Author Topic: Rut row...going from a 28" wide to 22" wide SUP is a HUGE difference!  (Read 12195 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
I got a great deal on a 14x22 Ninja. Problem is...I've been on a 14x28 raft (RS AirGlide) and the difference is quite shocking. I learned the hard way that March water temps are not ideal for learning to paddle a narrow board!
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
With enough practice you'll get there. Get your self a good fin in mean time, it might help with easing you into it.
in progress...

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
bigger fin = more stability?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
bigger fin = more stability?

Larger surface area and then depth are the metrics to go by in that order. More surface area will help you remove some of the wobble over the standard fin
while overall faster due-to its shallower template and larger base.

The Larry Allison Dolphin keel is a very popular race fin for many folks transitioning to a narrower race boards: https://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/dolphin-keel-fibre-glass-fin-co-larry-allison.html.html

Another option would be the Larry Allison Hybrid fin: https://smile.amazon.com/Larry-Allison-Hybrid-Race-Touring/dp/B07NF9BZHS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=larry+allison+hybrid&qid=1615555146&sr=8-1

This fin is not as fast but would be more stable due to its template with a lot more surface area in the tip. More affordable as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:24:15 AM by burchas »
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
That is a big jump. I have worked my way down to a 22.5 board recently.
 F ONE flatwater. A very different  board to the Ninja though. Flat bottom and large square tail so I would imagine it is more stable.
 As burchas says fins do make a big difference. I would buy a cheap fin like the FCS touring fin.
 You need to have confidence in the secondary stability of the board. It may feel tippy initially but when you lean on that large rail there is a lot of stability there.
 Keep moving. It sounds silly but when you slow down the fin and rails aren't working and the board is less stable. I used to start kneeling and do a few strokes to get moving then stand up. Same stopping,kneel down before you stop.
 It takes time but you will get there and the reward will be worth it.
 Nice board buy the way.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Many thanks tarquin - all good tips!
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Loudoun,  I've had the fin mentioned in this 2011 posting for ??? (Red in color)  ...it also lacks a screw. If you'd like to simply try it send me a PM.  It's yours to test for the cost of postage. 

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=11744.0

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Loudoun,  I've had the fin mentioned in this 2011 posting for ??? (Red in color)  ...it also lacks a screw. If you'd like to simply try it send me a PM.  It's yours to test for the cost of postage. 

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=11744.0

Jim

Wow Jim, that is so thoughtful of you...many thanks. I think I'm going to just flat out purchase the Larry Allison "Dolphin Keel 14".  I also found this $39 keel fin for consideration: https://checkout.supatx.com/sup-atx-keel-fin-color-black-length-7-5-free-shipping.html
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I also found this $39 keel fin for consideration...

If you're going for junk, you can go much cheaper.
If your fin does something similar to the picture below that's not a good thing...

in progress...

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Noted...stick with the Larry Allison...got it!
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Copy ...report back, and good luck. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Copy ...report back, and good luck. 

Jim

Unfortunately, the Larry Allison fin does not fit. It's very long, and seems a bit thicker than most FCS fins. I even got out my rubber sledgehammer to drive it into place but its just not happening. Bummer.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
If it’s just a matter of thickness you could easily address it by sanding the base.
It’s better a base too thick than thin.
in progress...

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Agree w/ burchas, probably worthwhile to make the effort to sand the base.
But if you're still looking at other fins ... check out my classified at:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,36992.0.html
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
With the water much warmer, I headed out for my 2nd adventure with the 22 inch wide Ninja. I did manage to sand down the Larry Allison Fin (perhaps a little too much), so it now fits. This time I spent more time starting out on my knees, and learning how and when the secondary stability kicks in. I did manage 1-hour of shaking paddling without falling. Its surprising how much more tired you are after fighting to stay upright for an hour. A couple of notes:

*I'm at 85kg (187 lbs) and wonder if I'm too big for the board? The nose was pushing through the mirrored water with only the top of the nose above the surface. The board is rated at 250 liters.
**I have to believe the keel fin for Larry Allison was helping me stay upright. I was still shaking but stayed dry (except for my feet).
***About those wet feet. I'm officially not a fan of those drain holes that allow water to rush in when standing still. I can see during a race how its beneficial, but for just touring or anything when the water is cold, this is counterproductive (IMO).
****Of the newer flatwater SUP boards, I'm beginning to think the NSP Ninja has lower stability compared to its competitors (Starboard Sprint, Fanatic Strike, etc.) There is a concave, but its barely noticeable. I'm guessing if I can learn to paddle this thing then I should be able to paddle just about anything.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 01:35:45 PM by LoudounSUP »
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal