Author Topic: Axis gear advice needed, transitioning from kitefoiling to SUP foiling  (Read 4791 times)

matanshapira

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Goal
Learn SUP foiling in 1ft-2ft and then advance to 3ft waves, learn to pump back.

Background:
Kitefoiling
Very high level, very active riding style
Riding 1ft-4ft waves with no kite power
Riding with little power in the kite(small as possible)
Using Cloud IX P27 front wing (680mm span, 1400sqcm)
SUP (non foil) - Years back, rode a 7’6” (30” wide, 105L) - good riding level

Conditions
Israel - waves are small and not powerful most of the time.

I’d like to get a recommendation for 1 front wing for SUP foiling to start with (probably will add more later on for both disciplines) and a stabilizer (Axis only)

Which fuse? short?

Thanks!

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I use the 1020 on a short fuselage with 400 rear for my beginners and then they can add a 1000 front when they get good and want to go fast.
Another option is the 1060, same great low end but can go faster. Plus you can switch the front wing out for a 660 or 680 and kite it.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm gonna step you up a bit since already know how to fly a foil, and have some "good riding level" sup experience, so I'm assuming you already know how to drop into a wave on a sup, and also how to start trimming a foil once it's up to speed to get it to fly....and therefore recommend the 1000 front wing and 400 stab on their short fuse right off the bat. If this is too presumptive or optimistic of your experience  and/or abilities...then yes, the slower, liftier, more stable 1060 (or even 970 if you're a sub 200 lbs guy) would be a better choice.

Gonna go out on a limb, and just throw this out here...but if you feel real comfortable in your sup and especially your foil control capabilities...the 1050 w/ just about any of the 400 and larger tails...lifts way easier than expected (its a HA wing with less lift than a LA one), turns surprisingly well for its size, is fast, pumps incredibly, and is just super fun in really small to belly high surf.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Califoilia knows his stuff. Plus he sups and I only prone.

My opinion here. Especially if you’re just now buying into AXIS. Buy the black fuse and wings that fit the black fuse. Ignore all the red fuse stuff. It’ll be faster for use with your kite and will be more future proof.

matanshapira

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thank you all for your advice.
The way I understand it is:
1020 low aspect - slower,less glide,idea for an absolute beginner which I am not
1000 - high aspect, previous generation high performance,but i might not be there yet, but I may prefer to upgrade early than have a tough start. also it's previous generation and the current generation is the HPS black series, so in any case, why buy the previous generation?
1050-same as the above but next generation
1060-middle ground between the above options,sounds like the best fit as I am not really experienced with SUPfoiling but not a beginner on the other hand.
did I get it right?

for kiting l will probably go for the 760

is high aspect harder in takeoff, meaning, requires more speed, steeper/later takeoff?

If I will go for thr BSC 1060, is it the right size for 1-2ft weak waves of the mediterranean? (74kg,160 pounds) as Axis website says Medium+ waves

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My brother is selling a 760 and red ultrashort fuse.

There’s an AXIS full kit in the classifieds currently too.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
                                                                                             shallow
is high aspect harder in takeoff, meaning, requires more speed, steeper/later takeoff?

yes (corrected)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
                                                                                             shallow

yes (corrected)

Agree.  All things being the same, higher aspect will have higher stall speed.  If you don't have enough speed at takeoff and try to compensate by increasing angle of attack, you will just drop back down. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
                                                                                             shallow

yes (corrected)
Agree.  All things being the same, higher aspect will have higher stall speed.  If you don't have enough speed at takeoff and try to compensate by increasing angle of attack, you will just drop back down.
I think Hdip was speaking of a steeper wave and later takeoff with, and that it's more difficult to get them to speed fast enough on a shallower, slow wave. Just my take on it anyway...from what I look for, and how I takeoff with the HA wings compared to LA ones.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

matanshapira

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks, it's more clear now.
I'm not sure if I should go for 1060 or the 970(160 pounds, small waves). 970 is only 1500sqcm...

Also, I've been told that with my vast kitefoiling experience and preference for a loose ride I should go for ultrashort with 370, sounds realistic?

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis gear advice needed, transitioning from kitefoiling to SUP foiling
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »
I would advise you to get a secondhand 1020 and 920 if you can.
They are by far the easiest Axis foils especially to learn sup foiling.
Some people say they have no glide and you cannot pump them but that is nonsense.
They work very well in small and slow waves.

Perhaps the BSC foils are also user-friendly enough for you to learn to sup foil,  but there are very few user reports of them unfortunately

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis gear advice needed, transitioning from kitefoiling to SUP foiling
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
Thanks, it's more clear now.
I'm not sure if I should go for 1060 or the 970(160 pounds, small waves). 970 is only 1500sqcm...

Also, I've been told that with my vast kitefoiling experience and preference for a loose ride I should go for ultrashort with 370, sounds realistic?
"Preference for a loose ride" is not really the description I'd give the 1060 or 970 (curious if anyone's actually ridden the 970 yet).

Controllable looseness is more the 1050, 1000, 980, 900, or 860 if you really want to get "carvy"...all on an ultrashort fuse, and varying tails depending on how "loose" you want to be (from not so much to yeehaw....390, 400, 370, 420, 460).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal