Author Topic: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19  (Read 15107 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19
« on: March 07, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
My wife and I got our 2nd Covid shot yesterday and we've been talking about what a weird year we've been through. Getting the shot makes the light at the end of the tunnel very close and much brighter. That got me to thinking about where we were one year ago and I've been looking at some of the interesting posts on this forum from a year ago. Remember the good old days (3/17/2020) when we were concerned because there were 3,502 cases and 39 deaths in the US and there were 168,926 cases and 1,564 deaths world wide.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35836.0.html

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: the Corona Virus, One year of Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
Hi Tom

You are fortunate to have access to vaccination. I live in Canada and we are perhaps two to three months behind the US in vaccine rollout. It appears we will try to give everyone the opportunity to receive a single vaccination by the end of June followed by a 2nd dose 16 weeks later. The modelling suggests that this is a reasonable strategy with limited resources. I took my 101 year old mother to have her first dose today. My niece stayed up all night to book the appointment two weeks ago with the website overwhelmed. We may never return to the numbers you quoted from a year ago. We will be in this tunnel for the foreseeable future. Mutations and a large pool of anti vaccinations will keep it cycling. While the vaccine will prevent many if not most hospitalization and deaths it appears that it will not prevent infection and transmission completely. The new normal is going to look quite different than that of 18 months ago.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »
I did my part for Herd Immunity.  I got it, wife got it, son got it, mother in law got it most friends got it.  The 92 year old mother in law recovered from that but died of what appeared to be natural causes with a possible stroke about a month afterward, and she'd been knocking on the pearly gates for 2 years.

The family debate now is "do I still need the vaccine?  I say no.  The whole point of a vaccine is to give you antibodies with which your body can fight off an infection.  I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I have those antibodies at the same rate as a vaccinated person.  Also my understanding of travel restrictions currently are freedom of movement for those vaccinated and those who've recovered from the virus with a medical record as such, and quarantines for those who haven't been, or haven't contracted.  I hope this sensible plan is implemented.  I've heard horror stories first hand from a neighbor that got vaccinated after having it.  I'm so completely done with this lockdown and it's way better here than in other places.

By the way, it was similar in severity to a normal flu.  Stats: 58yo, Heart attack 6 years ago, a fair bit out of shape but put in a 3 hour session last Sunday. in 3-5' surf, no breathing issues.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 03:47:32 AM »
One pro-vaccine thought SJ - it might protect you against other variants.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »
Just because you got it doesn't mean you won't get it again. It's not like the mumps or chicken pox. If you had it you should still get the vaccine.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:23:00 AM »
Bean may have politely led you somewhere...  This is worth a listen or read

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/91567?xid=nl_marty_2021-03-10&eun=g1282527d0r

Somewhat off the the immediate post, but I do not think anti-vaxers or anti-mask'ers should get the vaccine. Sadly, the effects of plagues are often foisted upon the truly poor and igorant, whereas the 'proudly ignorant' often suffer little. Even stupid politics enter into this; I imagine Trump not wanting to look like a Lefty wuss to his herd ...hiding the fact that he got his vaccine in January.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 11:12:05 AM »
I rarely wear a mask, get scolded less and less frequently lately.

I have the vaccine. Got it yesterday. Left shoulder. Left arm has been tingling since last night, now I have a sore throat, headache in the back of my neck, ears ringing and fever. Had to cancel a tee time for this afternoon. Haven't been this sick since Jan 2020.

Fuck you vaccine.

I should not have this vaccine per the "vaccine phases", I lift weights, surf, run, golf and have no comorbidities (except 20 extra Lbs that comes and goes). I have been called no less than 5X by my local pharmacy when someone did not show up for their scheduled vax, yesterday I was in my office that is only 1/2 block from one of the pharmacy branches and so I got the vaccine.

Each time I said, "Isn't there someone who is older, fatter or more needy." They always said "Yes, but getting to those people who are not on cell phones or can't drive is really hard, we need to have these shots used up by 5pm." You know why I got priority, because they knew I could be counted on to show up and have an insurance card in my hand - low hanging fruit gets picked first.  Big Pharma wins again.

I regret it now, I am going to waste this Friday being sick when I should be playing. There is basically no spread of cv-19 in my local community currently, and my chances of a bad outcome from the disease are extremely low.

I don't know what I was thinking agreeing to it. Although I guess now I will unabashedly throw my dirty old masks away, so that is an upside. I also think we may have to get cv tests to travel, which should be avoidable with the vaxx I am really going to try and figure out when to get my 2nd shot. Probably schedule some continuing education webinars for the day after.

Make paddleboarding great again!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »
Moderna 1 followed by Moderna 2. No issues. Glad I did It. Might even go to Philly and harass my daughter, grandson, and son-in-law..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
Pfizer 1 yesterday at Javits Center NYC.

Awesome efficient setup filled with young Army, Staties, Natl Guard. All cheerful, and helpful. 100's of shot stations. Heartening, impressive public effort. I was in and out in 6 minutes (snuck out of the 15 min observation area lest my car get towed).

Side effects nil. Surfed Rockaway at dusk today. Fun sesh. Hoping to visit daughter/surf Bodega Bay in 6 weeks, when vaccine in full force.

Psyched to be vaccinated, but no layup. These variants are awful. They are already prevalent in the US. And we have our very own NYC variant, featured in 65% of new cases in Manhattan. We are nearly certain to have a bad 4th wave bc of variants. Gotta vax everyone fast as possible--then stay masked distant and careful. Our only hope to not have many more deaths, and ruined hospital staff.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1373070181774295040.html
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:24 PM »
Pfizer 1 two days ago. Sore arm for about 24 hrs. Other the the third arm growing out of my back, I haven't notice any side affects... Love Bill Gates!    ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
Update, I felt better after the above episode and then had dinner - to bed. Once I laid down my fingers and toes were on fire, felt like getting tapped in the funny bone for hours straight. Could not get any sleep. Fine now.

I played basketball last night and talked to our local basketball coach/P.E. Teacher. She basically lifts weights and runs like a border collie, probably hasn't had candy bar in 15 years. I would say her body fat percentage is basically zero. She got the same vaccine and passed completely out the next day. Had to get on an EKG machine, etc.

I wonder if people who metabolize better have rougher outcomes with the vaccine?
Make paddleboarding great again!

slsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
Sorry you were laid up sup leave, I also had some symptoms after pfizer 1 (arm sore, mild headache, fatigue), I understand it is not unusual for a couple of days. The symptoms show your immune system is reacting to the vaccine which is good, you are making anti-bodies. Its possible healthier people might respond more. This is way better than the effects of even a week or 2 of non-hospital covid, and to be able to travel with more confidence or gather un-masked with others who are vaccinated (as per CDC guidelines) is well worth it.

Please everyone do your part to stop the spread and get your shot before the next wave or variants.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »
Pfizer 1 shot Friday, no side effects at all .  Looking forward to shot 2 in a few weeks.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 12:44:02 PM »
I played basketball last night and talked to our local basketball coach/P.E. Teacher. She basically lifts weights and runs like a border collie, probably hasn't had candy bar in 15 years. I would say her body fat percentage is basically zero. She got the same vaccine and passed completely out the next day. Had to get on an EKG machine, etc.

I wonder if people who metabolize better have rougher outcomes with the vaccine?

What was her age?

I work with a guy who is a fit 30 year old.  Plays hockey regularly and was an aspiring near pro level player (10 years ago).  He got the 1 shot J&J Vaccine on Weds.  He was knocked OUT the following day.  24 hours of flu-like symptoms down for the count.  Couldn't even e-mail. 

The theory is it hits the younger harder (truth or not).  I would suggest that if older people are NOT impacted as much its because their systems have seen the offender before, in some related form.   

The overarching evidence is that this virus doesn't kill 90% to 99% of the people it infects because our immune systems know how to deal with it.  The only way to get to 99.99% survival however is to get the darn vaccine.  I am amazed by the 'older' people that are rebelling against vaccination. 

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 02:17:23 PM »
I signed up for a double blind study with the J & J vaccine in October. No reaction at all so I figured I got the placebo. They told me if I could get an appointment for an approved vaccine they would unblind me. In February I called to get unblinded and they told me I had the real vaccine. FWIW, I am 75 so that theory may have some merit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal