Author Topic: Wing foiler Tamarindo  (Read 4943 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Wing foiler Tamarindo
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
While doing my lunchtime surf break 'better-than-mine' check.  I spotted a WING!  He's pretty much outside, so it's hard to see the brand, etc. A few seconds later, he pumped up on to foil.  Sometime last year there was a yellow F-1 in the same area. Tamarido's wind, that I have seen, seems more a decent breeze. I have not seen much white water. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing foiler Tamarindo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:55:34 PM »
I was there during Jan and we’d get 25mph offshores. That was the only bummer to me, strong offshores. But if I had a boat guy’s cell number I’d try it lol. Call formthe water taxi if it got weird. (I’m 100%not kidding.)

Curious about CR and I’ll bet the Caribbean side is onshore and awesome.

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 02:14:11 PM »
That was me winging with my Ensis 5.2. Today I went out with a 4M Cloud.
Brought my foilsurfmachines 5'1 sup and a bunch of Axis foils.

More wind than usual this trip. Brought my paddle for sup also but been winging more than sup. It's been great!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 06:05:43 PM »
Offshore wind isn't such a big deal with a wing. Yes, you need to pay attention, and sure, there will be some butt-clenching moments when it seems like you're doomed to visit faraway lands, but generally, there is a direction that will get you back, you just might need to go a lot further than you planned to make it work.

Some of the best wind at Cardiff tends to be straight offshore. I got out a little far being exuberant and had to go way the heck down almost to Torrey Pines to take advantage of the little bit of angle I could manage going north. I came in at a super shallow angle to the beach and there were some moments when I was convinced I'd be landing someplace in Carlsbad (if I was lucky) but it was enough. Didn't even have to do the walk of shame.

How do you like the Ensis NewEngland?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »
This week was my first time trying the Ensis 5.2 and it's the only size I have. The rest of my wings are Clouds.

I need to try it back to back with my 5M Cloud but my initial thoughts are:

- the long handles are nice for adjusting your grip. I think I still prefer the simplicity of the Cloud's two handles but it could just be a matter of getting used to the Ensis.

- the rigidity of the Ensis is nice but I think you're paying for it with increased weight. The lighter Clouds probably have a narrower range based on less rigidity. Not sure yet which has better low end.

- the Ensis is probably great for harnessed in riding.

- in the waves I find the Clouds easier to toss around but that again could be because I'm more used to them. The Ensis fly super stable when flagged out using the leading edge handle.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
So cool...!   That explains the White wing.  Here's youse @11am EST Sunday ...wind check: ENE 21kts. (courtesy of https://www.surfline.com/surf-report/tamarindo/5842041f4e65fad6a7708b9b). ..which looks to be Side with a bit of On. (from 1,000mi away..)

You look like you don't have any issues... 'couple of pumps - up you go.

NEF'er... You need to make an appt. here for the camera.  Pick a time—and post here—around midday (EST) during the week where you will stand with your kit near the lady that rubs your legs. (try walking away from that without bringing a hat or towel..)

(I am a little disappointed about the quality of a screenshot... I may also try a camera.  NEF is just off the bow of the boat in this shot)

Jim

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
Ha! Which lady is that??

Rode my 3M Cloud today for a couple hours. Loving the Axis 980/420 combo with the 86cm CF mast.

The offshore wind works well here!

Here's the trace from my Garmin watch.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 08:55:28 PM »
Nice man! Scored a killer sesh! Are you getting great swell to ride with that side off wind I hope?

I was a hard core windsurfer in CR from 98 to 2000...spent some time on the pacific trying tu surf (ie almost drowning and killing my neck to almost catch one.5 waves per 3 hour sesh) and NEVER dar more than 12 knots anywhere.. From Corcovado to M. ANTONIO TO JACO TO the entire Nicoya Peninsula EXCEPT of course.. SALINAS BAY way up by Nicaragua... And my Beloved Arenal.

Now that I wing.. I think I'd be looking for spots up north that actually get some of those winter winds... WITCHES ROCK maybe?

Anyway.. Keep killing it... Mae!
Tuanis!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 07:00:16 AM »
There's a couple of tables set up under a canopy just to the right in this camera's view.  I cannot imagine any tourist not being chill enough to require a massage?!  I'd also like to bring saddles and rent horses for a week or so. Just sitting around—I can do at home. 

When you get the time, NEF... also chronicle the ins/outs of traveling during Covid in the travel section here.  We used to have a Saturday in/Saturday out direct flight from Baltimore. It has been off the schedule for a while.

Jim

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 05:18:28 PM »
The wind has been great here in Tamarindo this week. Been out every day riding my 3 and 4M wings with my Axis 980. It's been mostly offshore but I can get enough angle to ride waves on port tack.

I can get over to the middle of playa grande in about ten minutes from Tamarindo. Done that a couple times. The wildlife is pretty great, saw baby sharks, flying fish and a stingray. Luckily, didn't meet a crocodillo!

Can't believe I'm the only winger here! I did see three French local sup foilers out a couple days ago though...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 07:55:49 AM »
Wed. ~10:30 am EST.  Winds side off ~20kts.  Different day - different wing - same c'hitty screen rez.

Jim

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
Yup, me again, today on the 5.2 Ensis and the Axis 980 again.

This was my last day. Winged 8 for 8 days, mostly on the 4M, mostly offshore winds.

Passed the covid test so I can fly back to Boston. Kind of wish I had failed!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 08:36:14 PM »
That side shore run to playa grande has to be fun. Glad to hear this is a do-able spot.

NewEnglandFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 04:51:27 AM »
Can't stop thinking about it, need to go back!

Thinking next time of bringing a paddle for the trip over to have just in case.

Witch's Rock would also be sick!

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
Passed the covid test so I can fly back to Boston. Kind of wish I had failed!

Woah, what ?
No Covid test needed to get into CR, but you need a Covid test to get back into the states?
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal