Author Topic: 15 Psi, is that a stiffy?  (Read 1818 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
15 Psi, is that a stiffy?
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
in progress...

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 15 Psi, is that a stiffy?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »
Stiff indeed!  Aluula can handle higher pressure, so this should allow for similar stiffness with a smaller diameter tube.  Looks like boom is aluula on both models, the A series has aluula leading edge, the HL series has dacron LE with a strip on aluula.  Will be really interesting to feel how the weight reduction affects riding.  I suspect it'll be felt less in small wings in high wind versus very noticable in bigger wings in light wind.  Though maybe it will extend the low end wind margin for all wings, if lighter = faster easier pumping. 

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »
Re: Potentially $2,000/wing, is that a stiffy?  No!

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 03:10:07 PM »
Interesting that the boom is the point of least compromise in terms of spec between the two models. I'd have thought the leading edge would be the important bit, but perhaps the edge Aluula reinforcement in the HL provides sufficient difference to standard Dacron.

I have a pre order in for the HL in 5 and 6m and that was about £1k for each. Pricing on the A wasn't available when I committed and that was already as much as my stomach could take anyway, but I'm getting tempted to see what they are, and maybe just get a 5m A...

Having said that, £2k on an unknown wing sounds almost reckless, but if you can pump the leading edge to super high pressure (the details are silent on leading edge pressure) then theory says it could have an amazing low end.

EDIT - if the stiff boom is the 'important bit' then boomed hybrid wings could prove to be popular!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:13:33 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 03:32:44 PM »
I think stiffness in the strut is a must-have -- when you sheet in, you want full responsiveness.  I suspect that's the reason for aluula in both models, as well as only having to design one strut and also it's a lot less expensive aluula material than the leading edge.   A boom gives maximum stiffness.  If weight isn't an issue, maybe an in-between option could be a carbon strip, similar to how gong reinforces its inflatable wingboards.

Ideally the leading edge would be full aluula too, but I suspect the HL dacron option is to offer a less sticker-shock option.

Reading the webpage, a few interesting design features:
-- I like having the strut have a separate inflation valve, more for easy deflating.
-- I prefer more handles than 2, it says it offers options, so there are probably mounts to add more.
-- I will be curious to see the "no hula" connector for a harness....as I all too aware of that awkward hula dance to try and clip in.
-- tiny windows, not dominating the design, but just enough to lessen the huge blind spot, maybe see the windsurfer or boat before you start that gybe [embarrassed to admit I have had a few close calls]

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal