Author Topic: Hobie unlimited 12 klicks on the Knik  (Read 6941 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hobie unlimited 12 klicks on the Knik
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:50:40 PM »
At a balmy 34f! So much warmer than last time out. I decided to make an attempt at getting downriver to where salt and tides interact with ice.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hobie unlimited 12 klicks on the Knik
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 11:55:01 PM »
Shallow water is a problem in winter, but this barge is so stable that I can tilt it over 45 degrees sorta pull the fin up out of the sand.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 12:00:13 AM »
Further progress was blocked by an ice floe wedged against the shore.
Sort of good, as it turns out.  If I had kept going I could easily burned another hour and I was plenty tired getting back upstream as it was.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 12:10:26 AM »
The current was toughest at the bridges,  my old Blue Planet would be tough if not impossible for me to overcome the current with.
The shot with the wonky tree is my favorite.

At one point,  I got hung in a sand/silt bar . I tried to bounce to get out,  the silt liquefied and I lost my balance at the  suction released and the board shot out from under my feet.  Good thing I have the drysuit! I found that while the silt was not walkable I could put a knee on the board and kick along. Finally got back to the start point and called it a day.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 12:16:42 AM »
map of the route.

and a fun link to the panorama Google made.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 07:17:10 AM »
You're making me both cold, and feel like a weenie. I didn't stay out long yesterday on my exercise paddle because it was cold--in La Jolla. Sheesh.

I still own a drysuit, but the last time I moved it the neck tore out and the cuffs fell off. I'd get them replaced, but I'd just be pushing reset on the rubber degrading.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »
edut*cold....ha this was balmy  ;D
It's weird how stuff "I just bought recently" gets super old when I turn away for a minute. Much warmer than this and I bail out of the drysuit and just drip dry if I fall in  8) . I don't think I can do another trip like this unless I catch a higher discharge of the power plant. My torn right shoulder needs to make it one more summer and pushing/plowing thru the sandbars upstream left me with severe overnight pains.  Doc warned me not to tear the last 10% of ligament holding on, says stretching the retracted muscle is no fun for me or him.  But I was having a blast.

The Hobie seems really suited for me ,I was sure I would be high out of the water and tippy. I don't see much room for cutting it to a dugout like Talldude had been planning.  I was only an inch or so above the water. I was extra forward to minimize rudder catching. I will modify both of the unlimiteds for a kayak rudder for rivers for sure this summer. Solves rudder issues 100%.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 08:12:58 PM »
Nice trip and pictures Muddy!

Soft sinky tidal mud is definitely risky business to get caught in the middle of.

Take care of that shoulder... wouldn't want to tear it while out at the far end of the trip.
Are you getting it repaired?

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »
repaired - yeah - it's just when can I deal with 6 months recovery. Yes - it would be extra-bad to tear it fully out alone - so there is that. I would have gone for it last fall - but the wife had had to get a new knee first - we have to schedule our parts replacements carefully :D This won't be 3 months/minor repair as I have a big ol' arthritic/tendon-tearing knob on my clavicle - going for the Mumford like my left shoulder had 10 years ago. So - I'll be having no fun when I do it. I need a right knee 1/2 replacement to go with my left too :D I lost a bunch of bow-leg on one side and  - :D it's hurting my back to be offset! A straightened leg is longer than a bent one. This getting old stuff is not easy  :P

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 11:27:24 PM »
That is frick'n awesome to see the Hobie up there. I'm glad it made it from SoCal to Alaska intact. It is a barge and I'm glad it works for you. What a beautiful place. So... which do you like better, the Bark or the Hobie?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 10:54:51 AM »
just a reminder, black boards get really hot which can cause gasses from EPS foam to expand and crack the board at the weakest point. Also if one spot get too hot it can cause the EPS to melt which caves the board in in spots. I recommend sanding and painting the top of the board a light color to keep it cool when it's left in the sun. It has gore vents already but sometimes they get crud in them. You can also install cut-in leash plugs for tie-down mounts. They are cheap and install pretty easy. You can Epoxy the rudder system on as well. Most of the rudder systems I've seen installed on unlimiteds were DIY set-ups. Some cut a strip of deckpad out and run a tube / cable housing flat on the board up to the steerer. They glue the tube down and put a piece of deck pad back over it. There are screw mounts that are designed to be glassed it too. They are for foot straps or handle straps on SUPs. windsurfers and foil boards.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 12:08:04 AM »
I glued irrigation tubes down on the deck of one of my fugly unlimited deck rebuilds. Worked fine to guide the cables. I cut slots in the pad, glued the tubing down and laid a strip of pad on top.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »
Which is better... well, I'm not sure yet. :D I'd have been happy with either one alone I think. The Bark - so roundy/smoothy on the bottom - really takes a big fin - I tried my Red Elite little fin and it was sliding sideways/fish-tailing all over. As you know, I was too far back so it could behave better had I gotten the weight up to get the nose into the water - but my larger FCS Touring fin got it to track straight. Both boards are stable - perhaps having a Red Elite trained me to be tolerant of bobble because I found the Bark very comfortable. Since it was so warm - and I had time - I took the Hobie on this much more adventurous run downriver - I was hoping to get out in the tidal/ice-blocks zone - it's pretty weird/dramatic.  The Hobie was very stable, tracked straight - and my over-large self on it, not that high out of the water. I stayed a bit forward, kept the nose in the water - it seems pretty fast. I hit 6mph a few times, but even with only the small current of the tailrace, it's hard to tell what my flatwater speed would be. It's winter, I'm not in top shape, not paddling 3 days a week or more like summer - but I can tell I like them. I would have been really happy with either - but it's fun to mess with both. I can't wait to try them back-to-back and I have friend who wants to try them too - so maybe a trip to Portage Glacier for more ice  - I've run out!(it's great in scotch - I got my big chunk to last over a year keeping it in the freezer)  I think the Bark will be very much a "sea kayak"  - I will have to search how to do the install - I can't tell what is going on with the pictures of this model Bark when steering. I can do what I did on the Red - fiber spring glued into the kayak rudder for "return to center" and terrible/loose 550 cord pulls on one side or the other - tension/stretch not too big a deal since it's not what keeps the fin straight. For sure at first I will set it up like that - mostly just need a zero-clearance fin for shallows/trees etc - that river was so low that I was constantly dodging submerged alders near the bank - deepest water was also the most hazardous. I cruised downriver farther out in the shallows but upriver I was digging deep for power - jamming my paddle in the bottom was not working. I should bring a 12ft pole :D
So - yeah - they are both awesome - I can't believe I'm so lucky - I bet these are the ONLY unlimited boards in Alaska.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal