Author Topic: Joe Bark unlimited at -5f  (Read 7846 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joe Bark unlimited at -5f
« on: February 14, 2021, 07:11:53 PM »
Got it loaded up this morning.  15f at my house but -5f in the shadow of the  mountain.  I at least got to try it out. Just as Talldude says, good secondary stability.  I wasn't able to try different positions as the deck got super icy except under my feet. The solid foam doesn't transmit any of the warmth like the inflatable.Hit almost 12 kph  ... but I thinks I got a 2 or 3 kph boost from the light current.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:14:35 PM by deepmud »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Joe Bark unlimited at -5f
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »
I was surprised how easily I could turn it with either sticking my paddle out front at angle to act like a front rudder or  just a cross stroke. I suspect it will weather-vane in crosswinds. Maybe add a ventral fin?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:38:07 PM »
Great to see you getting it out on the water. From the side picture you were standing a little too far back. Usually right on the handle or a few inches forward. Both the unlimiteds you got will be faster and glide better than you inflatable. Even more so when you load them up with gear. Flex is like paddling with the emergency brake on. I wonder if you can tape on a thin piece of outdoor carpet from rail to rail where you stand, and put a whole package of chemical foot warmers under it?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 07:40:01 PM »
That last photo is breath taking...
It's not overhead to me!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 06:07:55 PM »
That last photo is breath taking...
Thanks - the spot has that combination of man-made straight lines and nature's straight lines on the mountain, the black water, the white snow. That sun-lit peak runs from almost sea level to over 6k (Pioneer Peak) - There aren't any foothills in a glacier valley - so it's pretty much a sheer face going six thousand feet up.

I should have some nice photos in a couple days -a budding photographer came out to do a shoot of me in the fog and ice, and Chuck the kayaker came out so we got pics of both of us. Chuck is an AVID paddler, and I felt good just keeping up with his sea kayak. I think if he was in his 14' Klepper I'd have a good advantage, at least in flat water. In he 19'(17?) xNarrow :D sea kayak he can pull ahead but he has to work at it.

Standing position - once I tried stop - I was STUCK :D I tried scooting forward a bit - all I got was SLIPPERY footing. It really shows you how much you depend on driving power down through your feet when they won't stick to the deck :D  You can see in that photo of the decking it was covered in ice. Re: Heating pads - they don't like to get wet, and they need air - so you can't seal them up (like, they don't work well in a boot either :D )  I have a theory that my inflatable takes "warmth" from the water and carries it up to the decking, and that was melting the water under my feet - but I doubt the Bark transmits ANY heat up from below -and still, it was melted under my feet - despite layers of wool felt, neoprene, multiple pairs of socks - So - I seem to be melting ice under my boot soles. Maybe I should invest in electric insoles on the boots. Good ones exist - but this is not cheap - and I am cheap lol.  I keep meaning to bring a bag of rock salt - melt the ice, or give traction - either is good :D

Tie-downs. Suggestions? Screws and loops like a kayak? Just....silicone the screw holes? Glue? I'm like - hey - there are NONE :D I had to leave my bag of try-to-not-die gear on the shore. I couldn't get gorilla tape to stick in the cold - I burnt the tip of my right index finger a bit as it was, what with messing with phone/bag/tape without the mittens on. Mittens - SO much better than gloves, at least for me. I grew up in Alaska with various not great "ski gloves" and froze moderately both some fingers and toes - the circulation is not good on index/middle finger/thumb - they all go numb in cold with the gloves, but mitts work fine for me, even the thumb is warm.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:16:15 PM »
The electric inserts may work. As for the tie downs, you can glue / epoxy anything to the board. I figure out where I'm going to place the mount, mask the perimeter of the mount and sand the paint down to the glass for a good bond. I have these on a number of my boards. I have the handle version on a few boards and they hold if you sand the board and bottom of the mount before gluing it down.
https://surfcohawaii.com/ez-plug-heavy-duty-kit-twin-black-or-white/

It's not overhead to me!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
 More photos lol. Photographers go to this location a lot. This was on a hiking page.
link for original Photographer credit:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/vansup/permalink/2933673163527275/?sfnsn=mo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »
You are now officially "this guy paddling". Have to buy her a cup of coffee at least.
It's not overhead to me!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 06:20:48 AM »
"This guy paddling" and "That guy on the sup" and "Paddler I saw" - and I suspect "that nut out on the water at -10!!" somewhere on the internet :D. that top image is bigger on FB (hey - went did the Zone start just adjusting pic size? It's SO much easier - I forgot to resize some photos and just loaded them and - ta-daa! - Zone is doing it for me now - SO much easier) and you can see details like water trailing from the paddle - I didn't look on real pc till yesterday and wow! the color gradient from left to right - light/pink to dark/blues - that is a striking image. I wish I'd known to pose I'd want a nice shot of the reach/stretch for the catch. I got a drone for my birthday - maybe I can figure out how to use it for shots like this. All I can see right now in all these is that I'm too far back and I should have worn a cooler-looking hat lol oh and the mittens look as clumsy as they feel  -  but my hands were warm so that was nice. Maybe this next weekend I can try the Hobie. I was oncall this week so no having fun/being too far from a keyboard.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:04:03 AM »
Talldude - how crazy would it be to make a cutout for gear like Karl's NWP Bark on the my Bark and/or Hobie?  I would make it more square-sided - perhaps match this bag I have. I've done fiberglass before - I'm pretty sure my carbon-work would be just as  imperfect, and not well "squeezed out" - so it would add weight beyond just the design requirments.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »
Deep, again more inspiring activity and photos.  Beautiful country.

NSI has a bunch of quality tie down options.

https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=93
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal