Author Topic: Want to try Foiling but need some advice  (Read 3849 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Want to try Foiling but need some advice
« on: March 17, 2021, 01:53:41 PM »
I mostly SUP surf. Rarely prone surf anymore. Some longboarding. Former windsurfer of 20 yrs.

Is it possible or rational to buy a SUP foil that could double as a wing foil?  or is that a bad idea. I dont have the luxury of buying multiple set ups...

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Want to try Foiling but need some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 02:23:15 PM »
Yes. Pretty sure it works that way, but not the other way around.

A SUP is often used to learn how to wing.

A wingboard would be very hard to SUP.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
Yes - Find a used 7' 6" to 6' 6" FOIL SUP and you can wing on that.  They are probably $600 to $900.

I have had 4X SUP Foil boards: 8', 7'4", 6'6" and 6'.  Again all SUP FOIL Boards.  I have winged on the smallest 3 of them.

I learned to Wing-Ding on my 6' 6" Easy Foiler by Blue Planet.   

The 6 foot is now my preferred wing board but that would have been impossible to learn to SUP Foil.  I can still and enjoy SUP foiling on my 7'4" and my 6' 6" Foil boards.  In fact my 7' 4" is now my Go-To big wave Foil board.  (The 8' board broke). 

With enough wind they all Wing-fly great. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 05:47:12 PM »
Yes, very doable, just depends on your experience as a SUPer, and how small of a board you're able to balance...noting that you can stand on a much smaller foil board than you would a regular SUP board w/o the huge foil/keel underneath it.

This 5'1x27x102 liter sup foil board...that I put the handle in the bottom just in case it wound up to be too small or under-volumed for me to sup on, and I could then sell it to one of the several wing-foilers who were already getting in line to buy it before it was glassed to replace their much larger sup boards they now wing foil on, and want smaller.

Fortunately, it floats me well, paddles great, and is an absolute blast in the air. Needless to say, it's a keeper, and staying in the quiver.  ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:16:00 PM »
Absolutely, that’s how I started. 6’6” 115 Ltr Fanatic Sky Sup ..great board to learn wing foiling and then some....Although I have downsized to a  5’4” wing specific board, I still use the larger Fanatic board on light wind big wing days and have a blast.  Will also be using it to SUP foil so it is not obsolete ...good luck
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:22:56 PM »
I think the question is pretty much answered--yes indeed you can. I wing and sup on all the foil boards I own except my 6'0, and I could probably get used to that, or just lose a few more pounds. The board you should start with depends on your weight and balance abilities. I'm 215 (maybe a little more lately) so about 220-225 with a mid-weight wetsuit. And I'm a geezer with all the usual geezer balance issues. My current all-around board is a 6'4" X 32" flying dutchman with probably 130-135L. It's my go-to board for SUP surfing and wingfoiling. I started with bigger boards, and both surfed and winged most of them, from an 8' Jimmy Lewis to a converted L41 8'8" mini sims, to Mr. Fugly, a 7'6" X 33" (I think) Kalama Kustom, to a 6'8" X 30" Kalama, to my current flying dutchman. All of the boards except the big JL, the L41, and Mr. Fugly got winged on, and the only reason those didn't was because I had already moved smaller when wings became available.

You can wing on anything you can sup foil on, but you'll progress faster both at winging and surfing once you're up and flying if you get something at the very edge of your comfort zone. A board you can barely stand on in your first session will feel too big once you're up and foiling. The foil adds a lot of stability, but it won't feel like that at first--you have to get used to a different motion of the board and foil. Once you do, you can get on something smaller very easily
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 09:08:06 PM »
wow; this is why the zone is such a great place

So i am all of 150 lbs. My go to sup is 7'10 but i am pushing 60

What are recs on board size, mast size and foil set up? There are lots of used Go pro models available.do i want  a short mast?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 09:05:17 AM »
Obviously, your balance is fine, I've never surfed anything shorter than my L41. Find something in the 5'6" to 6' range--the 5'6" end will feel adequate longer, but a 6' will be easier to learn on and will probably be cheaper on the used market. The easy-start end of the gofoil line is the M200 and Iwa (170). You'd probably be comfortable on an Iwa. But you'll quickly start looking at the GL wings and pedestal tail.

It's easiest to learn with a short fuselage, but the difference is trivial and you get over it in a few sessions. 24" is the short GoFoil fuse, 29" is better for several reasons. It's stiffer, and beginners breach a lot. The 29" helps a bit with that.

Honestly, you can start with anything, and some folks stay with the beginner/intermediate stuff for a long time. Loons like me who are always looking to buy performance instead of working to maximize what they have don't actually progress faster. It just looks like they do and the bragging rights are better. I know people who foil rings around me on first-gen GoFoil gear. It doesn't have to be an expensive sport, you can wait for people like me to make the initial purchase and then buy at 50 cents on the dollar or less.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 08:48:23 PM »
Pono has it. I’m 140 and I learned on a 6’4”x28” SUP/Wing combo.

I could totally keep riding it happily but I want to try to progress so I’m going smaller. There’s always someone to buy your old board when you’re ready to move and as was said, if you find one used you won’t lose money at all.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 05:41:54 AM »
I meant "it's easiest to learn with a short MAST".

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 08:45:12 PM »
is shorter mast really safer?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
Do you want to fall from this high? Or this high?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 09:24:56 PM »
It’s also psychological. When you start you can’t believe how high 70cm is when you first get up there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal