Author Topic: Wing foil sessions - beginner  (Read 14137 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing foil sessions - beginner
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »
Next week looks pretty good according to iWindsurf. I've moved to La Jolla Shores now so Mission is pretty handy. It would be cool to get some wind here in La Jolla, but so far I haven't seen much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »
Ok so now able to start riding on foil switch. Still not pretty and not consistent but knowing how this all works Iím probably 2-3 sessions from getting that to where Iím comfortable. Iíll start trying toe side then but for now Iím going to start practicing on land since I seem to be pretty stiff in my waist and shoulder rotation.

One limitation to learning is that I really canít head upwind strongly switch so for now I have to only try when Iíve made good progress on my good side.

Yesterday was steady 15 mph with gusts to 20 (I think) and it felt overpowered at times with my 5m. I am learning to ďflyĒ the wing and depower and power it up as the wind shifts. I even used that second handle on the swing a bit. Lol  But man, I could use some steady Hawaiian wind. (Couldnít we all here in mainland winter?)

Got an Apple Watch and used Surfline Sessions to track my rides. Fastest speed I show was 13mph. Iím assuming that as I get better Iíll make more speed? I will say that when the speed hits 13 feels crazy fast with a strong wind blowing you. Must be wild in 30. It looks like I was going about as fast as the average wind with the gusts. Is this to be expected? And will speed come with experience (and yes, I think Iím about to try moving down to my faster foil on better days too.)

I want to also report that with my feet in the right position I can fully control this XL Gong Rise. I can see how the speed tops out but between managing my wing angles and keeping the front down, a small person can 100% learn on a big wing and itís is fun now to pop onto foil immediately. So Iím glad I have this wing to start with. Also, for switch riding itís been great to have the stability and slow reaction speed for sure.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:30:50 AM by surfcowboy »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »
Fastest speed I show was 13mph. Iím assuming that as I get better Iíll make more speed? I will say that when the speed hits 13 feels crazy fast with a strong wind blowing you. Must be wild in 30. It looks like I was going about as fast as the average wind with the gusts. Is this to be expected?

Or 40, but that's heavy guy territory until you get some smaller wings.

When you can trim well, the highest speed angle is about 100 degrees to the wind. At that angle you can go quite a bit faster than windspeed if the wind is fairly light.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »
Ok, I gave it a few days but I canít interpret ď100į to the wind ď

On a 360į plane, where is the wind from? And where is my nose aimed?

For example if wind is from 0į (North) Iíd normally go across it at 270į W or 90į E as an easy angle. What would you say my nose could reach if I was headed 90įand turned North?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »
Ok, 2-3 more sessions and the switch stance makes sense to me now. Iím riding with my front foot angled and my big toe maybe an inch off center. I was having trouble veering heel side sometimes when regular and then toe side when switch.

I seem to have solved both by leaving front foot in place on both and edging my back foot to where my toes are maybe 3-4 inches to the toe side rails. This allows me to control turns and keep straight on a reach when I want.

Rode a 6m wing in light wind today and loved it. Probably a good idea for SoCal and would open up a ton of days. My quiver may look more like 6 & 4 as I progress but Iím gonna see how my 5 goes as I learn. My pumping is coming along.

Ok so for straps, Iím not sure if a back strap will work for me with what Iím doing. Do I put one in behind my usual spot for when I need it and run with my foot out mostly or does the back strap give leverage to let me offset less? Iím getting curious about straps now.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2021, 10:57:08 AM »
Wow, great thread!! We went to 3 mile last weekend. Iíve winged around 10 times and am using a Gong HIPE 5í3Ē 110L, Gong Rise XXl or Xl, 80 cm mast, 6 m Ozone or 9 m Gong superpower.
Iím able to fly heel side regular and go up wind. Switch is killing me. I can sail back and not lose ground but get ruined trying to fly. The wing dips down when I start flying and I crash into it. I am so frustrated am thinking of going toe side and flying to fight the rage. Thoughts and tips on toe side?
We are from Spokane and usually donít have enough wind. When I took the 9 m out I got ripped off the board in the air!! Lol
We are also not going out into the river past the inlet.

Thanks,

Ben

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »
Man, itís all about patience. 2-3 sessions and each skill comes. But yeah thinking in switch seems so wrong and then it works. Glad you like the thread. It was to light the way when it seems impossible lol.

bigmtn

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »
Got my first tacks today! First attempt came really close, made it around, but dropped down off foil, but was able to pump back up onto foil fairly quickly. Next 4 or 5 attempts were worse, haha. Then boom, made it through and stayed on foil. Then proceeded to do 4 more in a row without falling or coming off foil. I wouldn't call them smooth, haha, but they felt pretty good!

This video helped me visualize the movement:
https://youtu.be/HrY2IOHUsa8

Now to figure out going back the other direction, heal to toe side.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2021, 02:12:11 AM »
Sweet!   You guys are killing it.  No better feeling than hard earned achievement.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2021, 08:20:50 AM »
Yeah Bill! Thatís rad. Iím still sort of brain broken on the wing moves of heel to toe racks but I know like all wing things itís just ďtry it and youíll feel it.Ē

Congratulations and yes, the purpose of this thread was to show how the progression of basics in winging flow:

Impossible
Then wonky
Then acceptable
Then smooth

In 1-2 sessions per stage once youíve built the previous skills to start trying. This seems to be my path to switch and now Iím confirming it on Jibes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2021, 07:01:33 AM »
The wing switch for tacks is super-easy with a fake boom. I did one a few days ago one-handed. Shocked the shit out of me that it worked. I just turned upwind and let the wing blow over my head. I sailed out of the tack one-handed and then switched about a hundred yards later, then blew about ten jibes in a row.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2021, 08:41:58 PM »
I made a mini boom for my Switch. Itís front handle to just behind the last one which I hope will give me a little more grunt on light days.

Canít wait to try it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal