Author Topic: Maui trip in April/May - Where to wing foil?  (Read 4439 times)

m_the_foiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Maui trip in April/May - Where to wing foil?
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
I'm planning a trip in Maui at the end of April.
I am super excited to get to Maui after my last missed opportunity back in 2008. Looking forward to a fantastic time mixing wing foiling, surfing, snorkeling and some hiking.

I'm a beginner wing foiler able to foil in a straight line and starting to learn foiling maneuvers. I've mostly practiced on lakes, so chops but no real waves. I'll be traveling with my family who will mostly be interested in snorkeling and sup/body boarding.

I figure I would reach out to the community to get some pointers in addition to my research.

• From what I gathered the north shore is the best place to get some regular good onshore wind. Are there good spot for beginners on the north shore?
  • Are there wing foiling areas on the west shore (around Lahiana)?
  • Are there wing foiling areas on the south shore (around Kihei)?
  • A silly question, but how is traffic to go from west shore to north shore? How is parking on the north shore?
  • Are there things I should really know before getting in the water besides obvious safety considerations? I'm thinking of maybe local regulations or customs related to winging or water sports in general.

Cabrinha Code 65L
F4 GP1000
F-One Strike/Swing 3.5, 4.1, 5.0, 7.0

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maui trip in April/May - Where to wing foil?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
The beginner spot on Maui is the Kahului harbor. From the westside it'll be an hour drive in the summer with all the visitors back. There is plenty of parking but no bathrooms or showers. The rules are simple, have plenty love and aloha for everyone else and when there are ships in the harbor, stay inside the red markers.

If you are new to the sport, an impact vest and a helmet will save you a visit to the ER. Might want to consider shin guards and knee pads to save your legs.

You can rent foil boards from Hi-Tech sports and Kanaha Kai

You can rent wings from Kanaha Kai (Air Rush), Second Wind (Doutone) and Adventure sports.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:47:44 PM »
Hook up with alan Cadiz and get a lesson, but first, go to his Patreon page and watch all his videos. Master what the shows there, then take a lesson or two and you'll be godlike. and once you get to Maui shoot me a PM. I'll be there by then and I'll be glad to hook you up with where to go and what to do.

Westside, no--except maybe some foil surfing at Guardrails. Southside--you bet, when the wind is right. My favorite place for long, long, long reaches where when you turn around the first thing that comes to your mind is "I am so fucked if this wind dies." But it won't.

North shore its Ka'a, the Harbor (Pilau water and swirly wind but it's OK when everyplace else is too scary.), and a million places to wingfoil that don't really have names. That's the cool thing about wingfoiling--if you can clear your foil and there's wind, it's gold. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:53:33 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 07:48:55 PM »
Take a lesson from Alan Cadiz!

m_the_foiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
Hook up with alan Cadiz and get a lesson, but first, go to his Patreon page and watch all his videos. Master what the shows there, then take a lesson or two and you'll be godlike. and once you get to Maui shoot me a PM. I'll be there by then and I'll be glad to hook you up with where to go and what to do.

Westside, no--except maybe some foil surfing at Guardrails. Southside--you bet, when the wind is right. My favorite place for long, long, long reaches where when you turn around the first thing that comes to your mind is "I am so fucked if this wind dies." But it won't.

North shore its Ka'a, the Harbor (Pilau water and swirly wind but it's OK when everyplace else is too scary.), and a million places to wingfoil that don't really have names. That's the cool thing about wingfoiling--if you can clear your foil and there's wind, it's gold.

These are all good suggestions. I had started watching Alan's videos on YouTube a while back. I've watched his videos and Patreon and now I know what to work on. Thanks for the suggestion.
I've also contacted his school to see what lessons I could arrange when I get there.
Final dates: May 8 to 23
Cabrinha Code 65L
F4 GP1000

m_the_foiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
Take a lesson from Alan Cadiz!

I definitely will... and maybe more than one :-). Thanks for the suggestion.
Cabrinha Code 65L
F4 GP1000

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal