Author Topic: New updated Board/Wing leash?  (Read 12317 times)

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
New updated Board/Wing leash?
« on: March 11, 2021, 09:28:48 AM »
With all the advancement in new V2 and V3 wings and new foil wing tech coming out for crying out loud why can’t one of these companies come out with a good simple wing and board leash harness hook waist belt combo already! I use a Axis waist belt leash modified with a Kaohi dbl coil with built in handle rail saver for my board and harness hook, but increasingly especially on windy days with waves am finding out the hard way that wing leashes on your wrist are hazardous to your shoulder so would like a good simple waist belt harness that can accommodate both,I’m Leary of just putting my wrist leash on my belt as in a big pull might peel the Velcro off but I will test it out as couple weeks ago got lucky and avoided a bad shoulder tweak by getting wing pulled in good sized waves much better to get pulled by mid torso,but then the tangle thing might increase but not a lot of alternatives just don’t want mess up my shoulder.I’ve been using this simple waist leash harness combo very successfully for close to a year now and being a longtime kiter really don’t need a kiting style harness for winging just a lightweight simple waist belt works fine for me at 225lbs no less.For me some improvements to my belt would be bit more non slip padding and kind of rail saver dbl down Velcro encloser at end of belt so it has a real tough time coming undone or un peeled Velcro which has not happened surprisingly to me but with a secondary wing leash attachment to pulls in waves will be more on my belt when adding my wing to it.Also with this style my board damage has been nill as the hook pivots very easily on belt surprisingly,but a good stout plastic or padded hook would be slick too and a good belt buckle is food for thought too.I like the Kaohi leash handle by rail saver very good (but could be a tad wider)for taking reasonable white water on the head to keep board separated from wing minimizing wing damage! Just a few thoughts  for winging leashes as the wings and foils get better by the major players there wing leashes to wrist are in the dark ages and in waves beware of shoulder issues,Keep it simple sailor👍
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New updated Board/Wing leash?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »
The best way I know to make your belt stay on is to use a reversing buckle (actually just a loop, but flat so the belt can't bunch. I see you're using a Da Kine Maniac hook, the short belt that generally comes with that is a perfect starting point. I just extend the belt with double-sided velcro so it fits my waist with a foot or so of wrap. Any pull on the belt is against to loop, so it has to be stout--stainless steel, not plastic.

Actually, the pull of the wing in breaking surf dwarfs anything I've seen from the wind. When I'm winging in sizable surf I connect the wing leash to the harness belt. Unfortunately, it's easier to get that tangled up in transitions, but if it keeps my shoulder from getting ripped off I'm OK with a little tangle.

I don't currently connect my board leash to the waist belt, but that might change if I switch to a reel and like it. the idea of having a single point of failure leaving me swimming without any pool toys is disconcerting, but I was the same or worse circumstance for the zillion years I downwinded on unlimited SUP boards. Then again, I got to take long swims a few times, so that isn't as reassuring as it might be.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 10:50:02 AM »
Is there a buy button somewhere? 

Lots of words and descriptions.  I know that DaKine Maniac Hook is hard to find. 

Pono - Your "Double Sided Velcro"?

Alternately I am going to buy this belt ($10 on Amazon) and see how it works with the Maniac hook. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081MX624Z/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NZMRI3W3IY9V

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
I really like that military quick release buckle, but how marine proof is it?.It might become a corroded lump in a couple months.

Maybe a nylon buckle spear fishing belt or a velcro thingy like Ponobill is a safer bet for salt water use.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »

Actually, the pull of the wing in breaking surf dwarfs anything I've seen from the wind. When I'm winging in sizable surf I connect the wing leash to the harness belt. Unfortunately, it's easier to get that tangled up in transitions, but if it keeps my shoulder from getting ripped off I'm OK with a little tangle.

I don't currently connect my board leash to the waist belt, but that might change if I switch to a reel and like it. the idea of having a single point of failure leaving me swimming without any pool toys is disconcerting, but I was the same or worse circumstance for the zillion years I downwinded on unlimited SUP boards. Then again, I got to take long swims a few times, so that isn't as reassuring as it might be.

Exactly Bill one of the messages I’m try to convey here,the apparent shortsightedness of the wing manufacturers of not making a new up to date wing leash that goes to your body not your wrist as said in waves you can down right put your shoulder/elbow in serious risk of screwing it up, almost happened to me.I just see all the new V1-V2-3 advancements and nothing in the wing leash area which sorely needs it especially for wave riding wingers! For the lakes and flat water winging the current wrist leash seems fine except in 30-35+mph.Just hoping someone makes a bitchen wing/board leash combo similar to what I have but upgraded professionally done,until then my current set up will be fine as soon as I hook my wing leash up to my waist in the waves forthcoming.Beasho that belt looks nice on Amazon but to put/ thread maniac hook on the belt webbing and buckle would have to be taken off then resewn back on after install maybe the other side comes off easy not sewn?Bottom line really surprised no company has made a real nice wing/board/harness hook waist belt specific to us wingers couple years in now already

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »
I really like that military quick release buckle, but how marine proof is it?.It might become a corroded lump in a couple months.

Agreed.. I have those connections on my paraglide harness and JUST HANGING IN MY HOUSE here by the ocean the clips corrode terribly.. Doubt it would last 5 days in the Caribbean Ocean salt.. Fresh water wingers could be great

Maybe a nylon buckle spear fishing belt or a velcro thingy like Ponobill is a safer bet for salt water use.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 12:56:28 PM »
Another nice video and review..Armstrong waist leash..I haven’t foiled in breaking surf as yet, but when I do this might be leash of choice
https://youtu.be/R3JQZCalddQ
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 05:20:02 PM »
Another nice video and review..Armstrong waist leash..I haven’t foiled in breaking surf as yet, but when I do this might be leash of choice
https://youtu.be/R3JQZCalddQ
Definitely a step in the right direction,but no frigging harness hook option😡back to the drawing board!If Armstrong made this with a harness hook option be awesome and secondary webbing loop for board leash attachment be pretty close to a home run,plus they are asking $100 for a waist leash with no harness hook option dunno about that one👀
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:25:36 PM by paddlur »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »
Is there a buy button somewhere? 

Lots of words and descriptions.  I know that DaKine Maniac Hook is hard to find. 

Pono - Your "Double Sided Velcro"?

Alternately I am going to buy this belt ($10 on Amazon) and see how it works with the Maniac hook. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081MX624Z/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NZMRI3W3IY9V

I have a double secret probation supplier. Ill check to see if there’s more when I get back to HR
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
$10 Amazon Belt with Maniac Hook. 

I will add 18" of Paracord and a Carabiner to attach the board to my waist.

The webbing is very thick.  Thicker than the webbing that came with my current Dakine Waist Harness (Vintage 20 year old Windsurfing harness).  No need to re-rig.  The Black Connector threads through so I just put the Maniac hook on.  1 minute job.

This is a good low profile and cheap solution.  I will report back on how long the buckle lasts.  Adding 2 stainless screws might keep it healthy for a long time.  Easier to travel with as well.  The quick release will be nice when hitting the shore and wanting to jettison the board to deal with the wing in the wind.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »
New life for the Maniac hooks. DaKine could grab whatever market the wing foil segment represents with about twenty minutes worth of R&D, or maybe a weeks worth of work if they wanted to own the sector for good. Three one for variations on how to belt on a maniac and leash to the wing. Add a clip for reels or a poop for board leash. Done.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 07:53:46 PM »

I tested the belt today.  That clasp lasted 20 seconds and popped.  It didn't break but just gave way, maybe from twisting.

I foiled back in and got my Dakine Waist Harness and sailed happily away.  I am not giving up but may need to more rigorously test the buckle.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:55:24 PM by Beasho »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 08:07:23 PM »
Team low tech.
Webbing and plastic clasp from Ace hardware. I've used this with a weight attached as my freediving belt for a few years. Took the weight off and added the hook. I don't attach any other leashes to it.
Helps if you're wearing a wetsuit or impact vest.

I started using an ozone waist leash recently for the wing. Haven't used the harness since the summer, as I don't find much need in the surf. But will probably combine the two at some point.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 02:29:40 PM »
New life for the Maniac hooks. DaKine could grab whatever market the wing foil segment represents with about twenty minutes worth of R&D, or maybe a weeks worth of work if they wanted to own the sector for good. Three one for variations on how to belt on a maniac and leash to the wing. Add a clip for reels or a poop for board leash. Done.
Ditto that’s what I don’t understand why one of these companies are not jumping on the opportunity as some more $ to be made

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 02:35:28 PM »

I tested the belt today.  That clasp lasted 20 seconds and popped.  It didn't break but just gave way, maybe from twisting.

I foiled back in and got my Dakine Waist Harness and sailed happily away.  I am not giving up but may need to more rigorously test the buckle.
Maybe for time being just get the Axis belt as the Velcro wrap is pretty heavy duty hook and loop and I’ve been using it close to a year now at 225# until someone comes out with state of the art simple winging belt with a harness hook,kinda hard winging on days like today with G of 35+ without a harness just makes winging more enjoyable with a harness to regroup/ relax a bit every so often IMO keep on trucking Beasho👍

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal