Author Topic: Best Sanding Screen for EPS?  (Read 2937 times)

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Best Sanding Screen for EPS?
« on: February 19, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »
I saw or read a while back that someone was using a certain type of sanding screen on scrubbing out an EPS CNCed blank. Any recommendations other than what’s on most of the surfboard supply stores? I got a big batch of boards to do and wanted the fastest and least amount of chunking!
Thank you 🙏🏼
Fanman

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Sanding Screen for EPS?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
Other than 3m?
TY

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 01:20:30 PM »
Timmy Patterson just uses the softest sanding pad (Blue Softie) to cleanup the CNC'd boards. Probably 100 to 200 grit and holds the pad in the palm of his hand. No machine.
https://greenlightsurfsupply.com/products/flexpad-surfboard-sanding-pads-8-diameter

There is also this
https://www.foamez.com/product/e-z-shaping-pad-combo/   Use the LT sanding screens/pads.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 06:43:28 PM »
Thank you TallDude,
I was thinking more about the rails and not getting any chunks! I was gonna do 9 boards without taking all day. I usually take my time with no hurry, but doing 9 and travel time etc. was trying to expedite without a disaster!  I thought someone was recommended a new screen they used on rails that works really well. Poly is like butter and depending, sometimes EPS is a little fickle etc. I’ve got plenty of 3m screen and sanding pads, so I’ll be fine 👍🏼

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »
I use ace hardware screens for sanding drywall patches and seams. Cuts fast, doesn't plug, doesn't rip. It's actually a bit too good, you can change the shape of a blank pretty fast with it. I destroyed a little hand plane I was making by getting carried away with getting it smooth with the screen.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:41:32 PM »
I’ve never gotten screen to work.

I use 100-120 and then 220 sheets and pull it like the screen. Screen is too aggressive for eps imho

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:42:03 AM »
Use Abranet.  A nice, worn in piece of 80 to take off cutter scallops and finish with 120. 

MISC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal