Author Topic: Kujira!  (Read 9426 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Kujira!
« on: February 26, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »
second session on the kujira 980 with my SUP.  The first session was a total train-wreck due to all the angles being wrong, but this morning went much better.  Gosh, all the talk about shimming is really true - the angles out of the box are totally completely out of whack.  It took a huge amount of shimming to get it looking even close to normal on the beach - the stock angle of the fuse/wing was set up to ride so far nose down that I was actually digging the nose in the water just trying to ride level on the first few flights.  I think the carbon fuse had the opposite problem and they over corrected on the aluminum version.  I ended up shimming the interface between the mast and fuse this morning and everything went much better on the water.

In generally it rides like a tiny GoFoil NL.  I don't have the NL130, but I have to imagine they are similar.

I'm 95kg without a wetsuit, riding it with a 13.5" Kane tail at 3deg (no shims).  Lift comes on smooth and consistent, the ride is fairly stable, but I could crank turns like I expected, fast too.  It is definitely pumpable and I got a two-fer, but not at all easy.  Riding waves the size was fine, but I like to pump so I'd probably be happier on the next size up at my weight.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kujira!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
I have been told that the new masts do not require shimming of the mast plate.
And that he old masts ride much better with 6 to 9mm shim on the aft part of the plate.
This whole shim business gets kinda confusing :)

-So you are riding old or new mast?
-Carbon or Alu?.
-You shimmed with Takuma shims or DIY?

I have a Kujira 980+OldCarbon mast, i have not used it yet due to Covid travel restrictions enforced lately.
 But i would like to get it in the ballpark angles wise before paddling out :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »
That's an interesting report Jon, hard to tell if you really like it or not when you say, "In generally it rides like a tiny GoFoil NL.  I don't have the NL130, but I have to imagine they are similar" (yes, the first outing is always still kind of a feeling out period I know). With the way you were riding your GoFoil the last time I saw you at Sano...I thought you were killing it, and that you wouldn't need/want to switch brands, instead of just getting a new GF wing. ??? :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »
I figured I can always sell it. Bought it from
Clay.  Not much more for the whole kit used than a GF wing costs alone.  I’ve only been on GoFoil so I decided to see if there was something I’m missing.   

As far as shimming, I used washers between the mast and the fuse. I ended up making the fuselage parallel to the bottom of the board and that’s working good.  So old/new/whatever - shim the baseplate or mast to fuse.  Just get the fuselage parallel to the bottom of the board by eye and I reckon it’ll work.  It was off by a lot out of the box.  And it rode like crap that way (takeoffs were no bueno, and flying was noticeably nose down).

I’ll report after another few sessions.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 06:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the update Jondrums.

I am waiting for this whole "shimming" fad to pass. If I wait long enough, it will go away.

Eyeballing the NL130 for my Gen1 heavy, tall Go Foil mast.

-red

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 12:18:38 AM »
I figured I can always sell it. Bought it from
Clay.  Not much more for the whole kit used than a GF wing costs alone.  I’ve only been on GoFoil so I decided to see if there was something I’m missing.
Ha! Makes sense...because that was exactly me when I bought some of DW's previous gear last year. Completely forgot about that, and the comparison in my initial post, because for me, the difference was night and day between the two, and I fell in love with the new stuff almost instantaneously.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »
In case anyone cares - I've put several sessions in on the Kujira 980, and now I have the 1210 as well with one session with it under my belt.

When combined with the KD Maui tail - these foils are incredibly smooth.  Honestly the difference versus the GoFoil NL series is pretty minor and I would say not worth the $$$ to convert over if you already have the setup you like there.  But I will say, that they are an improvement as far as I can tell.

It has taken A LOT of tinkering to get the angles set up the way I like.  I had to modify the aluminum mast with a grinder and file to put about 4degrees of angle on the mast-to-fuse connection.  4degrees doesn't sound like much, but it is A LOT - more than can be shimmed out with a wizard hat kit for example.  I'm still working the tail angles, so I think there is room for continued improvement.

In my opinion, the 1210 should be a match for the GoFoil NL 160, while the 980 should be a match for the GoFoil NL 130.    I don't have these wings, but I base it on extensive riding the 190 and the 220 and looking at the dimensions.

The kujira foils turn SO nicely.  They hold pitch really easily and can really crank around fast.  When I say they ride smoothly, I think it has a lot to do with pitch variation.  The lift is much less sensitive to pitch versus the NL, so pitch stability is really good even with a small tail.  Sometimes I find with other foils that I need to compensate when I go into a turn to keep from either breaching or digging in the nose.  The Kujira just seems to flow through the turn without any weight shift.  Similarly for taking off - I don't need to work hard to keep the nose down, nor "ollie" up the nose to get it out of the water.  Its a smooth transition from paddling to planing to foiling.

Obviously, they pump great, but you have to keep speed up since they are so small.

Lastly - they are wicked sharp.  I had to order more wetsuit repair patches because even the most minor contact with the foil cuts a hole in my wetsuit.  I've got cuts on my feet just from kicking the foil by mistake when I'm in the water next to it.  I detuned the tips and the trailing edge substantially and felt no effect - Highly recommend doing that out of the box.

Overall, I strongly recommend these foils if you're in the market for an upgrade.  If you're already on any number of the top foils, the difference probably just comes down to whether it matches your style.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »
I ended up getting the 1210 with full carbon and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Its seems like setting up the kujira is mostly voodoo though. Weirdly enough, I am liking it best without any base plate shim or tail shim. The 1210 has plenty of lift for me at 220 lbs in all but the weakest waves. On the other hand I talked with another guy I had at least 20 lbs on who had the aluminum 1210 and he said he was struggling to get enough lift.

The kujira is stupid sharp. I've been out of action for a few days after cutting my foot on the wind tip. If it had hit a little straighter on I would have needed stitches.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
I ended up getting the 1210 with full carbon and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Its seems like setting up the kujira is mostly voodoo though. Weirdly enough, I am liking it best without any base plate shim or tail shim. The 1210 has plenty of lift for me at 220 lbs in all but the weakest waves. On the other hand I talked with another guy I had at least 20 lbs on who had the aluminum 1210 and he said he was struggling to get enough lift.

The kujira is stupid sharp. I've been out of action for a few days after cutting my foot on the wind tip. If it had hit a little straighter on I would have needed stitches.

I also found you don't need the wedge or shim on the 1210. Strange your friend can't get enough lift on the Alu set up as it has the angle built into the fuselage , it has a ridiculous amount of lift the only thing I can think off is that his board has a significant tail rocker offsetting the wedge. When we tow on the 85 Alu with the 980 mast we actually reverse wedge the mast and reverse shim the tail trying to kill the enormous lift at really high speeds.

Re the sharpness it is stupid sharp , I have some nasty scars from both my 980 & 1210 and so have my mates , plus the back of new carbon mast are even more dealy. As much as I love my Kujiras I sold them.  I'm so accident prone it's only a matter of time before I got a serious injury from them.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
Piros - what have you replaced the 980/1210 with these days?

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 09:04:04 PM »
Piros - what have you replaced the 980/1210 with these days?

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
Are all the bolts of the Takuma M8 ?
And is the torx size for all of them T40?

I have the 1210 on its way and want to the right stainless steel tools before it arrives.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
They are all M6 torx flatheads.  You should be able to find the torx size based on that info, sorry, I don’t know offhand.

I did come here to post that I am just about done with my gofoil set.  I have been keeping the 190 and 220 NL around for really small days, but I’m finding with the 1210 I don’t really need them.  I went out this morning in really small conditions and did just fine - in fact I had a blast.  The 1210 is just so fast and has crazy good lift for how surfy it is.  For sure I can get out of the water earlier and pump into waves earlier with the bigger NL wings, but they aren’t near as fun to ride.

We may see my GF up in gear swap soon.  Raising money for a Cerberus mast system because the Takuma aluminum mast is a real dog weight wise. 

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 05:50:29 PM »
M6 screws, T30 torx bit.

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 08:54:12 PM »
It’s so good.... but scary sharp!  For small surf it’s a weapon- literally