Author Topic: Migration ...think it's bad  (Read 1947 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Migration ...think it's bad
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »
...now?!  I have heard of recent surveys where 1/2 the under-30's in the Levant and other parts of the Mideast are ready to pack. It seems like even more in North and Central Africa are looking for an escape.  Here's a predictor about the US southern border...

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/chairman/341678/million-migrate.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

I listen to all the political handwringing on both sides...  The Left dodges the question of 'The number?'  ..how many is too little or too many?  The Right games it by flapping on the ground about an 'invasion' ...all the while happily hiring the 11mil. illegals here w/o providing benefits accrued by locally born labor.  In case you were distracted by the border w/MEX drama... for 2019, DHS reported ~675,000 folks from everywhere flew in and 'overstayed' their visa.   

This is like budget deficits—your kids will deal with it, while you book your next three Carnival Cruises. (I know, not likely too many here.)

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Migration ...think it's bad
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »
Yeah but... the big migration will be from climate change, but the major versions are a ways off. In the short term I think some migration will be good. We're either going to huddle in northern reaches and wait for the asteroid to wallop us, or build a hell of a lot of infrastructure to spread out in the solar system. Yeah, OK that end goal is long, long term, but the intermediate stuff is a lot of wind farms, solar, hydrogen plants, battery stuff, smart grids, desalination, reversing desertification, blah blah. That's bodies, not robots, and if you don't have enough bodies you lose. China and India start off an the right side of the equation. We have land and resources, but a puny population of 332 million and without migration by 2050 it will be 360 million. We'll be paying people to come here.

With migration, it's probably 450 million. And we'd probably still be screwed.

If you want to understand why republican politicians want to suppress every vote they can, then understand this--without migration, the white dumbass majority becomes the minority in the next presidential election. Without vote suppression and with migration even the gerrymandered protected districts get wobbly before those folks step off into their cushy retirement. I say all this as a conservative, and a Republican (sort of)--those guys are fucked unless they managed to swing the government into something authoritarian. They can all do the basic math, or at least, in the case of the truly moronic, listen to the ruthless smart motherfuckers among them who can.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:09:57 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal