higher.

I have found that the board has a big effect on the Upwind capability.
Smaller boards,pointier/narrower noses and a forward mast setup  reduce windage and nose down effect when you lean the board into the wind.This takes away a lot of load from the foil.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 03:40:24 AM »
Original “surf” foils, IWA and others like it, never went upwind better than a regular windsurfer on a slalom board.

The very best HA foils, with the very best wind wings, on a tall mast, match good kite foilers into the wind. But not pro kite racers, yet. It’s pretty shocking the advancements in upwind angle.

Nothing measured.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 05:00:27 AM »
Thanks all!  It just never crossed my mind until now.  All my previous foils were just about the same in upwind performance.  This foil just made me take notice.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal