Author Topic: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19  (Read 15111 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
I played basketball last night and talked to our local basketball coach/P.E. Teacher. She basically lifts weights and runs like a border collie, probably hasn't had candy bar in 15 years. I would say her body fat percentage is basically zero. She got the same vaccine and passed completely out the next day. Had to get on an EKG machine, etc.

I wonder if people who metabolize better have rougher outcomes with the vaccine?

What was her age?

I work with a guy who is a fit 30 year old.  Plays hockey regularly and was an aspiring near pro level player (10 years ago).  He got the 1 shot J&J Vaccine on Weds.  He was knocked OUT the following day.  24 hours of flu-like symptoms down for the count.  Couldn't even e-mail. 

The theory is it hits the younger harder (truth or not).  I would suggest that if older people are NOT impacted as much its because their systems have seen the offender before, in some related form.   

The overarching evidence is that this virus doesn't kill 90% to 99% of the people it infects because our immune systems know how to deal with it.  The only way to get to 99.99% survival however is to get the darn vaccine.  I am amazed by the 'older' people that are rebelling against vaccination.

She is early 30s, was a D1 basketball player and if you have to guard her would swear she still is.

I ran into my pharmacist in the bar on Saturday night and gave him a bitch slap for how sick it made me. He had 2 theories, the one above about younger peoples immune system being more active with a new virus introduced and the other being that I already had CV-19 and somehow that caused it. He told me anecdotally, that he heard more reaction to the first shot from people who had the virus before.  He bought be a couple rounds for pain an sufferin'.

Anyone see that Krispy Kreme will give you a donut every day for a year if you show your vaccine card? https://www.krispykreme.com/promos/vaccineoffer

Big Pharma and Big Donut are teaming up to make sure Americans never get off sugar and pills.
Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
It's starting to look like people who have actually HAD Covid who get the vaccine may, in about 2-3% of the cases, have a strong immune reaction to the vaccine. The bad news--you'll be sick for a day or two. the good news, you probably won't have it again for quite a while--maybe never. The early data is exactly that--early. Most docs think the strong reaction is a good thing unless you are already weak to start with. Most people with a weaker immune system don't get very sick. I guess my immune system is somewhere in the middle--a little tiredness and malaise, and I thought someone else was renting my arm, but not super sick.

Diane had no major response to the first shot, sick as a dog from the second. My youngest daughter, who has the immune system of a goat, was sick as hell from both shots. My oldest daughter, who is equally tough, had no reaction at all other than a red spot on her arm.

Pretty much the ultimate in YMMV (Your milage may vary).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 06:02:58 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »
It's starting to look like people who have actually HAD Covid who get the vaccine may, in about 2-3% of the cases, have a strong immune reaction to the vaccine. The bad news--you'll be sick for a day or two. the good news, you probably won't have it again for quite a while--maybe never. The early data is exactly that--early. Most docs think the strong reaction is a good thing unless you are already weak to start with. Most people with a weaker immune system don't get very sick. I guess my immune system is somewhere in the middle--a little tiredness and malaise, and I thought someone else was renting my arm, but not super sick.

Diane had no major response to the first shot, sick as a dog from the second. My youngest daughter, who has the immune system of a goat, was sick as hell from both shots. My oldest daughter, who is equally tough, had no reaction at all other than a red spot on her arm.

Pretty much the ultimate in YMMV (Your milage may vary).
I get my 2nd the day after you get here, on the april fools day.  My 78 old sister got her 2nd yesterday, 101 fever, voice was dragging on the phone, didn't want to talk.  All who I've talk to say, after the 2nd shot, you rebound in 24 hrs.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 04:56:19 AM »
For Jacky, myself, and all the other windsurfers at our beach, we all felt slightly “off” for 24-36 hours after the 2nd shot. Sick-ish, but not sick. We all got Moderna.

We could have winged the day after the shot, but decided to rest that day.

All retired people.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 06:19:46 AM »
It's so worthwhile being vaccinated, even if you still mask up to be around other people it seems more like a courtesy than something you need to do to not get a potentially lethal infection or take a chance on bringing that home to your family. Diane and I have had a few restaurant meals. It feels like the beginning of normal.

I wear a respirator at my shop a lot of the time anyway, there's a lot of things I do that demand it unless you aren't that fond of breathing. Several times I've forgotten I had the damned thing on and took a run to the hardware store. At least I won't look like an idiot or a bandit doing that anymore.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 05:54:35 AM »
J an J yesterday.  Little prick (hold it) and no issues.  Digging the one step option.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 08:16:17 AM »
22 year old neighbor's kid.  Last year of college.  Got one vaccine shot (of 2).

He goes on a ski trip with 3 others 2 weeks ago.  Western US - Utah, Jackson Hole . . .  3 of the 4 catch Covid.  He does NOT catch Covid.

He was the only person half vaccinated.  One shot and he escaped.  Law of small averages - YES - but encouraging data point. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 09:04:30 AM »
I know your wife is Irish, but I didn't know that was enough to confer Irishness to your nether parts.

After reading summaries of the studies of the vaccine efficacy and how both the companies making them and medical authorities explaining them talk about the vaccines I came to the conclusion that anti-marketing is the only flavor permitted.

Focusing on the percent of efficacy is completely misleading unless a full explanation of the methodology can be somehow transferred to the most thickheaded audience--that's unlikely.

If I were marketing these "products" the story would be something like "If you get one shot you almost certainly won't get or spread Covid, in the unlikely event you do it will be mild, get the second shot and your life can get back to normal".

The efficacy of all the vaccines is far better than anyone could have hoped. The J&J vaccine is viewed as inferior because of the way its test results are reported when in reality it is just as good and superior in many ways. Get any of them and you won't be hospitalized or die from Covid. You might be sick for two days, but no worse than a bad cold. And then you get your life back.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:22:38 AM by PonoBill »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »
The J&J vaccine was in trials while the Great Britain and South African variants were present. If the Moderna and Pfizer were tested  while those variants were present, they might have similar efficacy as the J&J.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »
Here's the problem with a vaccine efficacy number--it relates only to the trial, not real-world outcomes. It's the difference in infection rate between test vs. placebo group--that's all. There's no attempt to manage how much exposure to COVID occurs--no one is spraying virus in the test group's throat. Most importantly the efficacy number doesn't report the outcome of the infections that do occur. It's just the percentage difference in infections between test and placebo groups.

For Moderna, Pfizer, and J&J the hospitalization and death rate for the vaccinated group was essentially zero. The placebo group hospitalization and death rate mirrored the general population.

You might wonder "why two shots". It's not completely clear from my reading, but it looks like the biggest concern is the fragility of the mRNA shots and the short window for effective doses once the vaccine is thawed. Two shots dramatically reduce the chance you got a less effective dose. The primary reason J&J is a single shot seems to be that the vaccine requires less special treatment.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 03:13:52 PM »
That’s about as good an explanation as I’ve heard on the second dose PB. 
We seem to be lagging a little here in NJ, but I finally aged into a vaccine appointment for tomorrow morning.  Most likely Moderna, but would welcome any of the options at this point. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »
Just had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon. Had the chills and my joints ached all night. Still have the aches, fogged brain and my left arm still hurts at the shot point. I'm up and around kinda... Wouldn't do anything physical though.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 09:34:35 AM »
Got my 2nd Moderna on the first.  Yes a few hrs of chills and aches/fever 100.  Then it broke and I was fine.  Below is my take on whether or not to get a vaccines.

I remember one is those 1950s WWII movies.  An Italian/American guy pulls his hair through his slicked back hair by his locker on a ship about to send soldiers ashore for an amphibious landing.  A nervous shipmate asks him, “Hey, Angelo, you nervous?   You think we’re gonna make it?” And Angelo brushes it off, “They can’t kill me, I’m from New Jersey.”  That guy’s line, brimming with such a huge reservoir of confidence, always stuck with me.  Of course in the movie, just like reality, he ‘got it’ first.  And I’m all for confidence but when it comes to whether or not to vaccinate yourself some of you might be thinking, man, I don’t want to put that crap in my body.  I’m going to make myself strong and jack my immunity up, because I’m from ’New Jersey’ (or wherever) where they made us tough.  I admire that kind of bravado but for me, I know I haven’t been a monk during my life.  My lungs especially.  I’ve probably smoked more than Cheech and Chong.  I eat sugar.  Active but still, slightly overweight.  Genetically, I know I’m no ‘wunderkind’.  I allowed all those vaccines to be shot in me during my youth, like polio, which took Salk two and a half years to develop.  Hilleman was credited with creating the first measles and mumps vaccine in two years.  So is this one ‘rushed’ having been developed in a year?  It’s been 50-60 years since those vaccines were made.  I think it’s reasonable that the developmental process has been cut in half during the last half century.  What about down the line?  I hear that and again, we didn’t know what would happen with those vaccines we took as kids.  I know I have a hefty scar from my smallpox, so my modeling career is down the tubes.  But I know the amount of people who will change their minds is zero from anything I write here but the anti-vax thing is insanity.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »
Got my 2nd Moderna on the first.  Yes a few hrs of chills and aches/fever 100.  Then it broke and I was fine.  Below is my take on whether or not to get a vaccines.

I remember one is those 1950s WWII movies.  An Italian/American guy pulls his hair through his slicked back hair by his locker on a ship about to send soldiers ashore for an amphibious landing.  A nervous shipmate asks him, “Hey, Angelo, you nervous?   You think we’re gonna make it?” And Angelo brushes it off, “They can’t kill me, I’m from New Jersey.”  That guy’s line, brimming with such a huge reservoir of confidence, always stuck with me.  Of course in the movie, just like reality, he ‘got it’ first.  And I’m all for confidence but when it comes to whether or not to vaccinate yourself some of you might be thinking, man, I don’t want to put that crap in my body.  I’m going to make myself strong and jack my immunity up, because I’m from ’New Jersey’ (or wherever) where they made us tough.  I admire that kind of bravado but for me, I know I haven’t been a monk during my life.  My lungs especially.  I’ve probably smoked more than Cheech and Chong.  I eat sugar.  Active but still, slightly overweight.  Genetically, I know I’m no ‘wunderkind’.  I allowed all those vaccines to be shot in me during my youth, like polio, which took Salk two and a half years to develop.  Hilleman was credited with creating the first measles and mumps vaccine in two years.  So is this one ‘rushed’ having been developed in a year?  It’s been 50-60 years since those vaccines were made.  I think it’s reasonable that the developmental process has been cut in half during the last half century.  What about down the line?  I hear that and again, we didn’t know what would happen with those vaccines we took as kids.  I know I have a hefty scar from my smallpox, so my modeling career is down the tubes.  But I know the amount of people who will change their minds is zero from anything I write here but the anti-vax thing is insanity.

Agreed. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Now that everyone is eligible, it is selfish and reckless to obstain just to protect one person. We are on the brink of wave 4 and it blows my mind that I talk to people who are “just not sure” about getting the vaccine. Do your part. Get it and wear your effing mask in public and this will pass.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 08:06:30 AM »
Got my 2nd Moderna on the first. . . .  But I know the amount of people who will change their minds is zero from anything I write here but the anti-vax thing is insanity.

We are on the brink of wave 4 and it blows my mind that I talk to people who are “just not sure” about getting the vaccine. Do your part. Get it and wear your effing mask in public and this will pass.

To quote my latest favorite book:  The Demon Haunted World

"Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls.

The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir."
- Carl Sagan

Demons demons everywhere.

After I got my first shot one of my friends said "How's that microchip feel in your arm?"  And he was serious.  People think Bill Gates is injecting them with a tracking device or we are lemmings going down for the count.  With all science you have to recognize that the probability of anything is rarely 0% or 100%.  But I would bet against the chip in the arm theory. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:08:17 AM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal