Author Topic: Help!! Gear almost up for sale!  (Read 14288 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help!! Gear almost up for sale!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 06:18:02 PM »
Great advice and tips!! I am on a Bongo board now and using a weak stance (goofy) facing forward, got a small skateboard from a friend to go goofy. I will use the punch down with my left arm if the tip starts to catch. Also, go down wind a little more on my weak side initially to try and pump off the water (my angle is too high into the wind to create enough speed). My wing technique could be another variable to this.

As far as weak side or goofy offset stance, should they be at the rails and where in relation to the foil box?

I’m beginning to see that with no wind experience that weakside might be tougher than I anticipated (can fly strong). The encouragement and information helps me break down the next steps. I competed on the sit down hydrofoil and currently have the record for biggest air at 64 frames. I learned to do full twisting flips, front flips, combos, and  mobes regular and switch. That said, weak side has been very humbling!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:25:49 PM by Sam the Surfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 07:36:07 PM »
Great post don'tsink, and brave. Anyone that doesn't think wingfoiling is stupid hard has my respect unless they're a fucking liar. It totally kicks my ass and kicked the asses of some of the best all-around water sports people I know. That's the best thing about it in my opinion. It's stupidly hard and crazy fun, and you have to work at it as often as you can to be even OK at it. Some people are great right away--guess what. They were already great at things that were closely related. the first time I saw Chris Anderson casually doing amazing wing foiling I thought jeez, I suck at this, look what he can do. But he's been amazing doing insane shit in high wind for more than 30 years.

Today I dove into my 6M f-one wing at max speed and ex-fucking-sploded it. I actually thought someone had fired a gun. BOOM! I got to paddle in from the middle of Sail Bay with the corpse of my wing wadded up under my knees. I've been doing this for two years and I still do silly shit like that. It's hard, but it's SO much fun.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:38:45 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 07:43:45 PM »
This thread is solid and I agree with it all.

Winging is easy, to go straight, on your good side. But to put all the parts together takes time and patience. It’s also physically demanding. We had an amazing kiteboarder (and formerly near Olympian) go out for his 4th day and declare it physically demanding. Made me feel better. Your first weeks winging are hard as hell. But it is silly fun and I’m addicted.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 09:44:44 AM »
I have always said "Give it 10 sessions before you complain about anything."

Imagine a kid coming to you after 3 attempts at surfing and complaining about not being able to turn.  Kids don't do that.  They go back and back and back and back . . .

I have 35 years of windsurfing experience, 20 of surfing, 12 of SUP and 4 years SURF foiling in the heaviest sh-t anyone is going out in.

I am 30 sessions in. 

The wind in Half Moon Bay, CA is terrible.  The harbor has buildings that break it up but everyone shows up when its blowing 12 mph.  Its cold, the water is gross but I drag myself to the Harbor and get on the Wing-Ding gear like taking my medicine.  Just get another session.  Sometimes I am not even happy about it. 

I am giving myself 50 sessions to be able to jibe without coming off the foil.   

How long did it take to do a planing Windsurf jibe?  5 years minimum to be really clean and come out with speed. 

PS: The other day there was a dad with a GoPro sitting on a SUP filming his kid (named Kai Murrell) jumping 10 feet in the air.  I came by and tried to get in the movie.  I jumped and maybe got the foil 6 inches out of the water crashed down and bent my ankle.  I won't be trying that again soon. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:12:59 AM by Beasho »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 04:22:52 PM »
I think experience with windsurf transitions may actually work against you at first when you ty jibing on the foil.  On a windsurfer maintaining speed with chop, etc means that everything has to go pretty quickly.  That is much less of an issue on the foil.  It can be a leisurely affair (on the right gear). 

It is great practice to turn to downwind, after you start the turn let go of the back handle, put that newly released hand on the leading edge handle and then let go with the front hand.  Don't pump the board.  Just hang out and make little adjustments to trim it and see how long you stay up before crash-down.  It is surprisingly long!  Do that a few times (never going further than just past downwind) with no intention of completion.  Then try the same thing but when you get to facing downwind on the handle switch your front hands on the leading edge handle.  Hold that position trimming until you drop.  Then, finally, from that new hand on the leading edge cross your hands over to the other side and give a little wing pump (still just past downwind).  Run that out until you touch down, still just going a little past downwind.  Get a feel for that and you are on your way to riding toeside. 

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:53 PM »
Ok, working on the Bongo board weak side (goofy for me). Things I’ve learned from this thread to work on:

1) Don’t give up on the weak side and it will take time. Incremental steps. (Walked me off the ledge)

2) punch down with my left arm if the tips goes down and keep my right arm up

3) my angle of attack is to strong weak side and need to drift a little down wind to get power and fly

4) continue to try over 10 sessions and then make adjustments

5) try toe side going downwind. It is easier but also less efficient

6) Pono- made me laugh and appreciate the story of the exploded wing

7) enjoy the pain stakingly slow process that is the ‘weak side’

8) zero wind experience and a lot of foil experience (sit down)  can dilute what one thinks is possible 😁

I hope to go weak side behind the boat if we can get it in the water (ice and or low lake level). Maybe even a wing attempt on Sunday...

Keep the comments coming. All of this is critical to learn!! Incremental steps and encouragement!!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 02:57:53 AM »
What is your weight, Sam?

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 05:16:01 AM »
I am 6’ 1” (used to be 6’2” 😁) and 185 lb. wetsuit and such in cold water closer to 195-200 lb.

I ordered an Axis 1150 with 460 rear, 75 cm mast and standard fuse. Am on MFC 1600 and Kings 36” wing set ups.

I river foil surf, wake surf, wing, and go to ocean when I can

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 06:26:56 AM »
I have never used the 1150 but 1600 might be a bit hard at first.  The Axis 1020 made learning so much easier for me.  Extra lift and sustain at slow speeds is super helpful for a new foiler.  Gear can be the difference between smooth progress and constant struggle.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 05:30:20 PM »
Great point on gear. I didn’t see the 1020 on the website. I did see a 1120...

The 1150 looks like it is 3 weeks out.

If the wind picks up will try winging again with all these tips and encouragement am looking forward to it. Might put the boat in 38 degree water and go weak side.

Appreciate the support and laughs!

Ben

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »
Got out behind the boat and was able to fly weak side (goofy for me)!! Wasn’t able to drop the handle and pump and was able to feel a lot of control when I cut out and had line tension in the rope. This should help translate to the wing... I hope!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
The 1150 is easy money. 1020 is even easier but wont glide. As long as you have a little power it will lift you but when the power stops it comes down. I can’t pump for shit but I pumped my 1150 for a good 200 yards a few days ago.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 04:03:01 PM »
Break through day!! We did a down winger which made all the difference in the world. I could fall and. It worry about the walk of shame. About 1/2 through the run I started to fly weak side and by the end learned how to more efficiently pump up on the weak side. I am not even close to turning... yet.

Thank you for this thread and the tips. Flying both ways makes a big difference. I ordered a 75 cm mast with the Axis 1150 and 460 rear. My current mast is 25” and I breached and bailed a lot!!

Who knew what a difference a down winger makes!!

Ben

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2021, 08:29:19 PM »
Well done! These threads help a lot of folks. I think we all think of tossing it in sometimes. Seeing the breakthroughs helps keep at it.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 07:14:22 AM »
That 1150 set up will be a game changer for you. Soon you get the jibes and even tacks.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal