Author Topic: Dropped board size today  (Read 15619 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped board size today
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2021, 06:32:29 PM »
At my 65kgs, I tried my bigger 37 liter prone for the first time.  Wind starting dropping of course and the sea state was very choppy.  The Stinkbug was the only method that got me to my feet, but just not enough wind to get going. 

Funny enough, after 20-30 minutes of practicing, knowing there wasn't enough wind,  I looked to the shore and there was a full array of first responders, including a full on fire truck, ambulance, park police, city police and who else knows.  I realized they were there for me when I saw them all lined up looking at me with binoculars.  I gave them the pat on the head and thumbs up and they all shrugged and left.  When I came in, this lady came up and apologized.  Said she had seen me out before and I 'was never struggling in the water so much' so she called 911 to report 'a windsurfer in distress'.   ;D

This is funny! I was in West Maui over a year ago trying to wing and was greeted by the Hawaiian Water Patrol on a jet ski who said someone thought I was drowning and called 911. He asked where my strings were.  He warned me of the mob of firemen waiting for me at the beach. Sure enough there were 10 firemen at my condo who were really interested in what I was trying to do. I was a bit surprised that non of them had seen wing foiling before.  I also had a 911 call on me at my local urban spot where I was greeted on shore by a fire truck and policeman. I must look like I really know what I am doing!!!

yup my first go at winging, my buddy and I had a lifeguard paddle almost a mile out to sea to check on us, as we had multiple 911 calls about us.  We knew the lifeguard, and as soon as he realized who we were he looked pissed about having had to paddle all the way out to us.  We just gave a chuckle, apologized he had to do the long paddle, and slowly slogged our way back to the house.

If you know you're going to be struggling while learning something new, probably a good idea to check in with lifeguards first, and give them a heads up.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2021, 10:19:03 PM »
I am 95kg with full suit etc. I am of moderate finesse and atheletic ability. I am wing foiling on 105L (+10L/kg) Quatro WingDrifter Pro for 1y (was on 130L before that). On the 105L, I knee start but cannot balance/slog indefinitely while waiting for wind. If I go to 88L (-7 L/kg), how hard will it be and what method will I need to get up and onto foil.

5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Volume vs. Size
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2021, 07:09:21 AM »
I'm curious to get opinions on volume vs. size in terms of downsizing benefits. There are plenty of boards out there that are close to 6' but only ~100ltrs or less, and others that are 120ltrs at 5' (at comparable widths, just more thickness on the smaller board). I'm still learning and on a 5'8"x29" 115ltr Quatro, and while I love the idea of a smaller board for pumping and maneuverability, it seems like going to a significantly lower volume board that is not meaningfully smaller give me a slight reduction in board weight, but also means I can't slog home. On the flip side, I can get a significantly smaller board (in terms of dimensions) with only slightly lower volume and reduce swing weight etc. but still have enough buoyancy for easy starts, slogs, and paddles (I'm about 80kg dry).

Is there a factor I'm missing here?

I'm a water start capable windsurfer, so looking forward to riding a true sinker on high wind days, but my usual conditions are 15kts with significant lulls, so need a lower wind solution for daily use even long term unless I want to do a lot of paddling.

Thanks

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »
...Funny enough, after 20-30 minutes of practicing, knowing there wasn't enough wind,  I looked to the shore and there was a full array of first responders, including a full on fire truck, ambulance, park police, city police and who else knows.  I realized they were there for me when I saw them all lined up looking at me with binoculars.  I gave them the pat on the head and thumbs up and they all shrugged and left.  When I came in, this lady came up and apologized.  Said she had seen me out before and I 'was never struggling in the water so much' so she called 911 to report 'a windsurfer in distress'.   ;D
I was doing the walk of shame this spring when the wind slacked off and left me down the beach unable to get back upwind. I was zoned out in my own world when I hear this voice saying "Are you all right?". I turned to see a couple guys with local fire dept shirts on and said "what?", not understanding what they were asking me. He says they got a call about someone in distress and were checking to see if I was OK. I laughed and apologized for interrupting their day and kept going on my walk. Spectators should chill out and watch for a while before they panic and call 911.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2021, 05:53:14 AM »
I started this thread when I dropped from 115L to takuma tk 85L.
Today I dropped to takuma tk65L, I'm 77kg and it was a great start today, easy to start doing the stink bug start and gybes were effortless. Only had 30 mins before wind dropped, whereas I could have slogged in on my 85l, the 65l needs a bit of pressure in the wing to slog at water level. But overall, board was really easy to pump on foil and ride, I'll keep the 85l for light/gusty days but the moment there's enough wind I'll be on the 65L.

Mike

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Volume vs. Size
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »
A lot of the advantages of going smaller have changed with new design.  I recently dropped board volume from 105L to 75L, and weigh 90 kgs for reference.  With the new board, longer tracks make a huge difference.  I have the 5'2" Armstrong FG, and ride comfortably with my front foot is not far from the nose of the board.   It's fun to ride in good winds, not as fun in lite winds. If you prefer not to have a sinker , probably body weight +10 makes most sense.

I'm curious to get opinions on volume vs. size in terms of downsizing benefits. There are plenty of boards out there that are close to 6' but only ~100ltrs or less, and others that are 120ltrs at 5' (at comparable widths, just more thickness on the smaller board). I'm still learning and on a 5'8"x29" 115ltr Quatro, and while I love the idea of a smaller board for pumping and maneuverability, it seems like going to a significantly lower volume board that is not meaningfully smaller give me a slight reduction in board weight, but also means I can't slog home. On the flip side, I can get a significantly smaller board (in terms of dimensions) with only slightly lower volume and reduce swing weight etc. but still have enough buoyancy for easy starts, slogs, and paddles (I'm about 80kg dry).

Is there a factor I'm missing here?

I'm a water start capable windsurfer, so looking forward to riding a true sinker on high wind days, but my usual conditions are 15kts with significant lulls, so need a lower wind solution for daily use even long term unless I want to do a lot of paddling.

Thanks

EastBayFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 04:49:08 PM »
I am 95kg with full suit etc. I am of moderate finesse and atheletic ability. I am wing foiling on 105L (+10L/kg) Quatro WingDrifter Pro for 1y (was on 130L before that). On the 105L, I knee start but cannot balance/slog indefinitely while waiting for wind. If I go to 88L (-7 L/kg), how hard will it be and what method will I need to get up and onto foil.

I'm just a hair lighter than you (90kg no gear) and I just went for 125l to 90l. I suspect your experience will be more of less the same except that minimum amount of forward momentum to stand will increase. You will not be able to stand with no wind period. And, you will be a little more challenged to to maintain balance when standing in very light winds. I say go for it if you're into it.

I got to try a 105l board before I picked up the 90l. The difference was small between the two. Basically on the 105l I had a chance of standing in no wind on the 90l I have none. I also get hammered a little harder in the chop because it's a smaller board.  In light winds I can still get up and do all the things fine.

The last detail is are you in salt or fresh water? I'm in salt water so my board doesn't actually sink. It's pretty close. I have maybe 1cm of freeboard.  But, if you're in freshwater that may make your proposed board submerge a bit.
AK Phazer 90L, Axis 1060BSC/440

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal