Author Topic: Looks like the V3 cabrinha.. With windows.. Now out  (Read 11434 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looks like the V3 cabrinha.. With windows.. Now out
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 09:16:39 PM »
I flew the 4m Mantis the other day and loved it. I have 4, 5 and 6 Crosswing X2. Mantis handles are a huge upgrade from the Crosswing X2 handles. However, I locked my Crosswing handles together with a 3rd miniboom which tied all 3 handles together. This is not needed on the Mantis as the handles no longer move laterally (front to back) on the strut. I loved it the Mantis.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

lakemichiganwingfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »
I have the mantis 4.0 and really like it. However the fabric on the handles move, like rotate when you grip them, so you have to over grip causing forearm cramping. I am going to try to come up with a solution for that maybe taping them tighter on the handles?
naish s25 hover 75ltr
Cabrinha mantis v2 6.0 wing
cabrinha mantis 4.0
gofoil gt1400 rs1150 FTL 20

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:26 PM »
Let us know if you find something that works.

I have the mantis 4.0 and really like it. However the fabric on the handles move, like rotate when you grip them, so you have to over grip causing forearm cramping. I am going to try to come up with a solution for that maybe taping them tighter on the handles?
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:02 AM »
Well, I love the performance of the Cabrinha Mantis wing! :)

I had my first session on my new Mantis 6.2m in ocean (SF Bay area with nice small ground swell running). I needed to find a light wind opportunity - wind was 12-15 mph (I was on Axis 1000 wing, 105L board, 91 cm mast, 90kg). Actually, it was a double session (was tired and had wing dry but two friends showed up and I went back out). Previously, I had a session on a borrowed 4m Mantis (in SF Bay) and didn't want to come in and return it.

I love the lightness and stability when drifting off the LE 'drift' handle and also the low end power (granted it is a 6m). Lightness allowed for jibes to be quick and efficient (even on 6m). I like the improved minibooms (new more oval shape and vastly improved more rigid connection to the strut compared to Cabrinha's previous). I love the instantaneous power adjustments allowed by sliding hand on the back miniboom handle and also the extra space on the front handle for hand changes. As also mentioned by lakemichiganwingfoiler, I did notice a little slippage of the webbing covering the handles (along the axis of wrist to finger tips/wingtip to wingtip) but it was not particularly bothersome (and I am sensitive as I have had grip-related fatigue issues with other wings). I have heard from a source and 2nd hand that Airtimekite may have a fix for this webbing slippage problem.

As flkiter mentioned, packdown is slow (due to small diameter connection of hose on one pump system). Ozone v2 (and I suppose others) really got this inflation-deflation right with dedicated large diameter ports on strut and LE. I need to relearn how to pack a wing. I have been putting my Crosswing X2 in car by keeping struts firmly inflated and rolling wingtips in to the strut (haven't used a bag in months. The fat fat strut on Mantis (and lack of independent inflation or clamp valve isolating strut) will require a new approach.

I like one handed flying for a little extra power on swell and waves but this 6.2 wing can not be flown off just the front handle unlike flkiter said the 4m wing can be flown. I'll need to consider to add a miniboom between the front and back handle to allow this (as I did for my Crosswing X2s).

Have enjoyed riding with NSI wingding-style hook (I made my own for 2" belt from 1/2" Delrin) and wish the Mantis came with dedicated attachment for harness line... but this too can be solved.

I am looking forward to receiving additional sizes of the Mantis (some day)!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:14:39 AM by liv2surf »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
I have the 4,5 and 6. The 4 meter is the only one I've found can be flown off the front handle. They lacked on the testing to get the handles right on the bigger sizes. Ether put them further down the strut or make them longer. They're so close to an amazing wing if they fix the details.

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »
Any more feedback on these? My beloved 5m swing has recently exploded and I'm on the market for a light and minimalistic wing. I can't demo and am almost pulling the trigger online, but a bit worried about the handles/mini-booms...
Me: 75kg
Board: Indiana 74l
Wings: Swing V2 5m, Takoon 4m
Foils: Gong Veloce L

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2021, 01:23:04 PM »
For light winds the new swing V2 5 meter is my favorite. Light, low end grunt and good lift for jumps. Also great in the waves. If you want a 4 meter for higher winds then the Mantis is great but I went back on my 4.5 ensis the other day after over 2 months of not being on it and every trick was so easy. Best of lift for jumps and speed.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2021, 04:45:17 PM »
Any more feedback on these? My beloved 5m swing has recently exploded and I'm on the market for a light and minimalistic wing. I can't demo and am almost pulling the trigger online, but a bit worried about the handles/mini-booms...

I would consider the Swing v2, Strike, BRM W2 and the PPC.  They are all pretty light and very good wings

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2021, 06:46:59 PM »
I would consider the Swing v2, Strike, BRM W2 and the PPC.  They are all pretty light and very good wings

Being in Europe I have no easy access to Brm and PPC, and the Mantis Is 200 euro cheaper than the swing V2... have you tried It?
Me: 75kg
Board: Indiana 74l
Wings: Swing V2 5m, Takoon 4m
Foils: Gong Veloce L

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »
Yes, I have either owned or tried all the wings I mentioned  and the Mantis

deja vu