Author Topic: Duotone Slick  (Read 14229 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Duotone Slick
« on: March 18, 2021, 03:28:53 PM »
Here's a video of Alan Cadiz promoting the attributes of the new Duotone Slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L02dL5Eqtg

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Duotone Slick
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 10:49:31 AM »
At the 6:44 minute mark of the above video I think it's Ken Winner doing the tacks -- those with a windsurfing background will know who that is!

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »
Yes and he riding a Mike's Lab with a custom Sky board.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:07:36 PM »
I want one.  Or maybe several. 

I am also noticing all those riders have 2 front straps and NO rear strap.  Mmmmmm ????

I have my bias for straps front and back but when I see someone, all of them, that good I have to take note and potentially change my game. 

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 03:47:07 PM »
I want one.  Or maybe several. 

I am also noticing all those riders have 2 front straps and NO rear strap.  Mmmmmm ????

I have my bias for straps front and back but when I see someone, all of them, that good I have to take note and potentially change my game.

I ride without a back strap on my bigger, non sinker board and it feels more intuitive being able to really drive hard carves by putting a foot close to a rail, making more efficient use of body weight. Less tiring too, as you're not putting loads of torque through a footstrap. My small board is actually too narrow to get really good leverage through moving my back foot so a rear strap is needed, and I jump that board anyway.
Alan Cadiz mentioned on the Blue Planet podcast he moves his back foot around too much for a back strap but had committed to keeping the foil in the water from the start.

EDIT - oh, and I have a Slick on order and can't wait to get that amped power in a short wingspan for sinker starts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:49:10 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 06:40:46 AM »
At the 6:44 minute mark of the above video I think it's Ken Winner doing the tacks -- those with a windsurfing background will know who that is!

Yeah, that's Ken, he also designs all the duotone wings and he's Allan's friend and neighbor, which is how Allan gets all those prototype wings. Well, that and he is probably the best testing resource on the planet with both his own skills and those of the instructors who work for him as well as the many students to try things at all experience levels. Allan is a pretty damned good fabricator and aluminum welder too. He made his own boom ends from welded aluminum in the early days of winging.

If they make a wing larger than 6M I'll buy one. I just bought a full quiver of F-one Strikes, but as a boom guy, these look really good.

I wing strapless. I don't jump--my head says yes, but my knees say NO! Robbie says "both or none" though I still like a front strap for surfing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:52:26 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
I'd really like to get a slick 5m but it's mentioned that the Aluminium booms won't be ready until May and no date on carbon booms.

I'd rather have a carbon boom but know prices on that yet. I'll guess I'll wait until everything's in stock in May there might be more options by then.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 01:32:20 PM »
I'd really like to get a slick 5m but it's mentioned that the Aluminium booms won't be ready until May and no date on carbon booms.

I'd rather have a carbon boom but know prices on that yet. I'll guess I'll wait until everything's in stock in May there might be more options by then.

$200 U.S. for the carbon boom.  The aluminium is a lot cheaper.

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/2021-duotone-slick-wing/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 09:33:06 PM »
It's pretty easy to make booms.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 08:58:30 AM »
How long is it?
A 120cm spearfishing carbon tube is 60€.
28mm outside diameter.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:13:57 PM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:31 AM »
Slick compared to the Echo: lower aspect; tips drawn in (bounce off the water when there is contact); more tension in the canopy; more stable; more control; more power; better boom system, which is more direct and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLDRdUpHkWs

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 09:17:29 AM »
How long is it?
28mm outside diameter.

The simplest way to make a boom is from a Kenalu Paddle shaft. They're tapered and happen to be almost exactly the right size for the original duotone boom ends. I don't know about the Slick's boom ends but they look about the same size. I made a number of duotone carbon booms for myself and my friends. as far as I know, they are all still in use. If I manage to get a slick that will be the first thing I do. Dropping the boom weight by 60 percent is a big deal, especially for downwind or when flagging. A heavy boom drops the tail of the wing unless it's blasting.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
How long is it?
28mm outside diameter.

The simplest way to make a boom is from a Kenalu Paddle shaft. They're tapered and happen to be almost exactly the right size for the original duotone boom ends. I don't know about the Slick's boom ends but they look about the same size. I made a number of duotone carbon booms for myself and my friends. as far as I know, they are all still in use. If I manage to get a slick that will be the first thing I do. Dropping the boom weight by 60 percent is a big deal, especially for downwind or when flagging. A heavy boom drops the tail of the wing unless it's blasting.

You can order the Slick with a carbon boom -- it's more expensive ($200) but specifically made for the Slick and is very light.  I'm not sure what carbon paddles cost or how much effort goes into modifying them.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »
In the unboxing video above the author mentions how light the carbon boom is.  You can also see what the ends of the boom look like and how it attaches to the wing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:24:50 AM by deja vu »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal