Author Topic: Dropped board size today  (Read 15618 times)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dropped board size today
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »
I made a drop in board size too over Presidents Day weekend in Hatteras. It was a fun trip and I had the place to myself, literally. I demoed several Quattro wing boards and ended up on the 5'4" @ 90 L. My current board is a 5'4" @ 110 L. I weight about 110 kg but with my full 5/4 suit w/booties/gloves probably pushing 115+ kg. The 90 L board was a sinker for me for sure but I was able to get going using a new technique I discovered several months ago. I have never seen this method used in videos or described and it was actually pretty easy even in shallow water on a sinker board. I plan to make a video on how it's done. It's quick and slick!! Having a demo center available was an eye opener on what is possible with board size. I think I could have even rode the 80 L Quattro with this technique but didn't demo that one. It's fun riding smaller boards!! Congrats to all making a drop down in board size.

Hey cnksi, I'll be interested to see if you are doing what I've been doing also.  I have a 5'0 SkyWing, 75 lt and I weigh ~93-95kg in full rubber, boots, hood,  so close to your -20 lt to weight ratio.  At that length and volume it's not a sinker for me, but it's a b$#$ch to get on to knee start, especially in very light wind. I cannot just mount the board on my knees with the wing floating beside me. My method has to be done quick to get to knee start and balanced on board with wing overhead. The steps are literally done as fast as possible 3-4 seconds or you're stuck in unstable no balance no mans land!
1. I'm in water next to board, I hold my wing in front hand on the handle that I prefer to wing with (2 back) with forearm resting on deck of board near front straps. 
2. Still holding wing in front hand, push up onto board with my front elbow/forearm and back hand/forearm, the front hand has to draw the wing over my head to windward while i get my chest up onto board. I'm also getting my front leg/knee sliding into position, while simultaneously getting back knee onto board.
3. Almost immediately, once I've slid knees into position and semi sprawled under wing on the board, I quickly reach for back handle and immediately power up the wing to be able to use it for balance and finalize/stabilize my knee start position.
4. Once I'm in classic knee start position with wing powered up overhead, it's all normal from there and doable.

Clear as mud from my description!  I've been doing this since last summer when I got the board as I found it was the only way to ever get up and going for me. I do it in all conditions, big wind swell, big wind (35+) and on the lightest end as possible (10 ish? to get to knees then stay that way till gust to get to feet and fly).  I've tried to explain it, but there's no comparison to seeing it done, never seen anyone do it online in video, and I've never had it video'd  Something to do some day I guess.  I suspect your board may be a tad easier as it's longer and wider, but I'm sure still sketchy at your float to weight ratio. Anyway, very interested to hear/see what it is you're doing! Cheers and happy winging!

RobM- YES YES YES!!! Almost identical to what you are doing. I will try to simplify my method:
1) I put the wing up on the board holding onto the front handle I will be using while riding (not LE handle).
2) I then climb up onto the board on my stomach in prone surf paddle position still holding the handle on top the board with the wing over the top of me (it helps that I am on the Duo Unit with dihedral so the upper half of the wing isn't resting directly on me. The lower half is flat on the water much like in my picture I posted above).
3) I then simultaneously push down on the board with my front hand (still holding the wing handle on the nose of the board) and my back hand (which is free and close to the rail about mid board or maybe a little more towards the tail) and quickly pop up onto my knees keeping my head and shoulders low. As soon as I am on my knees I quickly raise the wing and grab the back handle (everything soon stabilizes).
4) Now I am in classic knee start position with wing powered up overhead. It's all normal from there and doable!!!

This method is so quick and easy!! I too cannot mount a sinker board onto my knees with the wing floating beside me. Tried and failed many many times. A sink start seems too hard, slow and obviously need deeper water. I ride strapless so a waterstart is pretty much out of the question, and I'm almost positive I could never pull off Alan Cadiz's sit start. Very cool RobM that we are doing the same thing. It seems so intuitive. Should we name it? Quick start? Wingover start? The Stinkbug start? :-)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:51:55 PM by cnski »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 10:28:59 PM »
I have to try this, and Stinkbug sounds great IMHO , La Cucaracha would also be legit :).

I have a Gong Matata EPS 5 foot (40l) that is really hard to knee start.
It floats too little but too much for my 75kg... it is a lot of stress on my worn knees and if i screw up the balancing bit it shoots up into the wing.

Once  up it rides super sweet as it is very light,this technique may be just what i needed.
Thx for posting!.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:35:19 PM by Dontsink »

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 11:02:49 AM »
RobM- YES YES YES!!! Almost identical to what you are doing. ...

This method is so quick and easy!! I too cannot mount a sinker board onto my knees with the wing floating beside me. Tried and failed many many times. A sink start seems too hard, slow and obviously need deeper water. I ride strapless so a waterstart is pretty much out of the question, and I'm almost positive I could never pull off Alan Cadiz's sit start. Very cool RobM that we are doing the same thing. It seems so intuitive. Should we name it? Quick start? Wingover start? The Stinkbug start? :-)
Cnski- my wing twin brother! Hilarious, that we have both come up with the identical method out of necessity ;D.  The Stinkbug works,  I just had to look at a picture, and that probably resembles me splayed out on the board under my wing! I was also thinking a "deadman" like in a crime scene outline!

Same as you, no way I could do the Cadiz start from sitting position straddling the board,  I'm not that flexible, numerous  fails.

@Dontsink, same the unbalanced board often results in water to air missile into wing ;)
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 05:27:09 PM »
OK folks and brother RobM below is a video clip of me showcasing the winging Quickstart, Stinkbug, La Cucaracha or Deadman start. Name still to be determined. I am riding my 110 L board. I don't have a small board yet but it is ordered.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 10:02:40 PM »
OK folks and brother RobM below is a video clip of me showcasing the winging Quickstart, Stinkbug, La Cucaracha or Deadman start. Name still to be determined. I am riding my 110 L board. I don't have a small board yet but it is ordered.

Great, looks super quick!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »
At my 65kgs, I tried my bigger 37 liter prone for the first time.  Wind starting dropping of course and the sea state was very choppy.  The Stinkbug was the only method that got me to my feet, but just not enough wind to get going. 

Funny enough, after 20-30 minutes of practicing, knowing there wasn't enough wind,  I looked to the shore and there was a full array of first responders, including a full on fire truck, ambulance, park police, city police and who else knows.  I realized they were there for me when I saw them all lined up looking at me with binoculars.  I gave them the pat on the head and thumbs up and they all shrugged and left.  When I came in, this lady came up and apologized.  Said she had seen me out before and I 'was never struggling in the water so much' so she called 911 to report 'a windsurfer in distress'.   ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 08:06:17 AM »
VB, I have felt that way myself lol. In fact, “windsurfer in distress” is probably the best description of learning anything new on a wing. Haha

Stink bug innovators, am I seeing right that unlike the method JuanD and I are using, in your version the front handle is in your upwind hand? I have to try this as even when I see it on video it seems strange. But as the vid shows, it’s really effective. A buddy just got a 4’6” x 23.5” wingboard and this may be the only way we get that one going.

Thanks

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 12:34:54 PM »
Surfcowboy- Your front hand is your front riding hand which rests on the board with you laying under it. You use the front hand to push down on the nose of the board and quickly pop up to your knees. It works so well and is quick. One of these days I’ll try to get a better video of it but it’s pretty simple.
VB- Glad you tried it out just need to a bit more wind it sounds like!!
-Jason

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
Cnski - I had a thought when I was trying the stinkbug. When laying prone and getting to your knees, do you think it would be beneficial to try adding a short pigtail to the rear handle with a few knots it (maybe 16” long and elastic)? This would allow you to have some power in the wing and allow for even quicker rear handle grab?  I may give it a go next time out.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 03:42:38 AM »
Surfcowboy- Your front hand is your front riding hand which rests on the board with you laying under it. You use the front hand to push down on the nose of the board and quickly pop up to your knees. It works so well and is quick. One of these days I’ll try to get a better video of it but it’s pretty simple.
VB- Glad you tried it out just need to a bit more wind it sounds like!!
-Jason

You should make a new thread titled "Stinkbug Starting Technique".

So everybody could read it,it is kind of buried here and it deserves a big spotlight :)

I think it is a gamechanger for small boards and for any board in chalenging conditions like big chop or waves.Quicker and easier than anything else.

WingTime

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 07:55:39 AM »
wow, definitely interested in this new technique

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »
Yes it should probably have it's own thread since it's a new starting technique. It's been a game changer for me for sure.

WingTime

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »
Yeah, I think you're right - Davy Jones Start
Does this work in light winds also ?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
Yes it totally works in light winds.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 06:25:52 AM »
At my 65kgs, I tried my bigger 37 liter prone for the first time.  Wind starting dropping of course and the sea state was very choppy.  The Stinkbug was the only method that got me to my feet, but just not enough wind to get going. 

Funny enough, after 20-30 minutes of practicing, knowing there wasn't enough wind,  I looked to the shore and there was a full array of first responders, including a full on fire truck, ambulance, park police, city police and who else knows.  I realized they were there for me when I saw them all lined up looking at me with binoculars.  I gave them the pat on the head and thumbs up and they all shrugged and left.  When I came in, this lady came up and apologized.  Said she had seen me out before and I 'was never struggling in the water so much' so she called 911 to report 'a windsurfer in distress'.   ;D

This is funny! I was in West Maui over a year ago trying to wing and was greeted by the Hawaiian Water Patrol on a jet ski who said someone thought I was drowning and called 911. He asked where my strings were.  He warned me of the mob of firemen waiting for me at the beach. Sure enough there were 10 firemen at my condo who were really interested in what I was trying to do. I was a bit surprised that non of them had seen wing foiling before.  I also had a 911 call on me at my local urban spot where I was greeted on shore by a fire truck and policeman. I must look like I really know what I am doing!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal