Author Topic: Is there SUP Surf life after 70?  (Read 11064 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is there SUP Surf life after 70?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 08:00:09 AM »
Simply Awesome.......If we remain young at heart, do we ever really grow old?
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
I love all of your posts Creek, thanks for sharing.  The trip to Portugal was epic. 
I think your switch to vegan may be the fountain of youth.
If anyone is interested in the topic with respect to athleticism, the documentary film "The Game Changers" is inspiring:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7455754/

Here is some inspiration for those that want to SUP surf after 80 (Mickey Munoz 82):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pUlXkJnyY
(11:15'-14:35')
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:14:41 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 02:52:57 PM »
SoCo.... not if we are stoked about tomorrow!

sflinux thanks, much appreciated!
I actually never went vegan... it was "Primal" which is similar in many ways, but there is still meat and chicken included only if grass fed or free range with no additives.

The trailer for Vegan looks interesting.

I am not eating much meat these days, mainly because I don't do much cooking in Florida, mostly salad type stuff but I do eat a lot of eggs.

Finally.... I am back in weight loss mentality.
It's hard to break out of the comfort food rut and lock into weight loss eating.... but I am THERE!  ;D
Down 5 lbs in the past week.... down 20 lbs since a  Sunova Demo road trip got me on a bad path in mid winter.
I am very happy where my head is now and weight is shedding on healthy eating.

Just finished up 3 awesome days of waves in SoFlo.... yewwwwww!
Surfed today with my new buddy Jimmy McK, who emailed me after lurking on the Zone.... we shared a fun session!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »
I love all of your posts Creek, thanks for sharing.  The trip to Portugal was epic. 
I think your switch to vegan may be the fountain of youth.
If anyone is interested in the topic with respect to athleticism, the documentary film "The Game Changers" is inspiring:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7455754/

Here is some inspiration for those that want to SUP surf after 80 (Mickey Munoz 82):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pUlXkJnyY
(11:15'-14:35')
I was there at Dog Patch went they filmed that. I was talking to Mickey and asked him if he was going out? He said he was waiting for Collin, they were going to film them surfing together. Both of them are the nicest guys to hang and chat with. Mickey is always R&D'g something.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »
There sure as hell better be!  70 is young!  My dad’s family often makes it past 100.  Had my dad not fallen and broken his hip a couple of months before 95 he may have made it.  But it seems like the 90s suck.  He was crippled and had dementia.  So I am making it my life’s mission to keep it going after 90! Here’s a man and woman who won a track race at 100 and 102!

https://youtu.be/tOzCoDvRqyk

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 07:29:21 AM »
Hi,
Ilmsup, sorry to hear about your dad's fall.
A new study found an increased risk of dementia (>40-50% increase) by eating processed meats (i.e. bacon).
Article:
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab028/6178922?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Summary:
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/mental-health/544545-new-study-suggests-bacon-and-processed-meats-may
Best of luck to joining the 100 club.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »
The people bringing up the rear in that video run like I do. No great loss, I never liked running anyway. I got stuck working as Shore Patrol in the navy once, and the only training I had was a crusty bosun's mate telling me "face a gun and run from a knife". I figured I would be screwed either way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 07:10:35 PM »
Hi,
Ilmsup, sorry to hear about your dad's fall.
A new study found an increased risk of dementia (>40-50% increase) by eating processed meats (i.e. bacon).
Article:
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab028/6178922?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Summary:
https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/mental-health/544545-new-study-suggests-bacon-and-processed-meats-may
Best of luck to joining the 100 club.
Thanks SFLNUX.  I think the stress of caring for my mom for 15 years may have contributed.  She had a severe stroke at 75 and lived another 15 years in a nursing home.  It really gives you a sense of urgency to make the most of your good health after that. 

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 08:45:32 AM »
Hell Yeah!
Nice video. Big ol' smile here watching that....
Creative editing as well.
Happy Birthday.
Yes, you are an inspiration.
Now you're an old man in his 70's chasing waves around the world....just surfing & spreading joy.....who would have ever thought, aye?
Nice job.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 12:08:00 PM »
I was there at Dog Patch went they filmed that. I was talking to Mickey and asked him if he was going out? He said he was waiting for Collin, they were going to film them surfing together. Both of them are the nicest guys to hang and chat with. Mickey is always R&D'g something.
Mickey is always fun to talk to. Hell of a good mind as well as a charger in the surf. The year that the BOP was at Salt Creek Micky was a ref, wearing the black and white striped shirt. The surf was really nice, breaking top to bottom and pitching out as much of a barrel as I've seen in SoCal. He was the only person that got to surf, the buggah. Somewhere I have a picture of Chuck, Mickey and Diane at the Riviera after party. Mickey's outfit was hilarious.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2021, 01:12:04 PM »
Hell Yeah!
Nice video. Big ol' smile here watching that....
Creative editing as well.
Happy Birthday.
Yes, you are an inspiration.
Now you're an old man in his 70's chasing waves around the world....just surfing & spreading joy.....who would have ever thought, aye?
Nice job.

Thanks Luc, I appreciate that you liked the editing, thank you! :)

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »
Creek,

You likely survived the "pole vault" because of your SUP fitness.  Use it or lose it.  The variance in fitness and health for senior citizens is huge.

Dean Ornish offers a wellness path and easy read, dealing with the big three:  diet, exercise and stress.

"UnDo It! with Anne Ornish" New York: Ballantine Books, 2019. ISBN 9780525479970

Those few who manage to adapt, often shock their physicians.

supthecreek

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:37 AM »
Yeah Bille K, I have built up a tolerance for beatings.
Probably just a lifetime of accepting them and staying relaxed as the hammer comes down.

That and the fact that I never let life get in the way of surfing, so I have maintained a target fitness and mental focus on maximizing every surf session.

Kawika Nui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2021, 07:50:11 AM »
Late to the party, but when you're older time loses its relevance - until it runs out.
I'm 80, still catching SUP waves.  Not by choice - my shoulders can't take prone paddling anymore - but it's better than nothing.
My inspiration is a guy a few years younger who had a stroke awhile back.  He can't ride standing up anymore, so he kneeboards it.
I have trouble paddling and balancing in bumpy water, so I took a page from his book: If there's a lot of chop or bump from backwash, etc.  I take off kneeling and then pop up and ride normally.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 10:36:15 AM »
Thought I would show another video. This time, showing a "young and old" sup surfers in action. Colin McPhillips and Mickey Munoz. BTW, Mickey was 82 years old in 2019 when he participated in this video.

And Mickey is surfing his sup with a 4 fin quad setup which is my favorite fin setups for my 11'1" One World and 10'5" Duke sup models.

This video is best seen in 1440p HD and in full screen mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3AvSktJLM
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal