Author Topic: Kujira foils -- how good are they?  (Read 4188 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Kujira foils -- how good are they?
« on: April 02, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:50:18 PM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kujira foils -- how good are they?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
I'm learning to foil on the Helium 1500. I like it, very stable, much slower than the original foil I tried though. Gets up on foil almost immediately and just cruises at a low speed. Great glide.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »
They're REALLY good at punching holes in your feet, legs, and wing. General consensus on my beach is that the front foils are awesome and the rest of their kit is crap. Theres a big thread over on Seabreeze about it and guys are using adapters to run their foils on whatever other mast/fuze setup they have.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »
They're REALLY good at punching holes in your feet, legs, and wing. General consensus on my beach is that the front foils are awesome and the rest of their kit is crap. Theres a big thread over on Seabreeze about it and guys are using adapters to run their foils on whatever other mast/fuze setup they have.

I think it depends what you're using the foil for -- jumping, surfing big waves and so on may be problematic, especially if you're over 90 kilos.  I'm not jumping (I'm living my future now, there is no tomorrow for me) and just mowing the lawn in different wind conditions.  For my purposes these foils have been great and I've had no issues with any part of the kit.  The whole foil package (85 cm. aluminium mast, fuselage and wings) is quite light.  So, if you're into riding small swell, riding fast and working on transitions you shouldn't have any issues -- these foils (I have the 980, 1210 and 1440) are stable, maneuverable, have good lift and are quite fast -- lots of fun!  I did sand down and round off the winglets a little and so far I have had no problems (touch wood). 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 04:09:29 PM »
how good are they?  Extremely good.   I've ridden 980 and 1210 prone, SUP and winging.  There is something magical about the kujira that makes it extremely stable in pitch yet super maneuverable side to side.   For such a great turning wing, they have amazing low end and are great for pumping.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 05:18:54 AM »
I was given the opportunity to try a 1440 not too long ago.  I was quite impressed with its performance.  It effectively pumped  up onto  foil and the ride was fast and predictable.  I was impressed enough to make my own version of this foil and am still impressed with its its design.  Not really sure if the tubercles really do anything but , at least on my foil, but I can repeatedly breach the wing tip without noticing any wobble or loss of lift like other foils I've used.

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 05:33:31 AM »
They are extremely good, but the setups can be fickle, breaking screws cab be an issue in a wobbly foil fuse connections.  Yes are sharp and it ridiculously dangerous, and there is no gain from the sharpness- back of the mast and training edge of foils crazy sharp- and the tips are you kidding, crazy sharp. I’ve shopped mine completely and it’s so good.
If you can handle the negatives the positives are awesome maybe the best all rounder out there pumps turns, glides, easy to use..

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:48:42 PM »
I have a friend selling a 1210 cm setup used once for $1000 if anyone is interested...

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
The full setup? Aluminum I assume? If it's carbon I'd take it. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal