Author Topic: Help!! Gear almost up for sale!  (Read 14287 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help!! Gear almost up for sale!
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »
Looking forward to the 1150/460 and 75 cm mast! I got the order in before the 3-4 month delay. Hopefully will be here soon!

I haven’t even really considered turning because I wanted the weak side so bad. It’s not perfect but learned how to pump out of the water weak side.

I’m 6’1” and 185 lbs using the 5’3” 110L Gong HIPE and liking it!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2021, 10:03:42 PM »
Update on my poor 6M F-one that I dove through. I took it to airtime, they looked it over, and pointed out a minor problem that I somehow hadn't noticed--the leading edge was busted almost completely in half--just about an inch of it left intact. Like someone took a hot dog and snapped it in half. Not worth fixing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »
Bummer on the wing!!

Did another down winger today and made my first jibe a flew toe side (twisted). The weak side still needs lots of work but can fly both directions now!! So fun!!

The down wingers are key for lots of attempts for newbies.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 05:35:49 PM »
Update on my poor 6M F-one that I dove through. I took it to airtime, they looked it over, and pointed out a minor problem that I somehow hadn't noticed--the leading edge was busted almost completely in half--just about an inch of it left intact. Like someone took a hot dog and snapped it in half. Not worth fixing.
That is weird I ripped my Wasp in half and got it fixed good as new. Can't really see it in the pic but the tear went up the canopy for 30cm as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
Oh, they can fix it, but it's a year and a half old, and the bill would be $400+. I have a full quiver of F-one Strikes already paid for, so if I sold the hobo fleet I'd have to find someone that wants to pay 400+ for a repaired and somewhat thrashed wing. If I was desperate for a 6M I'd have it fixed, but as it is, nah. If I were sticking around Hood Rver for the next two months it might make some sense, except this is today (oops, the top line is 40mph) and a 6M isn't exactly the call for springtime in the Hood. Just about the time you get to the other side of the river the wind graph goes vert:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:21:05 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
Loved this thread.

I think this sport really rewards you if you put the time in. What I mean is you can put hours into prone Surfing, Golf, Tennis etc and still look like a complete novice. Not so with winging. Time on the foil makes everything progressively easier. I've loved every little break through and havnt been frustrated when I've not cracked something. Winging has got me in the water with a smile on my face in the middle of a super cold winter with 25+ knots of freezing NE Wind in the UK.  :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:25:11 AM by SurfIC »
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »
Yes!! The key for me was to be patient (learned a lot from this thread) and to commit to the weakside.  Now I’m flying weak side and going both directions. A smile on my face for sure!!

Thinking about buying some weight lifting gloves with a hook or water ski gloves called Clinchers. My arm pump was worse than when I raced motocross. Thoughts on those?

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2021, 12:10:28 PM »
Break through day today!! First park and play with no walk of shame. Lighter winds called for the 9 m Gong wing, 5’3” HIPE and Axis 1150/460. Weak side is getting better and can get out of the water and fly. Now if I could just get those pesky turns down...

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2021, 12:12:00 PM »
I am not sure how much wind this was... not a lot. Glad to have the 9 m Gong today!!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2021, 09:35:36 PM »
Looks pretty heavy, I mean it’s blown the water vertical right?

Glad you’re getting it man. I had a good session today too. What a sport.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2021, 08:50:18 AM »
Break through day today!! First park and play with no walk of shame. Lighter winds called for the 9 m Gong wing, 5’3” HIPE and Axis 1150/460. Weak side is getting better and can get out of the water and fly. Now if I could just get those pesky turns down...

Rad! Glad you didn't sell the gear, feels so good when you get it -- the frustrations in the learning stage is made up for by the repeated BDEs.  (Best Days Ever)

Turning....my advice is to just turn from your dominant foot to toeside to start.  Point downwind and just float along with minimal wind in the wing.  After a while you realize "this is easy, how about I try bearing off a little the other way" (without switching feet). There, now you've turned.   Then engage the wing a little while riding toeside (the front of your body facing the wind) -- it will feel awkward, you have to twist, and you can really only get half the wind power, but enough to stay up on foil, going partially downwind.  Then turn back to heelside.  Now you've done an S-turn -- the base move for wave riding.  So do that 1,000 more times until it's fluid and you're ready for the surf.  :-)

For me and others who did kitesurf first, the most common gybes are heelside to toeside, then a foot switch after the turn, or riding heelside and then before the turn footswitch to toeside, then turn and come out heelside.  I've never mastered the flying footswitch during the turn, in kitefoiling or wingfoiling -- and as cool as it would be to figure out, you can get away with out.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
That makes sense for the progression to turn. Thanks!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »
Tried the above technique to turn downwind and made a turn and rode toeside for a while! Even tried a jump and also hit a submerged island. So fun!

WingTime

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 01:58:16 AM »
I am not sure how much wind this was... not a lot. Glad to have the 9 m Gong today!!

Cool post
Is the Gong 9m easy to manage ?
Waiting for other vendors  to come out with bigger wings for light summer breezes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal