Author Topic: Combining SUPfoil and Surfoil  (Read 2460 times)

endlesswave

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Combining SUPfoil and Surfoil
« on: March 28, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »
Hello everyone.  I have surfed for over 15 years, started to Wing foiling and I want to give a try to SUPfoil or Surf foil.

My main interest is to take unbroken waves, so SUPfoil would be the right one. BUT since I haven't done SUP, I would want to prone to take the wave like surfing instead of paddling with a row (because I understand that It needs technique).  I also think, that with the same SUP board, I would go faster prone paddling than paddling with the row (but I don't know if it's true)
-If I go with a Big volume surfoil board (something like 50 liters), could I ride these unbroken waves like a SUP?
- If not, can I take a SUP board and prone It? Maybe something narrower than conventional, not too large
-Is there anybody that rows with the row to go the lineup, then prone to take the wave and then use the row while foiling? (I know this seems a little crazy)
Thanks in advance!!

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Combining SUPfoil and Surfoil
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:49:35 PM »
I'm assuming by "row" you mean a "SUP Paddle" or an "Oar".

We would need to see a video of these "unbroken" waves to see if you can prone paddle into them.

Here is a clip of a very good prone foiler paddling into a wave that just barely breaks. He still needed the push from the white water to get into it. Had he been inside of there and there was no white water push he would not have been able to catch that wave.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM71nQYoFOs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 01:23:59 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »
While it's certainly possible to ride unbroken waves--the downwind folks do it for miles--they are a bitch to get up on, paddle or no paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 05:41:52 PM »
I'm catching un-breaking waves all the time on SUPfoil.  But it really depends on the speed of the wave.  That can vary so much from location to location and day to day.    At some breaks, there is literally nobody who could catch them early, not even the surf-ski guys.  But at other breaks where the waves bend around local topology and slow down, or for really short period swell that's moving slow - no problem.  Also depends if the water is sucking out over a reef making it tough to build up speed, or if there is an onshore flow giving you a boost.  Short period waves with heavy onshore wind can be great.  As far as I want to paddle out into the ocean I can catch one coming in.

I am addicted to the idea of getting waves outside the pack or further out on the shoulder because where I ride is typically very crowded.  For now SUPfoil is the way.  But I just bought a high volume prone board to experiment with to see if it can compete.

I think there are two reasons SUPfoil can get in so early - 1) lots of paddle power and decent glide from the high volume. 2) already standing means you can be pumping the moment the foil has enough flow to engage.  With prone, you have to stop paddling to standup, so you need to have already caught the wave before you can pump the foil up out of the water.  Plenty of times I've caught waves on the SUP after they go under me and pumped up to get back in front of them.  I don't see how that would be possible on a prone.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 06:55:45 PM »
My somewhat stupid TowBot is mostly to help this geezer catch unbroken waves, and when I lose one, catch another. The Columbia Gorge is probably one of the easiest places on the planet to catch swells, and I can't do it here without a wing. Lots of guys can do it with a paddle, Dave Kalama can do it with chunks of Clorox bottles zip tied to his hands, but I need a tow. Here the wind blows against the current, so the faces are steep, the swells are slow, and if you screw up, the current takes you back where you were for another try.

I tried in Maui. Pointless. But if you want to see how it's supposed to get done, here you go. Pop to full screen, turn up the volume, lean back, and bliss out.

https://youtu.be/fpuE8hKdHJA
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal