Author Topic: Torn between Hala and Red Paddle  (Read 5532 times)

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Torn between Hala and Red Paddle
« on: March 27, 2021, 11:37:24 AM »
Lately I've been thinking about getting a second board and using my Hala Carbon Hoss as a loaner now for when wanting to paddle with someone that doesn't have one. My current Hala is a tank but it's been a great board for what I've used it for which is to learn and have fun on. Now I'm ready for speed and touring.

I've been eyeballing 2 boards.
First one is the Carbon Hala Nass-T 14'
Second one is the Red Paddle Voyager 13'2"

I'm leaning towards the Hala because of the construction, length, looks, and it's more narrow so I think for speed, it's a no brainer.

Anybody own either of these for feedback?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Torn between Hala and Red Paddle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »
Hi Windwarrior. I've got the Red Paddle Explorer, which is the exact same board as the Red Voyager, just an earlier version before they renamed it.

I have no experience with the Hala Nass, but I do quite like my Red Explorer. But I really only use it for touring and if I'm going to be teaching. You said you're ready for speed and touring. If it's speed you're looking for, then I wouldn't be getting an inflatable. But if an inflatable is your only option, I'd also take a look at the Starboard All Star inflatable.

So for me, for the purpose I'm using it for, I really like my Red Explorer (Voyager). But again, I don't use it for speed. I've got hard boards to fill that requirement.

If you have any other questions on the Red I'd be happy to help you if I can. Good luck with your decision.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 11:58:08 AM »
Hi Windwarrior. I've got the Red Paddle Explorer, which is the exact same board as the Red Voyager, just an earlier version before they renamed it.

I have no experience with the Hala Nass, but I do quite like my Red Explorer. But I really only use it for touring and if I'm going to be teaching. You said you're ready for speed and touring. If it's speed you're looking for, then I wouldn't be getting an inflatable. But if an inflatable is your only option, I'd also take a look at the Starboard All Star inflatable.

So for me, for the purpose I'm using it for, I really like my Red Explorer (Voyager). But again, I don't use it for speed. I've got hard boards to fill that requirement.

If you have any other questions on the Red I'd be happy to help you if I can. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the info 👍
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Supgirl67

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »
Hi,
I've had several Red Paddle boards and currently use the 11' Sport. I've loved the 10'6" and the 12'6" as well. Red Paddle customer service is amazing! I've had a few small issues (the attached fins on one of my 10'6" boards started coming off the board) and they replaced the entire board, which was several years old, without me asking them to replace it. I have their deck bag and the zipper failed after one season; they immediately replaced it.  I recommend Red Paddle to anyone who needs an inflatable.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:24:12 PM »
I paddled a Hala 14x26 last summer back to back with my Red Elite 14x26. I was surprised it was even less stable than the famously wobbly Red. I also had my 14x26 Starboard Airline and my friend's 14x30 Starboard Touring Dual Chamber to try try that afternoon AND a Hala 14 ... by 30? 32? I forget.  It was much MUCH more stable but plowed water.  The Airline is stable enough and I really like the standing pad area.  The Touring is soooo close in glide...I almost wished I had bought one instead. It's very nice for stability. Going from your VERY stable board you might like growing into the Airline (there is a 26" if you REALLY want) but you might just love the Touring. 

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »
Everything but the Touring model here. I also paddled a Tower Xplorer (used to own it lol)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 05:44:56 AM »
Warrior...  If it's for a loaner - there's a RED on eBay for cheap.  I grabbed one simply because it seemed the price of the pump ate up most of the $99. price...  Item # 393313434531

Note of caution: the seller has no profile.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 05:51:53 AM »
Hi,
I've had several Red Paddle boards and currently use the 11' Sport. I've loved the 10'6" and the 12'6" as well. Red Paddle customer service is amazing! I've had a few small issues (the attached fins on one of my 10'6" boards started coming off the board) and they replaced the entire board, which was several years old, without me asking them to replace it. I have their deck bag and the zipper failed after one season; they immediately replaced it.  I recommend Red Paddle to anyone who needs an inflatable.
Yeah, I know Red Paddle AND Hala both have great customer service which is why I'm torn between the two.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 05:53:10 AM »
Warrior...  If it's for a loaner - there's a RED on eBay for cheap.  I grabbed one simply because it seemed the price of the pump ate up most of the $99. price...  Item # 393313434531

Note of caution: the seller has no profile.

Jim

Sounds like an EXCELLENT way to lose 99 bucks!🤣🤣🤣
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 05:54:48 AM »
I paddled a Hala 14x26 last summer back to back with my Red Elite 14x26. I was surprised it was even less stable than the famously wobbly Red. I also had my 14x26 Starboard Airline and my friend's 14x30 Starboard Touring Dual Chamber to try try that afternoon AND a Hala 14 ... by 30? 32? I forget.  It was much MUCH more stable but plowed water.  The Airline is stable enough and I really like the standing pad area.  The Touring is soooo close in glide...I almost wished I had bought one instead. It's very nice for stability. Going from your VERY stable board you might like growing into the Airline (there is a 26" if you REALLY want) but you might just love the Touring.

I'll look into it and see if a local company rents them or not. Thanks for the info 🤙
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 10:35:29 AM »
Hi Windwarrior,

From DMs comment, Hala doesn't have a 14 x 30" or a 14 x 32" board in their line up. Hala has the 14' x 28" Carbon Nass T, and the 12'6" x 30" Carbon Hala Nass.

I remember you choosing boards on the forums awhile back. I also have the Carbon Hala Hoss. If you are considering the 13'2" Red, the 12'6" Hala Nass would also be a board to consider and it will track straighter and be significantly quicker than the Hoss that is a foot shorter and 4 inches wider.  The 28" wide Nass T, will give you an uptick in speed over the 12'6" Hoss.

I like the touring range from Red, and have checked out their offerings in the 12'6" and 13 foot range, but if both brands are in stock and available, Hala gets my money. Hala durability is rated as exceptional for inflatables, but they don't have a big market presence because of advertising and availability overall.

For the river market, Hala has shown the most progression out of all brands imo, and both Red and Hala have good options for touring and performance, but I think Starboard has far outpaced the rest of the brands with innovation and practical applications. Dual chamber technology availability increases rigidity and safety, as well as a host of options that other brands don't have.

A hard board was mentioned if you truly want more performance. If you have the space, it's worth getting one. 

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 06:47:01 PM »
Hi Windwarrior,

From DMs comment, Hala doesn't have a 14 x 30" or a 14 x 32" board in their line up. Hala has the 14' x 28" Carbon Nass T, and the 12'6" x 30" Carbon Hala Nass.

I remember you choosing boards on the forums awhile back. I also have the Carbon Hala Hoss. If you are considering the 13'2" Red, the 12'6" Hala Nass would also be a board to consider and it will track straighter and be significantly quicker than the Hoss that is a foot shorter and 4 inches wider.  The 28" wide Nass T, will give you an uptick in speed over the 12'6" Hoss.

I like the touring range from Red, and have checked out their offerings in the 12'6" and 13 foot range, but if both brands are in stock and available, Hala gets my money. Hala durability is rated as exceptional for inflatables, but they don't have a big market presence because of advertising and availability overall.

For the river market, Hala has shown the most progression out of all brands imo, and both Red and Hala have good options for touring and performance, but I think Starboard has far outpaced the rest of the brands with innovation and practical applications. Dual chamber technology availability increases rigidity and safety, as well as a host of options that other brands don't have.

A hard board was mentioned if you truly want more performance. If you have the space, it's worth getting one.

Yep! That was me about 3 or 4 years ago when I was looking for my first board.

Correct on the Hala Nass-T,  that's why I made mention in my first post in this string👍.

Not much of a river person. Just like all the lakes and camping options around these parts.

Interesting stuff regarding the 12'6 Nass🤔. Hasn't even considered that one because of length being so short.

Inflatable is what I'm sticking to. Much easier to transport AND store. If I wasn't landlocked, I might consider a hard board but at this point, not interested.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 11:19:01 AM »
Right on. Yep, the Hoss is a dog on flatwater and the extra foot on the 12’6” will give you better tracking and 34” is just really wide period, and that makes a huge difference for speed and tracking with a board that is well under 12 feet long.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
Right on. Yep, the Hoss is a dog on flatwater and the extra foot on the 12’6” will give you better tracking and 34” is just really wide period, and that makes a huge difference for speed and tracking with a board that is well under 12 feet long.
Now it just boils down to which one🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Nass-T 14' OR the Nass 12'6". Either one will be longer and narrower than my Hoss.

I did find one demo for under 1k🤔
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM