Author Topic: NOB life vest  (Read 3769 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
NOB life vest
« on: March 25, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any NOB dealers in the U.S? 
I am interested in this brand as this is what Garrett McNamara has been using.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLbGqfp5qdU
I wear an Oneil Gooru under my suit.  This would be for over my suit.  I have been using a kite vest over my suit, but it is not ideal.
Tow-In:
https://www.nobmultisports.com/loja/coletes/colete-adulto/colete-nob-tow-in/
Big-Surf:
https://www.nobmultisports.com/loja/coletes/colete-adulto/novo-colete-nob-big-surf/
thanks
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NOB life vest
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 03:52:45 PM »
Are you combining the Gooru with this OVER THE SUIT?

The Gooru is great under the wetsuit.  Streamlined, doesn't catch on anything and will never ride up and keeps you warm. 

When it gets really big aka at Mavericks when the faces will be 20 - 35+ feet I double up on the life jackets. 

This is the rig.  Gooru under the wetsuit and a $60 Waterski life jacket on top.  I have since added a strap because ALL THESE JACKETS WILL RIDE UP IN A TERRIBLE Beating.

It is nice knowing you will come up.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:45 AM »
What is the trick to putting a wetsuit on over a Gooru?  The suits I have now will barely fit over a 3mm neoprene vest.

BTY, wearing a 3mm vest under your wetsuit will solve any cold water flushing problems you might have.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:05:13 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, badger. My crawl in through the neck wetsuit is a big challenge as it is. Maybe something a little baggy with a back zipper.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 02:36:41 PM »
For the reasons above:

1) I (almost) always wear float - O'Neal Gooru - when it is 6ft+
2) I always layer my wetsuit with a 1.5mm rashguard and 1.5mm undershorts. 

I buy XL Short, or XXL wetsuit so it will fit a bit loose and I can pack all the stuff underneath. 

A 2/3 will usually suffice in even the coldest weather with all the layering.  This way you can buy more, and cheaper, Hyperflex suits for example and then rotate them when they start to get leaky.  A typical suit on Amazon when discounted can be $100 to $150. 

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
Thanks for the responses.
Are you combining the Gooru with this OVER THE SUIT?
@Beasho: Yes like you, Gooru under the suit, and additional floatation over.
I've modeled my setup after yours:
https://vimeo.com/user413605
I also broke my ribs SUP surfing (before watching your video), and used the Schutt while I was recovering.  I really like the Gooru.  I broke my sacrum skateboarding last year, so I have been wearing protective padded shorts.  I see no negative effect in mobility with the Gooru and shorts, and I like the additional float and warmth in winter swell.  In the summer, it can get too hot, so I switch to a compression padded football shirt (with the shoulder pads removed)

What is the trick to putting a wetsuit on over a Gooru?  The suits I have now will barely fit over a 3mm neoprene vest.
BTY, wearing a 3mm vest under your wetsuit will solve any cold water flushing problems you might have.

@Badger: Last season, I bought a new 3/2 Oneil backzip suit and tried to squeeze in, but the seams quickly failed from the stress.  Now I will follow Beasho's recommendation and buy a suit one or two sizes bigger.  I do find backzip suits easier to put on.
I am 5' 8" ~ 175 and since I always wear the vest I now buy XLS suites.  These are Extra Large Short, in other words one or two sizes up.

For the reasons above:

1) I (almost) always wear float - O'Neal Gooru - when it is 6ft+
2) I always layer my wetsuit with a 1.5mm rashguard and 1.5mm undershorts. 

I buy XL Short, or XXL wetsuit so it will fit a bit loose and I can pack all the stuff underneath. 

A 2/3 will usually suffice in even the coldest weather with all the layering.  This way you can buy more, and cheaper, Hyperflex suits for example and then rotate them when they start to get leaky.  A typical suit on Amazon when discounted can be $100 to $150. 

Interesting to hear that you are wearing 1.5mm rashguard and 1.5mm undershorts.  I have been doing the same, but with a SS chestzip wetsuit (also worn in the summer), then layer over, and seal it all in with a 3/2 backzip fullsuit.  The pfd would be worn over all of this.  I tried a sterns pfd, but felt some chaffing in the underarms.  It looked like the NOB may give a little more room in that area, for less chaffing.
I recently poked a hole (tree branch) in my hyperflex suit.  I used a product called tear-aid on it (inside of suit).  Then I used a clothes iron on a low setting (and a piece of paper as a barrier) and melted/fused the tear-aid.  In the past I used aquaseal, but the tear-aid seems to have more stretch to it.
https://www.tear-aid.com/
For seam rips, wetsuit cement usually does the trick.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:44:08 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 02:22:24 PM »
In my experience, a good pfd (for high velocity impacts) will:
1) have a mechanical stop on the zipper (i.e. velcro)
2) be made of neoprene (nylon rips)
3) has buckles for compression
4) comfortable (otherwise you won't wear it).

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 07:27:24 AM »
Thank you Beasho.  After reading reviews of pfds, Body Glove gets top marks in terms of comfort.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal