Author Topic: Tesla designs. Not really SUP friendly  (Read 7940 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Tesla designs. Not really SUP friendly
« on: February 12, 2021, 07:37:23 PM »
So I’m looking to get a electric vehicle and one of the options would be a Tesla. I really like the model X. Not that I can afford it  but one can dream. After looking at it I began to think that the design is kina stupid. You can’t even put a roof rack on because of the bat wing doors. I did see a model 3 with a roof rack but the car is too small for me. Next in line would be e Cybertruck which I would love to buy but I keep asking myself how the heck I would carry a 14’ SUP on that thing. This brings me to the question, is Tesla just not designing their cars SUP friendly?
On a different note... the VW Buzz looks awesome. Could see myself in one of those.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla designs. Not really SUP friendly
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:53:06 PM »
Model Y or Cybertruck. I'm in line for a Cybertruck which will be the perfect surf vehicle. If the Cybertruck wasn't in the pipeline I'd grab a model Y and turn it into the new funmobile. Very capable set of wheels. It's like the tardis--a lot bigger on the inside than on the outside.

I plan on hacking the heck out of mine. resale value--zero but I won't care, I'll be dead. Buy it from my estate.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:01:33 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 02:32:06 AM »
Foilman, are you looking to go on or in?  Tesla doesn't have a good "in" option yet.  CyberTruck will be great if you dig the aesthetic.

We picked up a 2021 S a few months ago.  Fantastic car but Tesla is struggling with the details right now.  So many avoidable issues if they weren't in operating at "Make Quota" speed.  On the upside, our service trips to correct these things did get us loaner X.  I agree with you, the X is a stupid SUV.  It could be great but the doors kill it for up top use and the room it has inside is not that useable for gear.  It is really a kid hauler.  The Y is a great vehicle and we may get one.  Like Bill mentioned it is surprisingly spacious but the hatch opening itself is a bit small and is going to be a lot of work for (inside) wing boards, etc.  On top for anything and inside for shortboards, snowboards, etc. should be no problem.

Rivian (now in production) looks great as well and the VW looks sweet but it may still be a while. 

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
We are seeing more surfboards on top of Model 3s here in Tofino. The roof rack looks like an easy installation. I would transport my Sups on on our 3 but this is verboten as is a wet dog inside as dictated by my sensible partner (we have an ICE SUV). Not sure what will happen when we drop down to one car again.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »
Rivian (now in production) looks great as well and the VW looks sweet but it may still be a while.

We are still a few years away from getting a new car, but when the time comes we have decided we will go electric. The ones I'm keeping an eye on right now are the Rivian and the VW Microbus.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:52:34 PM »
+1 on the model X being a piece o' shit. We had one as a loaner--stupid beyond belief. If they paid the tiniest bit of attention to what people use SUVs for they would have built a completely different car. And I probably would have bought one.

What I REALLY like about the Cybertruck is that its stainless steel. I LOVE welding stainless. It's a tiny bit tricky since you have to purge the O2 off the back of the part you're welding or you get a crusty, damaged mess, but do it right and it welds like spreading butter and the finished welds can be beautiful. Titanium can be even more glorious, but I'm not waiting for a TiCybertruck.

Why does this matter you might ask, and here's the part that will send Admin running to go barbeque some pizza with his hands over his eyes: You say you want a rack--no problemo, weld one on. Or at least weld on the mount. Screw screws, this thing is a welder's wet dream.

And if I want to make significant modifications I can do it without panel beating and working up a sweat on my English wheel--grab some stainless and bend up the form. I won't even need a buck. Any compound curves will look out of place--call me origami-san. I have two sheet metal brakes, a pan and box brake, a bead roller, and a tubing bender. As soon as I get my notification that I can come to get mine I'm going to order a bunch of stainless steel. Easy, Peasy.

Here's a monster truck version modeled out of paper.

I'm probably one of the most experienced people on the planet when it comes to working on vehicles with no compound curves. This is my race car. I've rebuilt crushed panels in the paddock and had the tech inspectors say "I don't know if this is good or bad, but this thing looks exactly the same as it did before the crash".

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 01:06:11 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 06:07:43 PM »
And yes, that's the late, great Chris Economaki interviewing me. The blue car I came in second to is THE Meister Brauser Chaparral 1, probably somewhere between $5 and 10 million if you could even get the racer who owns it to sell his. Well driven with four times the horsepower of Peyote, and we finished on the same lap and I could still see him--just a blue dot, but still... Peyote punches WAY past its weight. The rest of the field was equally prestigious, and the Amazing Peyote spanked their butts. I paid $30K for this car and a trailer--it was a very nice trailer.

I'm so fucking proud to own and race this little car. If only because my late middle brother David who was a serious racing fan, came to see me race at Limerock, and was so blown away he couldn't say anything. He and Bob (Stoneaxe) helped me work on the car all weekend after the clutch came apart. We got it back together and raced the shit out of it. He kept trying to tell me what it meant to him, and he kept choking up and couldn't say anything. That was the same weekend I gave Bob my new Starboard 12' 6" because I thought it might help him with his vertigo--and a whole chapter of amazing Cape Cod Bay Challenge paddles and races began. I still can't read my brother Dave's comments at the end of this post without tearing up. Hey, I never cry. https://www.ponostyle.com/30-babcocks/

David drove up to Watkins Glen by himself a few weeks later because he just wanted to see me race Peyote on a track that he loved as a spectator, and slept in a leaky tent during a fierce rainstorm in the back of his car. Peyote got more or less destroyed (of course we rebuilt it!) in that race, but my brother and I had the best time, probably the closest and best weekend we ever had together. It was the last time I saw him. I miss him like crazy, but how lucky I am to have that burned into my memories.

https://www.ponostyle.com/punted-at-watkins-glen/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:48:45 PM by PonoBill »

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 04:21:01 AM »
Good stuff, PB, good stuff.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 06:21:51 AM »
great story! I'm going to call my brother right now....

Just looking over your website, I'm tired just looking at all the projects that you have done. Impressive!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:35:14 AM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 11:09:59 AM »
Model Y or Cybertruck is the ticket for boardsports.  We bought our Model 3 in May 2018.  VIN # is in the 17,000's, so it was pretty early.  We got a good one with no manufacturing issues. It is the most fun car I have ever owned.  They didn't make the dual motor at that time, and prices have actually come down some.  Today, I could buy a dual motor with the same upgrades for the same price I paid in 2018 for the rear motor model 3.  Now though I would definitely get the Model Y, long range battery with dual motor.
I still deal with the problem of my wife not allowing me to use it to go surfing.  It still looks brand new.
We recently (2 weeks ago) bought a 2021 Ford Explorer, with all the bells and whistles that we have become accustomed to in the Tesla Model 3.
We now realize we should have waited for the Cybertruck to start production.  The Explorer has a lot of things that the M3 has, but the user interface is so cumbersome in the new Ford that it hinders wanting to use some of it. I am sure we will learn how to use it. But it is really amazing when you compare Telsa's user interface for adaptive cruise control, staying in the lane, lane changing, music choices and other features to what Ford is doing.  Tesla is way ahead of the game.
The only thing I would like in my M3 is active collision avoidance, when I haven't engaged cruise or self drive.

So the ticket is get a "non-premium" model Y, with roof racks, then you won't feel so bad about getting sand in the carpet. Or wait for the Cybertruck.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 12:46:06 AM »
Telsa's user interface for adaptive cruise control, staying in the lane, lane changing, music choices and other features to what Ford is doing.  Tesla is way ahead of the game.

The interface is awesome.  Voice control is fantastic.  It makes Maps and Music tremendous.  The visual of surrounding vehicles is outstanding.  There are other very good interfaces out there but this is the best so far.

It makes you wonder.  How can the app suck so badly?  Not only is the app clunky itself and super failure prone but the human response side is ridiculous.  Since they are pushing all customer service to be app initiated/managed it really has to do better.  That may just be that they are overwhelmed right now but the customer service experience is seriously substandard. How can wifi (for upgrades, etc) be so bad/weak?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:48:10 AM by Admin »

ctuna

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 12:43:48 AM »
Model Y with a Rack will work if you don't mind Racking.
A Hatchback is just so much more practical.
If only you could remove the passanger seat it would give you a long space.
Pacifica Hybrid Van or a Toyota Rav4 Prime might be good choice.
Except you can't get a Rav 4 Prime cause Toyota didn't  make enough of
them and the few that get through are way over MSRP at most places.
I think you could get a 9' 5" in a Pacifica Van no problem, no racking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:58:41 AM by ctuna »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 03:24:12 AM »
Pacifica Hybrid Van
The ICE Pacifica is an amazing surf/foiling vehicle because you can lower all of the rear seats flat into the floor leaving a huge vertical and horizontal space.  We have one and it is a super comfortable, great driving van.  Sadly, you lose the flat folding with the Hybrid because of the battery.  This would be a killer all electric vehicle because they could max out the cargo area.

What a great looking vehicle that new RAV-4 is.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 03:27:25 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
It might seem strange that Toyota builds so few of its plug-in hybrids other than Prius, there certainly is a hungry market. Part of the reason is profit--as in, there probably isn't any, or at least not much. There is an endless debate going on about hybrid profitability.

I think profitability is an anachronism unless you're a farmer or a small businessman, and even then, farming is more about subsidies than selling apples. Companies that aim to grow rapidly, or who are playing a long game, or who need to change their products dramatically, are wasting time and resources making a profit unless it's to reassure the geezers who own their stock that the company is viable. Toyota has to satisfy the Geezers, Tesla does too--sort of, but not as much. Some trivial amount of profit that will never matter to the company is enough to shove its valuation higher than all the carmakers put together. Or not.

Some folks recently made a few billion bucks pumping the stock of a brick and motor company selling games. Yeah, OK boomer. That's how a product that consists of 1's and 0's will continue to be sold. I enjoyed the theatre of a bunch of politicians trying to demonstrate they had the slightest clue about what just happened, never mind how to manage or regulate it. Funniest streamed video since Caddyshack. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:19:11 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »
Pacifica Hybrid Van
The ICE Pacifica is an amazing surf/foiling vehicle because you can lower all of the rear seats flat into the floor leaving a huge vertical and horizontal space.  We have one and it is a super comfortable, great driving van.  Sadly, you lose the flat folding with the Hybrid because of the battery.  This would be a killer all electric vehicle because they could max out the cargo area.

What a great looking vehicle that new RAV-4 is.

It's kind of surprising that some US carmaker doesn't just take a basic van model like the Pacifica and slip a skateboard under it. That van I bought in Maui would be awesome with basic e stuff. I know the carmakers don't do things that way, but they could be in the game with simple, simple, simple all-electric vans that are basically an engine and drivetrain delete--and stop sending Tesla money for regulatory credits. I suspect there's a substantial market for a 30K electric van with a 150-mile range. Charge in your garage, soccer-mom, grocery getter, and  surfer's dream. It will never happen.

The Nissan Leaf sold well for a long time--500,000 units worldwide, and initially, it had a ludicrous range and was gutless. The last of the leafs, the e+ has a 215 mile range from it's 65KWH air-cooled battery, and 214 hp, but it cost $44k, about the same as a higher-spec model 3, which is deadly. I think it's being replaced by an ev crossover that Nissan is calling the Aria. I guess we'll see how that does against the Model Y.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:56:28 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal