Author Topic: Armstrong HA1125  (Read 27999 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Armstrong HA1125
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2021, 10:25:28 AM »
If Axis came out with curvy wings like this I would be stoked.
Curious as to what you like about the curvy wing tips, and/or the benefit(s) of them.

My experience is the curvy wings have a very fluid and flowy tight banking carving ability that feels fantastic, and much better at tip breaching without ventilating.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 05:04:35 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, Clay, the thing I liked most about the 860 wing, which has a mild gullwing, is that it banks and flows. the fatboy wing I built was a substantial gullwing, and while it had too much lift to be practical, I loved the way it turned, and even with the stupendous lift it would either recover from a breach or skim along close to the surface, sucking air.   
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 06:13:47 PM »
If Axis came out with curvy wings like this I would be stoked.
Curious as to what you like about the curvy wing tips, and/or the benefit(s) of them.

My experience is the curvy wings have a very fluid and flowy tight banking carving ability that feels fantastic, and much better at tip breaching without ventilating.
Yeah, following up on what PB said, I guess I was thinking about some different "curvy wing tips", and not just a "curvy wing"...because the 860 and 760 are both "curvy wings" that are "very fluid and flowy tight banking carving ability that feels fantastic and much better at tip breaching without ventilating".

Don't know if you've ridden either of those, and what you felt about either of them that didn't meet your above criteria of what a curvy wing should provide.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 08:00:50 AM »
I have ridden other brands double curve/ gull wings.

For me I like a single curve, or a surfboard analogy preferring single concave to double concave.  The feel difference is a seemless transition from rail to rail, whereas with the gull/ double curve wing I feel the transition from one curve to the other.

I was listening to a Thomas Campbell interview on the Water People podcast and he said - did you get the feeling?   Meaning regardless of ride we are after the same feel good sensation of our own personal nirvana of a good ride - stoke!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 09:58:35 AM »
I have ridden other brands double curve/ gull wings.

For me I like a single curve, or a surfboard analogy preferring single concave to double concave.  The feel difference is a seemless transition from rail to rail, whereas with the gull/ double curve wing I feel the transition from one curve to the other.

I was listening to a Thomas Campbell interview on the Water People podcast and he said - did you get the feeling?   Meaning regardless of ride we are after the same feel good sensation of our own personal nirvana of a good ride - stoke!
Gotcha, I've ridden a bunch of other brands' wings (curvy and otherwise), and yes, they have a different feel. I also think a lot has to do with other things besides just the front wing, and what they're paired with.

Using the surfboard analogy, having a "flexy" board with whatever bottom changes the ride/feel of the board also, as does the choice of fins you have in it. Many variables IOWs....same with a foil. Judging a front wing shape on a flexy mast, and the wrong tail can contribute to a different feel from a front wing design, that with a stiffer mast, and correct tail...might just be the exact thing/feel you're searching for.

Make sure you look my up the next time you're at Sano Clay, and we'll experiment with different (curvy) wings, and see if that above makes any difference and/or maybe changes your mind or opinion about them. 👍🏽
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
I've never understood Armstrong's decision to use a hex plug. Harder to manufacture to reasonable tolerance, less resistance to torque. A tapered square plug makes a lot more sense from a design standpoint. Better yet, bail from the entire plug design. That's the reason I switched to Axis.

I prefer the plug design.  It's marginally easier to put together and should resist bolts shearing in a forward collision better than a design that depends on the bolts for "x-axis" strength.  I, for one, have been known to hit bottom at full speed in a spectacular human cannonball catapult display.

You are right that the hex is less secure than a square in the circumference - only reason I see they did that is to reduce the diameter of the female socket in the front wings and it may also help with point loads in the socket?

All this being conjecture, we should ask Armie.  Seems like an approachable dude.

Back on the HA1123 topic, a couple of months ago I fell straight onto the wingtip of my HS1850 and bruised my ribs.  Kept me off the water for a week and a half and I could feel it for about four.  As much as I want to try a HA wing out of pure curiosity - I feel those long, pointy tips could be even more of a Cuisinart than your regular wings. Armstrong foils tend to float sideways for a while before they sink, and someone mentioned a 3 foot wingspan? Ouch.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2021, 05:52:59 AM »
I've never understood Armstrong's decision to use a hex plug. Harder to manufacture to reasonable tolerance, less resistance to torque. A tapered square plug makes a lot more sense from a design standpoint. Better yet, bail from the entire plug design. That's the reason I switched to Axis.

I prefer the plug design.  It's marginally easier to put together and should resist bolts shearing in a forward collision better than a design that depends on the bolts for "x-axis" strength.  I, for one, have been known to hit bottom at full speed in a spectacular human cannonball catapult display.

You are right that the hex is less secure than a square in the circumference - only reason I see they did that is to reduce the diameter of the female socket in the front wings and it may also help with point loads in the socket?

All this being conjecture, we should ask Armie.  Seems like an approachable dude.

Back on the HA1123 topic, a couple of months ago I fell straight onto the wingtip of my HS1850 and bruised my ribs.  Kept me off the water for a week and a half and I could feel it for about four.  As much as I want to try a HA wing out of pure curiosity - I feel those long, pointy tips could be even more of a Cuisinart than your regular wings. Armstrong foils tend to float sideways for a while before they sink, and someone mentioned a 3 foot wingspan? Ouch.

If you manage to shear three or four 8mm bolts then it's probably a good thing you sheared them, but the bolts on an axis mount are not in shear. There's a large inset block. The bolts are just in tension, holding the block into the receiving slot on the wing. The downside is the required thickness of the wing which is why the black fuselages came about. It's still somewhat limited, all design is managing compromises.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2021, 11:10:16 AM »
@Dave - Will do. 🤙

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
New stabilizer to go with the HA foil or any Armstrong foil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5CiC-bXa0o
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:41:31 PM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »

Deepwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2021, 07:11:27 AM »
Anyone have any "how to"  links with guidance / tips on how to drill the current foils & mast with the Armstrong drill jig kit...?
Can't find anything on you tube...
Armstrong FG 60L.
85cm/HA1125/HA195

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2021, 08:27:25 AM »
Here in Canada the Armstrong foils (especially the new ones) are super expensive.  The HA1125 package is $3,760 with tax!  So, we're deficit spending like crazy.  People are receiving government money (stimulus spending) and using it to purchase Armstrong foils?  Apparently or else taking trips to Maui to learn how to wing foil.   ;D  This delusional thinking has to end sometime or maybe not.  :P. Thanks to the pandemic the housing prices here have left the stratosphere and are well on the way to the outer reaches of the galaxy.   :o  All I can do is sit back , hang on and go along for the ride -- the mental patients now run the asylum.  :(

Add 13% H.S.T. (tax) to these prices.

https://www.2-rad.com/foils-1/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:43:43 AM by deja vu »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
You can't buy happiness. But you can buy foils. So it's pretty close.

Deepwater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2021, 08:10:52 PM »
Anyone have tips or links for guidance on how to drill the mast & wings with the new jig...?
Armstrong FG 60L.
85cm/HA1125/HA195

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 02:36:32 PM »
Well - the wing came in but the fuse did not.
And there’s no wind to try it out anyway.
All I can do is look at it.
(That’s an HS1850 for scale)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal