Author Topic: AC 75 boats, flaps and footage - Unreal  (Read 8077 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AC 75 boats, flaps and footage - Unreal
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »
If anyone is interested, a heads up that the Prada Cup started  yesterday so these boats are racing for real now. Spectacular!

Viewing is geo restricted...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:29:49 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 02:03:56 PM »
It’s awesome.. and how good is the British boat going now..

It seems like they have been sand-bagging..  :)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 09:38:49 AM »
SF...  Are they back on again?  The last I was able to record* and take home was the abbreviated Xmas (New Years?) race?  Are there pre-finals? I thought they were not going at it again 'till like March?  Thanks.

Jim

*in the States, we get a goodly assortment of releases on Youtube. ...but they can be confusing.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
SF...  Are they back on again?  The last I was able to record* and take home was the abbreviated Xmas (New Years?) race?  Are there pre-finals? I thought they were not going at it again 'till like March?  Thanks.

Jim

*in the States, we get a goodly assortment of releases on Youtube. ...but they can be confusing.

Hi Jim - the Prada Cup (previously known as the Louis Vuitton Cup) is the event that selects the challenger who will go up against the current holder, Emirates Team New Zealand, for the America's Cup. There are three challengers, UK, Italy and US, and they are currently going through the round robin stages of the Prada Cup which started a couple of days ago, in Auckland. The America's Cup is March time IIRC.

Viewing rights have been sold worldwide so viewing is dependent upon your location, but I'm UK based which have it free to air on YouTube on the AC YouTube channel so a VPN to a UK IP might work (I'm no expert on such things!). I've heard Facebook is can also work. Best thing would be to checkout America's Cup website first or some Googling for more clandestine work arounds if you're geo locked or paywalled.

It's been great watching so far, even the light airs races yesterday when they were on and off the foils. Very tense as they only need 8ish knots to get foiling, so one moment you're doing 4 knots, 15 seconds later you're doing 30 knots (not an exaggeration!) so massive gaps can open and close very quickly. The apparent wind on these machines is insane...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 01:46:22 PM »
It looks like in the US, you can pay $150 to watch live on TV, remember there's a big time change. Or you can see yesterdays summaries on youtube.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
Thanks, Tom and SF....  As a cheap-old-fuc, it's Youtube for me.  I simply have the find the proper sequence.  I had the first rounds recorded (I love that four boats raced on the same day in heats)  Xmas threw me off because the recorded time was so short - 'till I saw it.  (I think I heard the comment about why no Jennikers? (sp?)

Even my—who would not walk across the street—really enjoyed the races, even without completely understanding.  I stood on a CG Cutter at an outer marker for one Cup race in Newport RI.  I gave my tickets away for later races. Jeez!

Btw - WHERE IS MY DAKAR?  ...these Am Cup guys have laid down the gauntlet.  Fuc the networks who overbid for crap like the Olympics, where 'Blindfolded target knife-throwing' recently bribed the OC reps from Bosnia and El Salvador.

Jim 

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 02:22:24 PM »
If you watched the previous races but none of the Prada Cup, there's quite a bit to catch up on!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:18 AM »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »
My friend, who is more tech savvy than I, watches it by going thru a VPN in New Zealand. I think he pays $35 for the VPN and watching is free for those in New Zealand. I think he uses surfshark.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »
A sailing friend just pinged me thinking I know everything about all things that foil.  I really only know SUP foils and specifically 1 brand. 

He said that NBC in the United States airs these races at night and he records them and watches the next day.  This would be a good poor man's option. 

If anybody else has any links or ideas please share. 

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 04:43:52 PM »
Interesting discussions on the foil rules and the changes INEOS has made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dccTjmkG9to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp-tdR7ys6Q

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 02:20:11 AM »
https://youtu.be/wCoWM7rn0Fk
If anyone is interested in getting some technical insights of these boats have a look at these guys channel. Got some really interesting stuff... Only their videos whose title starts with an 'E' are in English, so stick to those unless your Italian is up to it.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 07:32:32 AM »
Perhaps most already know... But, we in the States do not get a full replay of the AC finals on the America's Cup channel via YouTube.  I used it to record British TV series we did not get here, but had not used it in a long time.  I just logged in and 'relocated' to Copenhagen ...and NOW I can record the full race replay, rather than highlights, to watch at home (no cable access) using the Audials program that copies virtually any form of video or audio.

Jim

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »
What I enjoyed seeing was how it turned with one foil in the water versus two foils.  A skidding vs a carving turn.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 09:54:54 PM »
You can VPN to almost anywhere. For a while, Amazon wouldn't sell kindle books from the Amazon UK site if you lived in the USA, so I VPNed to London. They quit doing that finally. I never thought of doing that for video, but of course it would work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal