Author Topic: Tiger shark etiquette  (Read 5105 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Tiger shark etiquette
« on: March 24, 2021, 12:54:03 PM »
When paddling at your favorite break and you see a large tiger shark slowly cruising do you:
1) head in quietly
2) paddle over to others and let them know
3) scream "shark , shark"

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tiger shark etiquette
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:31:09 PM »
Cry?

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:51 PM »
Soil yourself, and then let others know
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
i think i must have developed shark vision or something: i have plenty of friends who never see any sharks. I have had many close encounters this past year, two with large tigers. Nothing overtly dangerous. Just them checking me out. beautiful but made me wish my board was two feet longer.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 09:05:03 PM »
But really, I know what to do with a bear or cougar...sharks not so much. Is there even a standard set "don't do this" or "protocalls"?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 09:47:39 PM »
In my experience, if you're comfortable and interested in sharks, you'll see a lot of them. If you aren't, you won't. I see them all the time, I seek them out. I've seen many hundreds, maybe thousands in my life. Big Makos, lots of bulls, great whites, tigers, and a zillion white tips, black tips, Galapagos, greys, nurse sharks, and the weird little ones like cookie cutters. I've surfaced through schools of hammerheads, seen leopards, got chased around by a dusky that wanted my lingcod.  I've never seen oceanic white tip, never seen a whale shark, a porbeagle, or oddly, a dogfish, though they are common.

I've seen the Tiger that hangs out at the entrance to Kahalui harbor at the end of a Maliko run probably 50 times or more. Bill Boyum (headmount) never has to my knowledge, even though we're usually pretty close together coming into the harbor. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 10:35:08 PM »
As an ex diver fish-farmer, I have more experiences with this beauties that I would want.
My advice, learn their stress sings. If the move fast, arched back fins down. RUNNNN.
Don't let them check you out many times.
At the end shark are like dogs, and you don't get close to a dog that is barking stressed out.
I hope this helps.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:29:58 PM »
fortunately this was slow lazy moves big S turns

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »
I think ideally you would want to remain calm as sharks can hear your heartbeat.  If they hear a fast heartbeat, they can sense your stress.
I don't have experience with tigers.  But some sharks are ambush predators and will attack if they think you don't see them.  So I would try to keep an eye on the shark.
I would try not to splash.  Ideally, you would calmly, slowly paddle back to shore.
I have a feeling my nerves would get to me and my legs would start shaking.  I would not want to fall into the water.  I may go to my knees and paddle back that way for that reason.
If you have mates in the water.  You can call out shark and do the fin sign on the top of your head.
Notify lifeguard and shore patrol if appropriate.
I had a female friend who was out prone surfing, who had aunt flow visiting, and she got circled by a tiger shark.  She and her friend were able to paddle back to shore safely.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »
They certainly can motivate one. I was longboarding with my two daughters at Manzanita years ago when my older daughter Cassie, who was inside a bit yelled at me and pointed out, where I could see a fin and tail tip. Looked fairly big. I yelled to my younger daughter, Elizabeth, who was outside and fairly close to the shark, but she couldn't make out what I yelled. A few moments later she sat up straight, pivoted her board, and paddled in like a torpedo. I swear she left a rooster tail. I was laughing so hard I could hardly paddle in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
Not a tiger shark, but I enjoyed hearing about Wayne Lynch's encounter with a white shark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-rj_O9gbw
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 07:27:20 PM »
In my experience, if you're comfortable and interested in sharks, you'll see a lot of them. If you aren't, you won't. I see them all the time, I seek them out. I've seen many hundreds, maybe thousands in my life. Big Makos, lots of bulls, great whites, tigers, and a zillion white tips, black tips, Galapagos, greys, nurse sharks, and the weird little ones like cookie cutters. I've surfaced through schools of hammerheads, seen leopards, got chased around by a dusky that wanted my lingcod.  I've never seen oceanic white tip, never seen a whale shark, a porbeagle, or oddly, a dogfish, though they are common.

I've seen the Tiger that hangs out at the entrance to Kahalui harbor at the end of a Maliko run probably 50 times or more. Bill Boyum (headmount) never has to my knowledge, even though we're usually pretty close together coming into the harbor.

yeah that describes it. The reef sharks i am pretty used to now. THe tigers have a whole different feel to them: like ' we know who's da boss , dont we"

sometimes i feel like: why do i want to ruin my friends session to notify them since in all likelihood the sharks are around us most days and we just missed em.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:11:08 PM »
Ye, exactly. They're there. Whether you see them or not. Closing a beach because someone saw a shark is politics, not safety.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »
When paddling at your favorite break and you see a large tiger shark slowly cruising do you:
1) head in quietly
2) paddle over to others and let them know
3) scream "shark , shark"

Don't worry, they are harmless, ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14SjsqjgvII

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 05:05:32 PM »
yep that is the look

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal