Author Topic: Glue for pump?  (Read 2438 times)

Tom iSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Glue for pump?
« on: April 04, 2021, 12:59:19 AM »
The sleeve fit for the air hose for my pump blew apart. It was obviously glued on original manufacture. What kind of glue is best to fix this? Thanks in advance for the help! I tried to attach a pic but it didn't seem to work.

I was at about 10 psi. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to quick slap my hand over the blasting air coming out of the end of the hose. I disconnect the hose from the board and estimate I was down to around 8 psi. Even at 8 psi it was way way stiffer than my Sevylor inflatable kayak, and I still had a fun first experience on the water. BTW, yes, I could ask for a new pump under warranty, but I think it is faster and easier to just glue it.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Glue for pump?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 02:37:41 AM »
I used gorilla glue to fix mine.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:52:29 AM »
Gorilla Glue will works fine, so does a hose clamp. A zip tie pulled really tight is especially good--but I have a tool for tensioning them that will squash the plastic a bit, you might struggle to get a useful tension without mechanical aid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom iSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:03:10 PM »
Thank you Dwight and PonoBill, I'm all fixed up!

I sanded the surfaces along the circumference, put on some Gorilla Glue, plus held it with a hose clamp. Once it was dry I wrapped the clamp with some duct tape, so it wouldn't damage my board in the backpack.

I realized a mistake I had made was to twist the hose on and off using by the knurled knob part and the sleeved cylinder part. That likely twisted it apart. I'll only twist on the knurled knob part now.

When I started pumping, the board was at only 4 psi (I had left it inflated). Maybe some air had leaked out slowly over the course of a week, or maybe not, so I might have done my first paddle board outing on as little as 4 psi. It was still impressively firm.

I pumped it up to 15 psi, removed the hose, and the valve stuck open blasting out air. I reacted, I thought, pretty quick and tapped the valve and it shut. The board felt full, but I thought I should check. I hooked up the pump again, and it had gone from 15 psi to 8 psi!

I pumped it up to 15 psi again, and barely twisted on the hose and it popped off decisively! I'm learning, I'll need to keep a hand close by when I remove the hose.

My 2nd outing was fun!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 02:15:49 AM »
Tom, just checking that you know how to work your valve. You turn the inner part til it pops out to make it one way. You press and turn the other way to make it stay open.

Should be no reason to keep a hand nearby when disconnecting. The air stays in until you open that valve. I’m sure you got this sorted but just in case.

Tom iSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:28:20 AM »
Thanks for checking that a newbie knows! I know about pressing and turning the valve to deflate the board. I might have had it not quite turned enough and seated, or maybe managed to turn it a bit as I took off the hose.

Fortunately I can leave it pumped up for now.

Desired feature: Board with a permanent pressure gauge in the board itself. Then you could look at it, and not bother topping it off if it held pressure well enough. Obviously this is for people who can leave the board pumped up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal