Author Topic: Experience with Yakima SupDawg?  (Read 3515 times)

NOWAVES_VB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Experience with Yakima SupDawg?
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Yakima SupDawg https://yakima.com/products/supdawg. My girlfriend and I will be taking a 6 month trip to different states and I want to bring a couple of SUPs with us. I wanted something that could secure my boards while traveling and based on the videos I've seen the ease of use for the product is great.  I was just about to buy it, but found this review from Paddle Monster https://www.paddlemonster.com/2017/06/12/a-close-look-at-the-yakima-supdawg/ that mentions one of the straps kept coming loose and that is something I really didn't want to worry about. Any opinion or experience would be valuable because I'm hesitant to spend $300+ on this if it can't do the basic things right.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Experience with Yakima SupDawg?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 01:48:56 PM »
I had both the SupDawg and the Thule SUP Taxi XT and while decent products for the most part had flaws and failed in a little more demanding cases.
I did experience loose straps when carrying my big board in windy days and in highway speeds for long periods.

I ended up buying LockRack https://lockrackus.com. With the exception of snowy conditions, these racks are superior to previously mentioned products in every way.
I often carry two 17 foot long fat boards in highway speeds on extremely windy days.

This product has yet to fail me and it is far more convenient to operate as well. It also removes the rail pressure involved with straps thus preventing pressure dings on your boards.

Hope that helps. Happy tripping :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:51:03 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »
I have been using SUP Dawg for about 6 years now..no problems at all.  Really nice system where straps disappear inside the rack after tightening.  I’ve made bi annual drives from Maine to Florida with 2 sometimes 3 SUPs and no issues at all. Of course I double and triple up the straps on those trips, but for close trips to the beach, I find the SupDawg straps to be fine for short SUPs 8ft and longer 14 ft...highly recommend.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

NMPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 09:15:24 PM »
+1 for LockRack. I bought their Single SUP carrier last month and have used it to take my new 14x25 carbon fiber board to the lake several times. The LockRack holds my board securely, it's a simple and fast operation to get the board loaded and unloaded, protects the rails, and I'm no longer concerned a gust of wind will catch my board and toss it to the ground while I'm dealing with straps. Initially I had tried using some simple velcro pads and straps to transport my board but quickly found it took too long to load the board and it never felt super secure. The LockRack carrier was a big improvement for me.
Jimmy Lewis U-Boat 14' x 25"
Red Paddle Sport 11' x 30"

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 05:54:14 AM »
Padded bars and dakine baha straps work awesome Or steel core straps to lock extra strap through vehicle if on highway. Pool noodles split for stacking and cinching.  Simple and never fails. People who have thule sup taxi seem to like it.   Looks similar

Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 09:51:00 PM »
Why does it have to be named that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal