Author Topic: Switch to Prone (Pros/Cons)  (Read 11303 times)

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Switch to Prone (Pros/Cons)
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2021, 09:12:03 PM »
I told myself I would give prone foiling a go at the beginning of the year. I primarily sup foil Downwind on the weekends wind permitting. It is physically demanding at my age but I wanted to at least try. I’ve been riding the same Naish board which I knew was a bit small (29L) for a beginner but I got a great deal on it and I’m a bit too cheap a stubborn to buy another or give up. I am using the same foil (210 signature albatross) that I Downwind on. Plenty of lift and glide but not as surfy as I would like. I can get 2 for ones sometimes but not feeling the pump like I do Downwind. Anyways, I carry it in my truck so I can surf after work if there is something to surf. I won’t switch to prone only because paddling kills my neck and in my mind nothing is better than downwinding. It’s like riding a wave for 10 miles without stopping. Never crowded 😁 So realistically I say prone if you like,sup if you like, just get in the water and enjoy something!

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 10:10:36 PM »
I keep threatening to give the prone game a real shot and planned to get into it this spring/summer, then Fluffy showed back up this week. She's still 12' and a little rounder in the middle since last summer, but aren't we all. She kept lurking at Nukes all afternoon today and gave me a nice big fat profile view in the face of a set wave that came my way. I know statistically we are more likely to be killed by bees or lightening than a shark, but I bet she doesn't know that.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 10:27:06 PM »
I keep threatening to give the prone game a real shot and planned to get into it this spring/summer, then Fluffy showed back up this week. She's still 12' and a little rounder in the middle since last summer, but aren't we all. She kept lurking at Nukes all afternoon today and gave me a nice big fat profile view in the face of a set wave that came my way. I know statistically we are more likely to be killed by bees or lightening than a shark, but I bet she doesn't know that.
Yep, it can be a bit of a mind game especially when your 1/4 mile or more offshore sitting on your prone board with water up to your waist. Can’t just raise your legs and rest them on top like a sup. Laying on the board ain’t much better as now your life giving organs are a nibble away. A few more bodies in the water helps a bit but in the back of my mind I can’t help but think getting back to shore may be the last thing I do. So....screw it and enjoy while you can! Take the best precautions you can but don’t stop enjoying what you like.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »
I see this as more incentive. Prone whitewater takeoffs happen in far too shallow water for a 12’er.

When I’m SUPing SanO I’m sitting out there where they’re cruising. I’m far too delicious to tempt those poor hungry creatures like that. 😂

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 08:44:21 PM »
While the statistics are strongly influenced by the simple fact that humans don't spend that much time in the water (unless they are nuts, like we are) you really can't find a method likely to result in serious injury or death that happens less often than shark attacks. Coke machines falling on you? nope. That's about 10X. Dogs?? Not even close. 4.5 million severe bites per year,  30 to 50 deaths, 10,000 to 30,000 hospitalizations just in the USA. Okay, how about cows. nope 20+ per year.

Anyway, the good part about not that many people hanging out in the water is that sharks do not consider us food--we are unreliable targets. They are damned effective predators, and the most important thing for a predator to do is to specialize on the most available prey and know everything about them. Thankfully that is not us.

Worry all you like about your dangly parts, but they are much more likely to be snagged by an alligator or crocodile than by a shark.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM