Author Topic: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19  (Read 15103 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
I have a really hard time understanding people who fight against wearing masks and the "anti' vaccination" groups. There was a guy on this site a while ago talking about our rights and how we shouldn't have to wear masks. He went so far as to lie about having a medical condition to try and avoid wearing a mask in a store. I mean come on. For fucks sake, if you don't want to wear a mask or get a vaccine for yourself, then at least show some compassion and do it for others.

And just to be clear, the person I'm referencing above is not you jpeter.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »
Yesterday on my way to go foil I drove by a group of people at the intersection of Haleakala Highway and Hana Highway who had signs opposing vaccine passports and calling masks "The newest Tyranny".

There's a lot of tyranny in the world. I have to wonder how sheltered and privileged a person's life needs to be to consider a mask mandate to be tyranny.

Covering genitals--the new tyranny. Requiring driver's licenses--the new tyranny. They won't let me take a dump in the aisles at Safeway--tyrants!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2021, 11:13:24 AM »
Both my parents are in their 70s and both had cancer.

Both my dad and my former mother in law have anxiety.

The stress of the fear mongering, lockdowns, and social isolation put them both in the hospital Last summer.  They both had strokes within a few weeks of each other.  My dad was in for three weeks had a bleeding ulcer, kidney failure and almost bled out.

So my real life lived experience is that lockdowns and spreading fear are deadly dangerous and cause harm.  Also nobody I know has tested positive for covid, nor has anyone I know died from it.  So my real world experience is that covid poses zero threat.  All the people I know who have the vaccine have reported side effects.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2021, 11:48:15 AM »
Consider yourself lucky--but not that unusual. In a country of 330 million people, 560,000 people dying from Covid means lots of people will not directly know people who died. I knew one person who died of Covid--young, healthy, fit, and now dead. It's a little more unusual that of the 33 million people in the USA that have had Covid, you don't know any of them. I know a few dozen people who have had it, most of them have long-term effects.

It's hard to prove a negative, but looking at the hospitalization trends prior to vaccines being available, and the excess death rate, we dodged a nasty bullet. Places where hospitals were overwhelmed are graphic examples of what can and did happen. If you don't live in one of those places the threat seems distant.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »
My best friend, his wife and their kids got COVID about 6 months ago. He and his wife still cannot taste or smell. Their kids didn't loose their taste or ability to smell. My wife is a nurse and had COVID patients. It didn't phase her because she's had to deal with TB patients in isolation on a weekly basis for more than 25 years. Gown up, face mask, face shield, gloves, even filtered air system occasionally for highly infectious patients. When she leaves the room, it all comes off and goes in the trash. Repeat that 9 to 10 times a shift.
A lot of her COVID patients had lost digits, organ failure and a number of other life changing results. She said she's never had a flu patient with anywhere near that kind of life long damage. Everyone I ask if they've been vaccinated and did they have and lasting side effects, all have said they're fine. My whole family has had the vaccination and they are all fine. Even my parents at almost 90 years old.
Get vaccinated. It's free.     
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 03:22:31 PM »
Anecdotal evidence is enough for a lot of people who never take the time to understand that devastating public health crises are never evenly distributed. I’m old enough to remember Polio, which was more of an equal opportunity killer and crippler. Hundreds of thousands of people got it and died, or spent their life in an iron lung, or walked with braces and crutches for their life. People kept their kids inside for the entire summer. People were thrilled to have a vaccine. Everyone wanted it. I got both the
Salk and Sabine vaccines in school, sitting at my desk. No parental consent, no anti-vaxxers except the Christian Scientists who were universally considered whackjobs.

Despite all that I only knew one person who had polio, and for him the result was minor facial paralysis. If you don’t work in the field, or don’t happen to be in a location with overwhelmed medical staff, people just wont see that much—until they do, and then they’ll want immediate care regardless of the circumstances.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2021, 06:35:09 PM »
All of our individual circumstances will be different. Would be a pretty boring existence if this wasn't the case. I think however, there comes a time when we need to look beyond our own experience, and take into account what we need to do for the greater good. And in my opinion, a global pandemic qualifies as one of these times.

I'm a pretty healthy guy. I'm 68 years old but generally pretty fit and don't have any of the conditions that Covid seems to target. I always felt that if I got Covid I would be O.K., although admittedly this thinking was before the variants hit. But I wore a mask and got vaccinated because even though I thought I'd be O.K., I know I would have felt terrible if I got Covid and passed it on to someone else. That was a chance I wasn't willing to take. And quite frankly, and with all due respect, in my view to do otherwise is nothing short of selfish. Because in a pandemic, our individual choices and actions can have a devastating effect on others.

As for personal experience, for the longest time I didn't know anyone who had Covid. Then I had a friend get it who had no symptoms. I also have family in India, and my cousin's husband got quite sick with Covid (but is recovering), and my second cousin's uncle, who had diabetes, got Covid and died ten days later. I also know a couple of others who had contracted the disease, again without serious consequences.

But the most telling example I can give comes from a young woman who is a friend of ours and lives in Portugal. At one point Portugal was hit terribly hard with Covid. I believe for a time they were one of the worst areas in the world. This young woman's grandparents both got Covid. They were taken to the hospital in an ambulance but couldn't get inside the hospital. I don't remember how many days their treatment lasted, but the entirety of their treatment took place in the hospital parking lot in the back of the ambulance. When we expressed shock at this, our friend said it was actually a good thing, because it was well known that if you went into the hospital with Covid, the only way you were coming out was in a pine box.

During that same video chat, my wife asked this young woman if there were rallies in Portugal against masks and if there were anti vaccination groups. I will never forget her reply. She said "No." She said that there was so much Covid in Portugal, that "if you don't know someone..." and here I thought she was going to say "if you don't know someone who has had Covid...". But this wasn't what she said. What she said was "if you don't know someone who has died from Covid then you know someone who knows someone else who has died from Covid". Pretty frightening.

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
As a kid, there was a park surrounding our local 'TB San' we would play in while some were kept in an Iron Lung fighting tuberculosis. I played on ..because it didn't affect me. Nobody I knew had it.  As an adult, I would be much more cautious if tuberculosis seemed to be rampant as Covid. I see Spring Breakers, anti-vaxers, etc, and scratch my head? 

The country went bug c'hit on 911 ...we watched it on TV in our shop. Thank god they didn't show the jumpers. It was horrifying... 2,977 died that day.

We have had 34,000,000 (as in million) cases of COVID in the US alone... 600,000 deaths and people are still saying "It hasn't affected me."  The—prospect of—the shortage of toilet paper or choir practice being called off seems to have been a cause of larger concern to some. 

I got an email about two weeks ago from a young fellow in India who did contract paintings for us two decades ago. His mother had died two days prior ...and he had it.  He has not replied to my offer of what help I could be from here—he may never. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2021, 02:15:11 AM »
There are still 700 people a day dying here in the US.  Covid isn't done.  It is most likely to become endemic.  If you are fortunate enough not to have been infected, know someone who has been infected or know someone who has died from this, you still have plenty of time.  This will be around and how well we do as individuals and as a society and world depends on vaccination.  We have these vaccines that are easily tolerated and super effective.  The resistance to that is/has been mind boggling.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2021, 12:13:21 PM »
Noone who was here in NYC during Spring '20 discounts the deadly seriousness of Covid.

It killed my father and 47/200 in the highbrow assisted living facility in which he lived. It quickly killed a healthy 24 YO fitness buff who worked in the same office as me.
I know a few people who were excellent, driven professionals who are long-hauling and nowhere near their former selves. I brought pizzas to the hospital nearby me here in Brooklyn and was horrified.

Few here resist being vaccinated, and ive heard of few problems, but for occasional flu-like symptoms for a short time.

New Yorkers thank God for the vaccine.

And Covid is not over. It's brewing all over the world. It behooves us to attend. Read about the coincident fungal infections emerging in India. The fungus likes the eyes. Eye removal can be the last hope for survival. It's infected thousands and unfettered so far.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2021, 09:39:14 AM »
CV-19 will definitely become/is endemic. What is the argument that it would not? The only question is the severity of the attenuated version. It is currently the 4th most common respiratory virus circulating in the globe and it could stay at that ranking and bump back to the top for years. The severity of it will determine if it is vaccine worthy in coming years, right now it is vaccine worthy as it can clip you pretty hard.

It is rampant in my community right now. 50% of people are vaccinated, but I know at least 20 people who have it as I type this. Literally within a week I went from "its over" to "everyone has it". Most people had minor colds, some had fevers for a few days. This is the first time I have personally known more than 1 person with it. One lady (one of my friends mother) is going to die in the next couple of days. No surprise in that she has pretty much all the comorbidities you don't want to have with CV, but still sad.

What I think the "science" needs to determine is how well did any of the NPIs work? Why did we change the playbook from 200 years of study of infectious disease over 2 months in 2020? They have determined that less than 10% of the infected can spread the disease, thus the exponential spread model is not exactly correct. We just saw the huge spike in cases in India and the rise and fall was so steep, that there is no way it could have spread that fast from 10% of carriers making contact. The only reason I can determine the curve has a gaussian profile is timing of the reporting and hours in the day to test people. Uruguay and the supposed model compliant society of Taiwan also just experienced their big spike in cases.

We keep hearing things like "we let our guard down" and there were "unsanctioned events", but maybe human interaction is far less important in the spread that we think. Why do meat packing plants and nursing homes get outbreaks, while airplanes and dentists offices never have them? Everyone is wearing masks in those places. How does a rural area get sudden spread without large parties or events, when only 10% of people with the illness spread it? The math can't keep up for just interpersonal contact within 6'.

My mind keeps going to fecal aerosols, but clearly the tiny aerosols can hang in the air for a long time. Maybe the "contact tracing" is just not effective enough to ever really point out any correlation.

My family was impacted far, far more by the NPIs than the CV19. I will remain pretty steadfast that had we treated 2020 as a very bad flu season without the myopic draconian measures the excess deaths could have been less (still more than normal), but we could have cut out missed cancers, failure to thrive, obesity and long term mental health.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal