Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Wing -- preorder  (Read 9925 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Ocean Rodeo Wing -- preorder
« on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
O.K. there has been a lot of hype over this wing due to the strength and lightness of the material.  Two different wings on offer at two different prices.

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/ocean-rodeo-glide-hybrid-wing/

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/ocean-rodeo-glide-aluula-a-series-wing/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:26:58 PM by deja vu »

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ocean Rodeo Wing -- preorder
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 03:17:37 PM »
Thanks for that. All the sites list pre order but don't give prices.  That's helpful.

The pricing is as anticipated ... the Aluula kites were about double regular prices.  And the partial Aluula is maybe a third higher.  Seems about the same.

Sure will be interesting to see these in the wild.  I suspect the lightness will be a big impact on low end potential for the big wings.  Less noticable at the high end.  But what I wonder is if that lightness may translate to a noticeably lower range for each kite size.  EG if I need 18kt to be fun on my wasp 4m, would easier pumping lower that to 16kt for an Aluula?  Looking forward to finding out.

Btw, the table on this page may be helpful to differentiate features between the series:
https://oceanrodeo.ca/pages/wingsurfing

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
One concern is the canopy is the same as all other brands.

So the canopy is going to blow out and lose draft stability and upwind performance, like any other brand. That’s less than 6 months for a frequent user.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:34:44 PM »
So just a quick note - I'm am ambassador for Ocean Rodeo, I haven't gotten into winging yet, but I have the Aluula kite, and it is hands down significantly better in every way (except cost). The biggest thing is how rigid and smooth everything is, better upwind, etc.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:11:39 PM »
Isn't the foil going to go through the fabric the same as any other fabric? :) As much as I want to do it, it just seems like such disposable equipment. Worse than single 4 oz team glassed shortboards.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
Isn't the foil going to go through the fabric the same as any other fabric? :)

The surf guys weigh in.  ;D

It’s the same as Boardshorts. We buy them because John John wears them... and then use them in the pool or on a lake.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38:25 PM »
Going to have to be one hell of an amazing wing for those prices. As for wings in the surf, I'm so used to having to get my wings repaired that when I get a tear in a wing now, it's just another day. Just a matter of when, not if.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 10:30:38 PM »
Expensive but less than i feared, if an Aluula 5m gets me up on foil like a grunty "normal" 6m and stays usable and fun when overpowered it would be very tempting.
Would make for a great upwind/downwind wing.

The canopy and bladders will become all Aluula based tech too in later versions, at least that was the plan i heard in an interview.

The Aluula material will also be made available to other manufacturers, as production permits.

Anyway,it is a bold move by Ocean Rodeo.Hoping it performs really well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:39:23 PM by Dontsink »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 11:22:01 PM »
Bound to be cool in the big sizes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 01:04:32 AM »
MATRIX HANDLE SYSTEM
Quick change handles. Mix and match to your riding style.

This may right up there as the headline feature with weight if it means what it sounds/looks like.  The description is a bit vague but this sounds to be describing something which I have been pushing/rooting for.  A modular handle system where handles can be user customized and stiffer handles can be used.  If you look at the images below from the Mackite site they seem to show such a system.  Have they done it?

As for the weight they are saying 50% lighter than traditional wings.  Does that mean the Swings?  A 1.5 lb 3.5 and a 2.5 lb 5.0 would be incredible.  Couple that with a modular handle system...

It will be cool to see what is actually produced.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »
I will be interested to see the handles too.  The first photos I saw only had 2 handles....not a fan, as I like options.  But the photo you posted of the under-carriage, I expect the black strips on strut are connection points for optional handles. That's perfect, freedom of choice.

I am also curious to see what the "no hula" harness line design involves. As I do find it tricky sometimes to find the hook ... and the doing a hula is exactly what it feels like. Hopefully it's one of those small, clever modifications that seems so obvious once you see it.

Supfool

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »
The handles look promising, but I've never thought to myself, "Gee Supfool, wouldn't it be nice to have a wing that weighs half as much as my current one, even it costs twice as much?" Nah.  In a kite I can see the benefit where you're swinging it around to generate power lightness helps.  In a relatively static wing I suspect the advantage is less pronounced.  Too bad it's so homely looking, but then again OR has never been known for their aesthetic appeal.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »
the number one thing I hate about my Airrush 7.0 is the length of the strut, which loves to dig into the surface and stand itself up straight. But a close second is the weight. anytime you go off the wind--even just broadening up the reach, the wing gets heavy. Downwind it's all I can do to keep it up. In the light winds that big wings are made for, turning downwind means having little to no support. so yeah, light weight for big wings is a huge deal--at least it is for me.

Unfortunately, there isn't a 7.0 for the OR wing, or I'd order it. Fortunately, I will soon be where it doesn't matter so much.

fifteen psi in the boom--that's going to be as stiff as carbon.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:50:13 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
In thinking back, after Fool's comment...  I remember kites in the early 2000s falling out of the sky if you were trying to 'ghost' downwind, praying for a lighter canopy, but a 'static' wing as he mentions seems less an issue.  Taking FLkiter's lead - I would probably better off have a duplicate while waiting for AIRTIME to finish my repair during peak season. Buying a second when someone "upgrades" seems a good season-saver move.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 11:35:09 AM »
the number one thing I hate about my Airrush 7.0 is the length of the strut, which loves to dig into the surface and stand itself up straight. But a close second is the weight. anytime you go off the wind--even just broadening up the reach, the wing gets heavy. Downwind it's all I can do to keep it up. In the light winds that big wings are made for, turning downwind means having little to no support. so yeah, light weight for big wings is a huge deal--at least it is for me.

Unfortunately, there isn't a 7.0 for the OR wing, or I'd order it. Fortunately, I will soon be where it doesn't matter so much.

fifteen psi in the boom--that's going to be as stiff as carbon.
Large wings being light weight was the main reason I went with the Takoon line. The 7m with f-one type weight made it much more of a pleasure the heavier wing I had before.
 Thing is it seems like theres a tipping point for these bigger wings. Below 0.9 lbs per meter just works good. The other wing I tried is 1.0 lbs per meter at times seems like work.
 A 7 or 8 meter that weighed below 0.6 lbs per meter could be gold for my neck of the woods.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal