Author Topic: New updated Board/Wing leash?  (Read 12233 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New updated Board/Wing leash?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »
Maybe for time being just get the Axis belt as the Velcro wrap is pretty heavy duty hook and loop and I’ve been using it close to a year now at 225# until someone comes out with state of the art simple winging belt with a harness hook,kinda hard winging on days like today with G of 35+ without a harness just makes winging more enjoyable with a harness to regroup/ relax a bit every so often IMO keep on trucking Beasho👍

And where do I get this? 

Are you modifying this? 
https://axisfoils.com/products/axis-sup-foil-coil-waist-leash-8

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
Maybe for time being just get the Axis belt as the Velcro wrap is pretty heavy duty hook and loop and I’ve been using it close to a year now at 225# until someone comes out with state of the art simple winging belt with a harness hook,kinda hard winging on days like today with G of 35+ without a harness just makes winging more enjoyable with a harness to regroup/ relax a bit every so often IMO keep on trucking Beasho👍

And where do I get this? 

Are you modifying this? 
https://axisfoils.com/products/axis-sup-foil-coil-waist-leash-8

I get them at Live2kite in the Bay Area,very good waist leash my latest morph has been,I adapted the dbl coil Kaohi leash with handle to Axis belt.
This was just posted on another thread by NSI looks like a step in right direction finally👏 But plastic hook seems like it could use a backing plate like the maniac hook,but NSI is on track to make a decent winging leash looks like👍

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=560

Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 04:47:52 PM »
Ohh - I like the NSI version a lot!  seems like they nailed the feature set

WingTime

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
I just received my new takoon waist leash. It’s great because it has multiple attach point.
I connect the coil leash to my board in the back and connect my Armstrong wing leash is front.
I think adding the Da Kine Maniac hook would complete it and I don’t think you would need to modify it, see pics and links.

https://takoon.com/products/leash-belt-sup-foil

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 07:52:31 PM »
Team low tech.
Webbing and plastic clasp from Ace hardware. I've used this with a weight attached as my freediving belt for a few years. Took the weight off and added the hook. I don't attach any other leashes to it.
Helps if you're wearing a wetsuit or impact vest.

I started using an ozone waist leash recently for the wing. Haven't used the harness since the summer, as I don't find much need in the surf. But will probably combine the two at some point.

Noooo. Don't use a plastic clasp for something that connects you to the stuff you need. If your plastic buckle breaks while you're freediving you lose your weights. If it breaks when you're using it to connect you to your board, you get to do the long, long swim. I did serious diving for about 30 years from just an uncertified guy screwing around up to rescue diver and semi-divemaster. I don't remember how many plastic buckles I had fail--it's a big number. They get old, they adsorb UV, they get brittle, they break. I lost my entire 45-pound weight belt at 250 feet wearing a thick neoprene drysuit in brutally cold water--it briskly fell to 1000+. As you know, that's no place to have gear fail, but it did. I came up holding a rock, with my lungs as empty as I could get them and my drysuit plastered against me and BC empty, and still couldn't stop.  I had minor bend symptoms for a few months. I will NEVER trust a plastic buckle again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 11:35:52 AM »
Ordered a new NSI winging harness up to check it out,I believe it has plastic interlocking buckle too😳but maybe a little hook and loop Velcro backup extra security’ in case it comes undone might be in order looking forward to testing it out but sure it will be fine for winging app🤞

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »

Noooo. Don't use a plastic clasp for something that connects you to the stuff you need. If your plastic buckle breaks while you're freediving you lose your weights. If it breaks when you're using it to connect you to your board, you get to do the long, long swim. I did serious diving for about 30 years from just an uncertified guy screwing around up to rescue diver and semi-divemaster. I don't remember how many plastic buckles I had fail--it's a big number. They get old, they adsorb UV, they get brittle, they break. I lost my entire 45-pound weight belt at 250 feet wearing a thick neoprene drysuit in brutally cold water--it briskly fell to 1000+. As you know, that's no place to have gear fail, but it did. I came up holding a rock, with my lungs as empty as I could get them and my drysuit plastered against me and BC empty, and still couldn't stop.  I had minor bend symptoms for a few months. I will NEVER trust a plastic buckle again.
HAHA! yeah it only has the maniac hook connected. so if it fails I lose nothing, as the wing and board leashes aren't connected to it.  basically just made it to play with a harness to see if I like using one.

That being said, the ozone waist leash I just got also uses a plastic buckle, and yeah I don't trust it. will probably make a velcro safety for it.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 04:42:51 PM »

HAHA! yeah it only has the maniac hook connected. so if it fails I lose nothing, as the wing and board leashes aren't connected to it.  basically just made it to play with a harness to see if I like using one.

That being said, the ozone waist leash I just got also uses a plastic buckle, and yeah I don't trust it. will probably make a velcro safety for it.
On that note if you look at my waist/harness leash pict at beginning of thread here you can see that I use a small piece of olds kite line (orange/yellow spectra in pict)for a mini safety leash of my maniac hook to belt so if Velcro or buckle happens to come undone you don’t loose your maniac hook there hard to come by these days don’t want to loose em

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 05:21:23 AM »
https://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=2409262

Pics of my new harness,works great.
I copied the NSI plastic hook,too expensive to import to EU.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
Just received my new NSI minimalist waist belt in my hands today got to say looks promising lightweight and simple👏 the hook is pretty stout plastic but protrudes out about 1/2 as much as the maniac hook so will have to see how ease of hook in and nhooking is with it hopefully have a try tomorrow🤞Older new NSI here in picts

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 09:27:50 PM »
I was going to swing by NSI today and pick up their harness and leash, but I found a roll of 1/2" tubular webbing in my shop and I had some 1/4" bungee, so I made this. My sewing is a bit rusty but I made up for stitch quality with quantity.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2021, 06:13:53 PM »
Maiden voyage today on the NSI Minimalist wing harness and gotta say works pretty darn good even for a heavier rider,hooking in with the NSI winging hook works real well with my duotone harness lines and unhooking was sweet too almost better/ effortless than my maniac hook pretty stoked that it worked so well and got used to it very quickly for first go,think NSI did a damn good job on a V1 simple lightweight winging harness and so much better having board leash and wing leash going to waist belt can’t believe I rode over a year with that stinking wrist leash no mas!Leashes are never perfect winging but this is a great step in the right direction from NSI. And for those of us that want a even simpler cheaper route the NSI wing leash belt with one of there plastic hooks would be pretty nice too.About frigging time someone came out with a simple effective winging specific harness belt,sure there could be a few tweaks for a V2 but the V1 NSI pretty much nailed it
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:24:17 PM by paddlur »

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 03:01:09 AM »
Aloha,
Curious  if anyone has one of these Takoon leashes? I am making one and stumped on how the shock cord inside the Dyneema cover is terminated. if you have a closeup pic that would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Geoff

https://takoon.com/products/leash-wing-2?lang=en
Geoff C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal