Author Topic: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19  (Read 15102 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 09:37:03 AM »
People believe they have superior knowledge. Especially the truly stupid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 10:08:30 AM »
What about down the line?  I hear that and again, we didn’t know what would happen with those vaccines we took as kids.  I know I have a hefty scar from my smallpox, so my modeling career is down the tubes.

A lyric snip from an old Tragically Hip song, "the start of enough".  Love that.  That is what these vaccines are for us.  The start of enough.  The beginning of our fight back but not an answer simply by their existence.  If it works, how well it works, depends entirely on participation.  Less sick people, less transmission, less chance for more problematic mutations.  Necessary now, and possibly regularly as we go forward.  We are lucky to have these. 

The song is appropriately, Vaccination Scar.  Headmount, I know that you enjoy a well written description. 

This tear on your bare shoulder
This little silver boulder
This slowly falling star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaXJc_EhPg

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:14:39 AM by Admin »

slsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »
2nd pfizer yestd. Feel sick, bad nights sleep taking it easy today. Looking forward to better times and some sup/surf travel, yeeeha!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »
Felt sick all yesterday. All my joint ached. Slept great last night. Paddled 4 miles this morning. Just took it easy.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 07:08:56 PM »
Pfizer 2 yesterday. Only complaint was that it took 45 mins instead of 6 this time. Sign said they had vaccinated >15,000 in prior 24 hrs. Impressive operation. NY just opened to 30yo and up, and opens next week to all adults. California too. Eager for my daughters to be eligible.

Best course now is for as many of us to get vaxed as quickly as possible, and "us" needs to consider the rest of the world. With Brazil going full petri dish who knows what variants they can produce. Generosity with our resources and vaccine would benefit us.

Israel has been quickest to vax the most, and it's been good for them--bc of this, they have best data on vax issues. Importantly also, they collect data (we are just getting our data collection capabilities up to speed, finally).

I was happy with this: 
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/pfizer-says-its-covid-vaccine-safe-91-effective-up-to-6-months-after-2nd-dose/
Then this printed: 
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/coronavirus/1617185858-antibody-levels-drop-sharply-after-3-months-of-second-vaccine-jab-israeli-study

Net, weve got lots to learn about these viruses.

There is a story where the vax slows spread/mutations, virus burns out, and treatments improve sufficient to allow normalcy. Jeeze I hope that's our story.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 08:38:06 AM »
Daily vaccinations have peaked I believe earlier this week. Even though it is now available for anyone who wants one, the demand is waning. I talked to my pharmacist buddy last weekend. I said "We can't be more than 1 week from having no demand for this vaccine, right?" He disagreed and was seeing such strong numbers through the little vaccination clinics his pharmacy was running, that he thought his gravy train was going for another month. He texted yesterday and told me I was dead on and that vacc appointments fell off the table on Wed this week. He went from full bookings to 50% utilization, and cancelled weekend clinics. Public clinics cannot find enough arms to poke either.

Again the "public health" people have failed to understand human nature. If they said "GET YOUR VACCINE AND GO BACK TO NORMAL", vaccine demand would stay elevated. The people I know who don't have the vax are all the same, none of them are political, or science'y reasons; they are all "What is in it for me?". The pundits are saying things like "we need to increase access to vaccines, etc" The access thing is in the rearview mirror. They need to increase demand, if we are following the carrot and stick methodology the stick (fear) people have the vax, we need to make the carrot more enticing.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 10:23:21 AM »
I have a friend that explained to me that he is not going to get the vaccine because he knows his natural immune system will take care of it and then he'll have natural antibodies that he can pass on to others which is the only way we will reach herd immunity.
You just can't argue with that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
No, there's no point in arguing with such potent stupidity. I do wonder how he intends to pass on his "natural immunity". Blood transfusions?

Yes, it appears no one in public health has the least bit of marketing sensibility--why would they? They work in an absolute monopoly. Monopolies suck at marketing.

There has been a fiendish element of this pandemic that plays out in vaccination as well--until the hospitals get overwhelmed its old people who die of it. Some of the comments I've heard from younger people are bloodcurdling. Like dismissing their mother's death from Covid because she was "circling the drain anyway."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2021, 07:00:27 AM »
In one fell swoop the CDC ended mask mandates. Allowing individual areas to determine if they are required. WA and OR have both ended their mask mandates "for vaccinated people". Which of course should have been the direction from the outset of vaccinations. There would be a lot more vaccinated people had they done this.

I just spent 10 minutes on Facebook (terrible) and 90% of the responses I see to the news story is: "I'm still wearing my mask as I don't trust other people. I follow the science. I am protecting the vulnerable!"

I can't get my head around it. There is 4 solid months of vaccination data available that show they are working really well, and that vaccinated people don't spread any disease. Masks have become some kind of religious dogma for people. I imagine that the news cycle will pivot towards how good the vaccines are now that CDC has finally got this message out and the mask weirdos will calm down. But maybe not, for many people there is no better feeling than smug pretend martyrdom.

Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »
Stupid in every way. I have no problem picturing the ivory tower conference room discussions and political ass-kissing that drives these decisions. "You don't need a mask if you're vaccinated" is the most obvious marketing AND public health approach, and they've squandered that. Boneheads.

And yes, when I drive through Paia I see nearly everyone wearing masks outdoors. Once people get used to something they just do it. The funniest sight I saw recently was a nicely put together young lady wearing a microscopic bikini and a mask. The mask had at least three times as much cloth as the entire bikini (no, I didn't measure, just a careful estimate). Walking around fundamentally naked wearing a mask is quite an interesting fashion choice.

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
I just have trouble believing that mask wearing accomplishes very much.  For Dr's and nurses wearing them properly and using the correct masks,  yes I can believe.  For the average person wearing a mask that doesn't fit tight, is made of cloth, and gets washed once a week, not so much.  I guess it prevents someone from sneezing on you.

I was exposed to covid for 3 days, no mask, due to my son having it. We shipped him back to his bio dads house where everyone was sick once we knew what was happening.   I Never caught it.

I'm not an anti-vaxer, getting my 2nd shingles shot monday.  But still have not done the covid shot.  I'm on the fence.
JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
A vaccine against a highly contagious, potentially fatal disease is available that is astonishingly effective, all but eliminates the potential for you to spread the disease to people you care about, with no significant side effects for healthy people--and you choose not to get it. But you vaccinate against Shingles--a potential source of extreme discomfort but not life-threatening, only contagious by direct contact with fluid from the sores to people who have never had chickenpox and are not vaccinated against it. What keeps you on the fence?

The efficacy of masks has now been extensively studied and demonstrated. No, they are not as effective as a properly fitted respirator--they aren't a talisman, or a political statement, just a tool. People wandering about with a filthy mask and their nose uncovered look as stupid as someone with their pants under their dick. That doesn't make a mask ineffective for you unless you choose to do the same thing.

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »
:)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2021, 03:17:00 PM »
I chose Moderna. Am 73. Have had both shots I choose to wear a mask. Georgia is an interesting
place to observe a wide variety of responses and behaviors..

Am not exercising my open carry rights..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
A vaccine against a highly contagious, potentially fatal disease is available that is astonishingly effective, all but eliminates the potential for you to spread the disease to people you care about, with no significant side effects for healthy people--and you choose not to get it. But you vaccinate against Shingles--a potential source of extreme discomfort but not life-threatening, only contagious by direct contact with fluid from the sores to people who have never had chickenpox and are not vaccinated against it. What keeps you on the fence?

The efficacy of masks has now been extensively studied and demonstrated. No, they are not as effective as a properly fitted respirator--they aren't a talisman, or a political statement, just a tool. People wandering about with a filthy mask and their nose uncovered look as stupid as someone with their pants under their dick. That doesn't make a mask ineffective for you unless you choose to do the same thing.

I had a Hernia operation 2 months ago and the doc said no covid shot for a while.  I still put the shingles vaccine at a higher priority FOR ME.  Now that the state of Hawaii is talking about letting folks in without a test if vaccinated,  I will likely get the shot if they indeed change the rules. 
JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal